+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T The meaningful vote.

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    I've thought long and hard over May's deal since it was announced .

Initially I thought it was a joke it was that bad , don't get me wrong it still is a poor deal but in the cold light of day it was our one and only ticket out of the EU .

I've spoken to many Labour Party members and people within Momentum and asked them what they don't like about it given it's the only deal we will get and the EU won't re-negotiate .

I've yet to hear a satisfactory answer other than its shyte and it's the tories who negotiated it .

Not even Corbyn knows why he doesn't like it other than its an opportunity to bring the government down , that's totally fine if you can get elected yourself and negotiate a better deal , so he's failed on both counts then .

The only thing the Labour Party have done is to pur remaining in the EU back on the table by voting against May's deal along with others too it has to be said .

So by putting remain on the table with the likelihood of a Peoples Vote he also drags the party into democracy denier mode .

You do that and my party and momentum resignation will be submitted asap and you will never have my vote or support again .

You will not tarnish me with democracy denier and overturn a democratic referendum with my money donated to fund it .

Many on the Labour Left need to have a word with themselves .

All self respecting champions of principles and democracy until they receive the wrong result to them that is .

Go start drinking in conservative clubs , you'll fit in nicely .
    Great to see your conversion to democracy, animal. When did it happen? Certainly after the miners’ strike, when you took part in the intimidation of working people who were denied a national ballot out of fear that it might result in the 'wrong result' for you and other like-minded individuals.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    The parnd rose in value on news of the May defeat.

These City finance lads know what's coming--second referendum, public vote to remain, freedom fo them to carry on mekkin billions as befooar and an increasing gap between rich and poor and North and South.
    The pound barely moved on the defeat of the May deal. That's because the city, just like you and I and just about everyone else knew weeks ago that it would be. The vote confirmed what we already knew. The pound fell sharply after the referendum and has stayed broadly in the same place since.

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure Labour would win if an election came relatively quickly Mr C .

At best the biggest party but without a majority .

This is possibly the worst tory government in history and yet he's trailing the tories by 5% .

Corbyn's done well to bring the party back to what it was originally founded to do but that's as far as it goes in my honest opinion .

To have a majority labour government he needs to step aside .

A 1997 Tony Blair to the left of him would trounce these feckers to some tune , 100 seat majority minimum .

Right mandate wrong face delivering it mi owd .
    Like Saul on the road to Damascus, the scales are slowly falling from animal’s eyes in respect of Corbett.

How long before you get to the point where you are able to recognise that the policies are wrong too?

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    Pretty much agree with that Ik all planned from day 1 after result of 2016 referendum
    & I posted this last September which is a variation on your theme

Here's my take on our current position

May is a remainer at heart
    May is making a botch of things with the Tory Grandees pulling the strings
    Thatcher thought she was in control but in the end she wasn't
    May [& the nomark Gove] keep reiterating the mantra that accepting the peoples wishes must honoured
    There are forces at work promoting the idea that the people should decide on the outcome of the negotiations with the "EU" with a vote [referendum] on the outcome
    Options being
    accept the deal [whatever it is]
    accept no deal
    REMAIN
    If by this means the vote is to remain, it will be the will of the people thus absolving our politicians of any responsibility which I believe is the end game
    An awful lot of moving parts.

Why did the 'Tory Grandees' allow Cameron to include a further referendum in the Tory manifesto?
    How did the 'Tory Grandees' know that Parlaiment would back the referendum bill.
    How did the 'Tory Grandees' know that Corbett would have Labour voting againt the May deal.

I love a conspiracy theory, but this one is a bit cr*p.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    The pound barely moved on the defeat of the May deal. That's because the city, just like you and I and just about everyone else knew weeks ago that it would be. The vote confirmed what we already knew. The pound fell sharply after the referendum and has stayed broadly in the same place since.
    The City lads ed already "factored in" the rising pound before the vote and made millions buying at the lower price and selling as it rose.
    Shud be time for the Annual "Bonus" payments as well soon. Happy Days and no Food Banks for those lads.

Quote Originally Posted by KINDERSCOUT View Post
    An earlier contributor claimed that the disparity in wealth in different areas of the UK was caused by the EU. This is not correct of course the UK government decides where to invest in the UK. For example London receives £i200 per head of the population for transport infrastructure from central government while South Yorkshire is granted £250 per head of population. It is also the case London Transport was not forced to privatise the system like every other authority was instructed to do so. Thats why London has an excellent bus service while our system is a disgrace.
    London has a huge and high density population. It needs a large and integrated transport system to function. What's more, the diffiiculty and expense of travelling by car in London means that enough people use public transport to make it viable.

That being said, I think the abandonment in all but name of Osborne’s 'Norther Powerhouse' concept was a retrograde step.

The City lads ed already "factored in" the rising pound before the vote and made millions buying at the lower price and selling as it rose.
    Shud be time for the Annual "Bonus" payments as well soon. Happy Days and no Food Banks for those lads.
    There were winners and losers on the referendum vote. It was a difficult call and anyone who took a position that relied upon a ‘no’ vote would have taken a hit. I took a defensive position, but made a mint buying Royal Dutch Shell shares on the morning after the referendum (overdrawing to do so) and selling them a couple of weeks later when the fuss had died down and the price had recovered. I took the risk and did well out of it. Some didn’t. And before anyone gets 'holier than thou' about it, it’s no different to having a punt at the bookies.

Not everyone has the wealth to buy a block of shares Kerr even if they wanted to play the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    EU grants are supposed to help the regions in need [well perhaps not]

Farmers however don't seem to do too bad do they & we still can't feed ouselves not by a long way

https://fullfact.org/europe/how-much...ve-eu-funding/
    The European Regional Development Fund assists regions in need.

Agriculture has received government support since long before we joined the EU. It's necessary because the price of agricultural produce is so variable, which creates the risk that may farms would go bust during bad trading years. As the CAP favoured countries with large agricultural industries than the UK, Thatcher negotiated for and secured a rebate on our EU contributions.

Unsurprisingly, continuing domestic food production is seen as a strategic necessity. In the UK support used to be provided through 'Intervention Boards', I have little doubt support will continue into a post Brexit future (assuming Parliament doesn't succeed in preventing it).

Not everyone has the wealth to buy a block of shares Kerr even if they wanted to play the game.
    That's true to a point. I overdrew to buy the quantity of shares that I did.

Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast