+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Spiess

I understand the general feeling of youngsters not getting a chance and it is a problem, especially for a club that intend to make the development and sale of these players a source of future income. But it is also a general problem within the whole of football I feel from the Prem right down to us.

Teans aren't prepared to risk this development over league status which is why Prem youngsters go on loan down the divisions, then end up with a 2yr contract at somewhere like Notts, who claim they've signed the next big star. The same can be said for young championship players etc. Ours go out on loan to non league, its just the way it is.

As fans, we must also bare the brunt of some of those shortcomings as our desire to see successful football, most of the time outweighs anything else. If we don't get it, sack the manager. No manager is going to spend his time trying to develope talent, if his neck is on the chopping block.

If Notts think screw it, let's blood some youngsters now, to aid their development and we go down, I'll guarantee this board would be full of posters demanding to know why didn't we get experience in instead.

It's a no win situation.

Quote Originally Posted by McCullochisGod View Post
    Wrong again Delroy, you are as lethal as your namesake was.
    How am i wrong? Spiess arrived via Mick Leonard (or it was said so at the time) while Ray Trew was here and I thought your major problem was with Hardy, not Trew?

Quote Originally Posted by DelroyFacey22 View Post
    How am i wrong? Spiess arrived via Mick Leonard.

Well, who would have believed that?

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Well, who would have believed that?
    I would!

I also recall a "chat" when Mr L advised me, amongst aome other outlandish claims, that "........ We have a keeper who will be worth £2 million in a couple of years...". Big mistake - huge.

Spiess was just a useful prospect but he lacked the ability to progress and his career reflects his actual level of talent.

It is a pity, as well as a sad state of affairs, but we have produced and/or developed so little real talent in the past 25 years. You could probably name 2 or 3 from that period, that's it. No wonder we are into urgent mess, relying on cr@p mangers bringing in duff players. As I said upon his appointment, Ardley has my sympathy trying to do something with this rabble.

Interesting thread!

For me many Notts fans remember and relate to our succes in raising outstanding youth team players: Johnson, Draper, yates etc. They believe that we should and could be doing the same now but football has changed out of all recognition since then. Take into consideration the factors of:

The Bosman Ruling
    Football Agents
    The Premier League

...and the total financial imbalance created by these factors and it just is not going to be that easy anymore. IMO most of our younger players are just not that special and are destined to leave the club for that reason. The 'poor coaching / lack of coaching' doesn't ring true with me either because if the talent isn't there to start with, the coaching is only going to make a marginal improvement in the quality of the player.
    Last edited by pravda_plc; 15-01-2019 at 07:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pravda_plc View Post
    Interesting thread!

For me many Notts fans remember and relate to our succes in raising outstanding youth team players: Johnson, Draper, yates etc. They believe that we should and could be doing the same now but football has changed out of all recognition since then. Take into consideration the factors of:

The Bosman Ruling
    Football Agents
    The Premier League

...and the total financial imbalance created by these factors and it just is not going to be that easy anymore. IMO most of our younger players are just not that special and are destined to leave the club for that reason. The 'poor coaching / lack of coaching' doesn't ring true with me either because if the talent isn't there to start with, the coaching is only going to make a marginal improvement in the quality of the player.
    Good point. Add to that we are competing with Leicester, Derby and Forest to spot the local talent, and it's easy to see why we seem to end up with the dregs. The Premier League riches are another big factor - even if we do end up with a gem the new rules make it easy for them to snatch them for a pittance. They will pay £250,000 each for twenty promising youngsters in the hope one of them will make it. If only one of them does make it, they have got a first team player for an outlay of £5 million, which is pennies to most of them. If MiG is correct, we have been paid around £500,000 for Jack Bearne and Dongda He. On statistics alone, I doubt either of them will make the grade in the Premiership. They will probably end up being written off as a gamble worth taking.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345