+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New-striker update

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    Pocket, of course it's better to sign the right players and not just anyone for the sake of it but surely that applies to every club, not just Rotherham United.
    I don't know how our recruitment process works or who is ultimately responsible for getting signings "over the line" but I do know that the same obstacles and issues get trotted out by the manager in every transfer window. We don't seem to have made any progress at all in this area.
    Other clubs, small ones with limited budgets as well, seem to have their plans formulated in advance and make their moves early to secure their targets.
    For example S****horpe, who were floundering in the relegation zone in League 1, signed 5 new players in 48 hours almost as soon as the January window opened. I'm pretty sure they won't have a massive budget and they're hardly a club you'd imagine people would be queuing up to join, but they needed to take action and got on with it.
    I wish we would!
    Steve Evans would have signed 11 by now but 10 of them would have been shyboze..
    Didn't he leave because he was only allowed to sign quality not quantity?

Here's an analogy. Daughter is looking for her first car. Knows the specification she wants (4WD, 4CY, Automatic) and has a fixed budget. Been looking since November. There's some right crap out there and there's one or two gems that get snapped up pretty quickly. Transfer window opened recently (i.e. Christmas/January sales) where dealers are offering up to $12K off a new car and she could have it today. Only problem is to get that she'd need to be shopping in the $50K range. We continue looking for that $5K gem. Gets a bit old when you've looked at/test driven as many as I have

Quote Originally Posted by caytonmiller View Post
    Steve Evans would have signed 11 by now but 10 of them would have been shyboze..
    Didn't he leave because he was only allowed to sign quality not quantity?
    I'm not sure what this old chestnut has got to do with the current situation at the club.

Here is the full link (bit.ly links are blocked for me).

https://www.rotherhamadvertiser.co.u...iker_30251.htm

To get the right players of course. Although in the feeding frenzy that a "transfer window" has become we should be signing everyone and anyone to "show a ambition" apparently.

Who do I trust? The professional that is Paul Warne over any number of armchair managers every time.

I think if the club gets this wrong and we go down with a whimper then the supporters won’t be as forgiving this time.
    Like Warne done a good job however the next few weeks are critical and he has to get it right and I think he will.
    Patience needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    "There are other targets to go for but I'm very selective in who I want to bring in."

Is that Warne talking about being selective or the purse strings doing the talking? As for being selective, will this cost us in the long run about wanting players who are suited to his needs and not that of the club? Sometimes you need an ugly player who can get the ball over the line. All this 'Lovin' throughout the team is setting a 'bonding precedent' but where's our ruthless streak gone that use to wins us games?
    That's my worry Brin. I think warne is treating it like teaching rather than football management. To be brutally honest, and run the risk of being berated, I dont give a flying whether he turns the players into better human beings or not. All I care about, in the context of RUFC. is whether the first team wins on a saturday or tuesday.

I do wonder whether warne doesnt believe he has the management skill set to be the boss of players who aren't squeaky clean.

Never underestimate the role of snake oil salesman also known as football agents .

Playing one club off against another to earn themselves more ill gotten gains .

These parasites are the reason most of the transfer business is done on the last day .

Hold your nerve Millers .

Time of frustration, disappointment and occasionally finding a gem - another typical transfer window and the stakes are high once again...

Quote Originally Posted by gkotw View Post
    That's my worry Brin. I think warne is treating it like teaching rather than football management. To be brutally honest, and run the risk of being berated, I dont give a flying whether he turns the players into better human beings or not. All I care about, in the context of RUFC. is whether the first team wins on a saturday or tuesday.

I do wonder whether warne doesnt believe he has the management skill set to be the boss of players who aren't squeaky clean.
    gkotw, you just might have something there in that 'it's my classroom and you will all listen to me and be nice'. No bad lads or non attendees or those that won't buy into the team mentality. Nothing wrong with that, as most clubs have players that don't bond out of match time. Thing is though they bond on the pitch where it matters, even when their ego's may be inflated above others.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast