+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Last Time We Had A WOW Signing

Last Time We Had A WOW Signing

Firstly, let me be clear, this is not a loaded question nor a critique of the club's current transfer policy.

I was just pondering when was the last time that we made a real wow signing? The kind of signing that at the time really got you giddy. The kind of signing that made other clubs sit up and take notice. I'm not talking players who went on to be great players for us, or indeed ended up being flops, I mean at the point we actually signed them.

I think id tentatively put Beccio into the frame...

I was quite excited when we signed ALF (I was well aware of his record at rochdale).

Going further back, signing Robins was a statement of intent I believe.

Any others .....

I'd settle for a NOW signing

Tommy Docherty as manager (although ended in failure)
    Moore, Towner and Seasman in same week (?)
    Emlyn Hughes as player manager
    Gerry Gow

Matt Derbyshire was quite a big name when we got him.

Scott Minto also had credentials. Jody Morris too!!

I don't think other teams would have taken much notice though but I don't very often know the players we sign!!!!

Furnell, Quinn (both), Fantham

Mark Robins for me.

First of all couldn't believe he was playing for Walsall. Then couldn't believe he'd been allowed to sign for us, as a rival. I thought at first he must be crocked, but he still had a few good years in him.

I too thought Beccio, also really chuffed at Alfs signing. I was also very happy when we signed Ajayi I think he will get better and better. Hot shot Bobby Williamson was also the ne for me.

You may think i am crazy,but when he first signed,i thought Greg Halford was a great signing.

Quote Originally Posted by dmentor View Post
    You may think i am crazy,but when he first signed,i thought Greg Halford was a great signing.
    I'd say the majority on here thought Alan Stubbs was a great 'signing' but we all know how quickly those wheels came off.

Tony Stewart

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast