+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Spiess

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsetts_Pie View Post
    His path will be blocked by playing Hewitt in his position until we can sign someone whose end of career move is being lined up.
    Isn't Sam Osbourne a winger? When has Hewitt ever played on the wing for Notts? At the moment the only fit winger we have is Nathan Thomas so unless you want to change the formation to accomadate Nathan Thomas and Sam Osbourne I'm fine with him not getting a chance in the team at the moment.

Also, we're trying to stay up, not build for the future, throwing "the kids" in now wouldn't help anyone.

Spiess is not the only example though is he, of an up and coming player who didn't get the nurturing/coaching/development in order to make the grade. There must have been some raw talent there to get to the level he did. After that you need the talent to continue to develop whilst support comes from the club. Most posters on here can come up with a dozen names in 5 minutes where the player has reached the stage of knocking on the door only to see us sign some complete has-been whose career is on the wain.
    If it's that easy, give me a dozen who we have released without them getting a first team chance that have gone on to play at an equal or higher level than League 2. I can think of Luther Wildin, after that I'm struggling. The reason they end up in non-league isn't because Notts always have poor coaching, it's because they're just not good enough to make the grade. Spiess is just another of them.

Quote Originally Posted by DelroyFacey22 View Post
    Isn't Sam Osbourne a winger? When has Hewitt ever played on the wing for Notts? At the moment the only fit winger we have is Nathan Thomas so unless you want to change the formation to accomadate Nathan Thomas and Sam Osbourne I'm fine with him not getting a chance in the team at the moment.

Also, we're trying to stay up, not build for the future, throwing "the kids" in now wouldn't help anyone.
    Hewitt played wing back on Saturday. Osbourne would have been a better option in my opinion as he would have been far more attacking.
    And yes, we are trying to stay up, so throwing the kids in would give us a better chance as they would show some passion, desire and willingness, unlike the first team that get game time week in week out, as that has done wonders so far this season as the table is not telling lies, or would you prefer the same as we have seen so far this season till the last game?

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    If it's that easy, give me a dozen who we have released without them getting a first team chance that have gone on to play at an equal or higher level than League 2. I can think of Luther Wildin, after that I'm struggling. The reason they end up in non-league isn't because Notts always have poor coaching, it's because they're just not good enough to make the grade. Spiess is just another of them.
    The point I was making is that there have been players, and you as well as I could name plenty, who have hit the glass ceiling at our club, then disappeared off somewhere never to be seen again. You are right in that for some, their careers had probably "topped out" at that point, but for others, their lack of opportunity here wasn't due to their lack of ability but due to us signing a "proven" (and I use the term loosely) player to play in their position. So they are effectively binned off before they have had a chance.
    Last edited by Woodsetts_Pie; 14-01-2019 at 10:26 PM.

I would prefer to see Osbourne given a go wide right midfield giving it a go linking back to front, with pace, than what I saw Saturday where Hewitt was played in that role and neither created anything moving forward, or did anything solid defensively. Just my opinion of course.

As for not throwing in the kids, no lets just continue with the definition of insanity and keep trying week after week in the hope that Thomas and Hewitt are the answer.

The point I was making is that there have been players, and you as well as I could name plenty, who have hit the glass ceiling at our club, then disappeared off somewhere never to be seen again. You are right in that for some, their careers had probably "topped out" at that point, but for others, their lack of opportunity here wasn't due to their lack of ability but due to us signing a "proven" (and I use the term loosely) player to play in their position. So they are affectively binned off before they have had a chance.
    Not sure on that, if they were deemed ready for the first team they would surely have been used to save us money signing the journeymen you speak of. There are two possibilities here - the coaching at Notts County is so bad that it has ruined the careers of many good players, or the players themselves are just not good enough. I'm still waiting for that list of released players that have come back to bite us on the arse. Until I get one it doesn't seem logical to blame the coaching.

Whatever the question is. Thomas will never be the answer. It’s very rare that we bring in a loanee from a higher level who makes our worst contracted players look good.

I would prefer to see Osbourne given a go wide right midfield giving it a go linking back to front, with pace, than what I saw Saturday where Hewitt was played in that role and neither created anything moving forward, or did anything solid defensively. Just my opinion of course.
    I'd agree with you on that one, because Hewitt isn't a right back and he isn't a wing back. Either play him centre midfield where he can be useful, or don't play him at all. With Enzio injured I would like Osborne to get a chance.

Playing someone that at least has experience at full back in Hewitt as a wing back is a much more sensible approach than throwing an inexperienced winger in there and telling him to try and defend, that would be suicide. Hewitt was fine defensively too, the only goal we conceded was from a set piece and the only times we looked vulnerable were when Evina was being turned inside out on the other wing.

I don't think Hewitt was great by any means but our defending was generally fine which is a big step forward imo.

If Osbourne was good enough Ardley would be picking him, he's shown as much by playing Pierce Bird, as he said, playing against other U23's is one thing, but standing out when training with the rest of the first team shows more that a player is ready. Nathan Thomas scored twice in the last U23 game but I didn't see people calling for him to start on Saturday because of it

Wasn't Fabian Speiss around under your much preferred regime though McCulloch? I thought Alan Hardy was the big bad villian?
    Wrong again Delroy, you are as lethal as your namesake was.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast