+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New-striker update

The only solution would be if we were taken over by billionaires and bought better players!

Generally the teams with the highest wage bills are the most successful, Leicester City being a welcome exception to that a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by mygiddypant View Post
    Jeez, there's some right shyte talked on this site. It's like a written version of Football Heaven.

It's truly amazing how many seem to think that because they have an idea that it becomes The Great Solution.

Please THINK before you write anything!
    That's a bit harsh, there may be certain threads where you could have a rant but i dont think anyone has said anything too controversial on this thread!!!

if it's taking longer to find suitable candidates because Warne is applying filters such as "they need to add something more than we've already got" and "they need to fit into the structure and culture we have consciously developed here that allows us to punch above our weight" that's something I can live with.

The scatter gun approach of " fire enough **** at the wall and some should stick" is an option - and one that allows you to start bringing 'em in fairly quickly - but I don't think it's one that as a club with a tiny budget in this league, we can afford.

I think this view that Warne is obsessed with the 'right kind of human being' - to the exclusion of body of potentially more talented, 'enfant-terrible' type players - is being a bit overdone.

I agree, CT.

If you start from the premise that Rotherham can't afford to buy success (and we can't - Stewart is running the club in a financially stable way) then you have to accept that we need to look for another solution to the problem.

Warne's solution - incredibly difficult as it must be - is to try to bring in honest hard working players who will buy into the idea of running through walls for the club and their team mates. Warne was managed by Ronnie Moore and it shows.

We could do a Stubbs and bring in the next Dexter Blackstock to placate some of the support, but I don't think that would be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    I agree, CT.

If you start from the premise that Rotherham can't afford to buy success (and we can't - Stewart is running the club in a financially stable way) then you have to accept that we need to look for another solution to the problem.

Warne's solution - incredibly difficult as it must be - is to try to bring in honest hard working players who will buy into the idea of running through walls for the club and their team mates. Warne was managed by Ronnie Moore and it shows.

We could do a Stubbs and bring in the next Dexter Blackstock to placate some of the support, but I don't think that would be a good idea.
    I agree that the players who will run through brick walls have got us through so far but we haven't got anyone with a natural eye for goal (well nothing has showed me that just yet) which is why we are talking about a striker here.

If there is someone who can score goals but doesn't always run through walls then maybe that's worth looking at?

People who score goals I would imagine cost more and want more wages. Maybe that's worth looking at within reason. If he scores then he can justify his wages to his team mates.

I'm only giving an opinion. It maybe wrong (just in case anyone is about to say I'm talking shyte)!!

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    if it's taking longer to find suitable candidates because Warne is applying filters such as "they need to add something more than we've already got" and "they need to fit into the structure and culture we have consciously developed here that allows us to punch above our weight" that's something I can live with.

The scatter gun approach of " fire enough **** at the wall and some should stick" is an option - and one that allows you to start bringing 'em in fairly quickly - but I don't think it's one that as a club with a tiny budget in this league, we can afford.

I think this view that Warne is obsessed with the 'right kind of human being' - to the exclusion of body of potentially more talented, 'enfant-terrible' type players - is being a bit overdone.
    Far and away the most sensible post on this thread CT (but I would say that because I agree 100%)
    Warney has made a bit of a rod for his own back by regular repetition of his "good human being" philosophy. The media keep regurgitating the point as well, which doesn't help.
    He actually got stick for it last season - despite the fact that we got promotion.
    We are massively dependent on good team spirit. Stick to your guns Warney

All the talk is about a new striker,but PW clearly stated,he had a list of seven players he would like to bring in,surely those seven players were not all strikers,we have signed one a midfielder,there was talk of wanting a winger,are we still pursuing that,we do seem slow out of the box,when it comes to transfer targets,then inevitably,we miss out.

Quote Originally Posted by dmentor View Post
    All the talk is about a new striker,but PW clearly stated,he had a list of seven players he would like to bring in,surely those seven players were not all strikers,we have signed one a midfielder,there was talk of wanting a winger,are we still pursuing that,we do seem slow out of the box,when it comes to transfer targets,then inevitably,we miss out.
    But that's the way we do things!

Quote Originally Posted by dmentor View Post
    Good point.
    Surely they're not all out of our range, beyond our budget or at clubs waiting for replacements.
    If they are, then they're certainly not realistic targets so why are we wasting time on them?

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast