+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O/T M&S closing

O/T M&S closing

Parkgate marks and Spencer’s is closing

http://www.rothbiz.co.uk/2019/01/new...er-on.html?m=1
    Last edited by CAMiller; 15-01-2019 at 11:21 PM.

Probably the death knell for the town centre.

Although loads of town centres are struggling now, even York has loads of empty shops.

We were pioneers of town centre retail closures, well before internet shopping!

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post

Although loads of town centres are struggling now, even York has loads of empty shops.

When I last looked GF M&S were at Parkgate Retail World. Shows how often you do the shopping

I did think that the town centre one had already closed!

Doh!

That one is quite new as well.

great fire you do know trams no longer operate in the town centre don’t you ? 😁😁

Think that the shop which replaced M&S in the town centre has closed too now . It was part of the Poundland "empire" (or was it Poundworld?) which recently went bust
    Last edited by mikemiller; 16-01-2019 at 09:33 AM.

Another major retailer leaving Rotherham for good. I suppose with the introduction of the supertram to Rotherham, folk can easily travel to Meadowhall to visit M&S and it’s straight over the bridge from the tram stop into Meadowhall.

You’ve got to feel for the staff who work their though. Hopefully with The Rotherham branch closing they will be re employed to Meadowhall.

There are quite a few shops empty in Meadowhall at the moment. It would only take the closure of a store like Debenhams to close to start a domino effect there too. Retail Parks and Malls killed off town centres, now internet shopping is killing off retail parks. Just like Video killed the radio star - it's called progress - allegedly

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post

We were in Leeds for a break this weekend and did a bit of shopping. Got talking to an elderly Lady, in a coffee shop, who had come from York for the day on the bus to do her shopping. She said that York was dying with loads of empty shops. I was quite surprised as I haven't been to York recently but it always seemed quite busy in the past.
    One thing that did used to make me laugh about York was the attraction of tourists to shops that aren't related to York, such as the Cornish Pasty shop and Edinburgh Woollen Mill, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Another major retailer leaving Rotherham for good. I suppose with the introduction of the supertram to Rotherham, folk can easily travel to Meadowhall to visit M&S and it’s straight over the bridge from the tram stop into Meadowhall.

You’ve got to feel for the staff who work their though. Hopefully with The Rotherham branch closing they will be re employed to Meadowhall.
    Problem with that though is going on tram is not free and asking old people where I live to catch a bush to a train or tram to Meadowhall and back isn’t doable for some of them

Also I don’t know if this is true or not but after bus depot in Rotherham is done the place where buses are now is turning into a cinema (can anyone confirm this)

People are blaming online business for the fall of the high street but this is a load of rubbish. You go into shops like game and ask can you buy something you saw on their own website for £40 they will tell you their price is £55 when you ask why is is different they tell you they are a franchise and are different to there online. I’m sorry but internet shopping should be a way to advertise your goods do you can go in shop and buy them for same price like Argos, Waterstones and curry’s do. HMV is shutting down too by looks of it they refused to create a app to download music like apple amazon have and lost out big time
    Last edited by Silly-miller; 16-01-2019 at 12:12 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast