+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 new inbounds this week?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bob View Post
    If the money is right they'll play for anyone
    True. We could, and probably should, add in relegation release clauses and big survival bonuses.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    The home form has been key every time we've performed a great escape. Under Nolan we only lost once at home after he joined in 2017 (and that was against champions-elect Portsmouth); under Derry in 2013-2014 we won our final five home games of the season (and this was a team that had been thumped 5-1 at home by Walsall in January); and in the original great escape season of 2001-2002, we again won our last five home games in a row.

What's noticeable in that last fantastic run is that we also started keeping more clean sheets (6 in the last 10 games) and also had some great performances away from home (4-0 at Bury; 1-0 at Peterborough; 2-2 against promotion-bound Brighton, from 2-0 down, thanks to Marcel Cas' great volley).

In 2007-2008, when we finished 21st, we won our last two home games 1-0 (including that Richard Butcher goal against Wycombe), but again got better at keeping clean sheets (again, 6 in the last 10 games).

The luckiest escape was most definitely in 2005-2006, when we won only 1 of our last 16 games (that stat sounds familiar) and scraped a 2-2 draw with Bury on the final day of the season.

What's interesting (to me at least) is how many of the League 2 sides in that 2006 season are either no longer in the league or have been relegated and bounced back - two-thirds (16 out of the 24). Carlisle, Bury, Northampton and Notts are the only ones still in L2, albeit having spent some time in L1.

On the plus side, 7 teams who subsequently went down and returned: Lincoln City, Bristol Rovers, Mansfield, Grimsby Town, Macclesfield Town, Cheltenham Town, Oxford United. If we get relegated, I think we will share a unique "honour" with Oxford and Luton: the only winners of a major trophy to be relegated from the Football League (us the FA Cup, the other two the League Cup).

On the down side, these teams were subsequently relegated and have yet to resurface: Torquay (currently top of National League South); Wrexham (National League); Stockport County (National League North); Darlington FC (National League North); Chester City (National League North); Rushden & Diamonds (dissolved); Boston United (National League North); Leyton Orient (currently top of National League) and Barnet (National League). (Tranmere also get relegated, in 2015, and came back this season.)
    It all comes down to the players we bring in this month. If I remember correctly, we brought in Jeff Whitley in 2002 and he made a big difference. In 2007, Michael Johnson returned and was largely responsible for shoring up our defence. Then in the Derry season, we had McGregor and Grealish to get us over the line.

To be fair, a fit Enzio, Hemmings and Tootle would be as good as three new signings.

I was thinking today, we would surely be one of the only clubs to drop from the top division to non-league. I can only think of Luton who have managed it so far, at least in my lifetime. Yaaay for us.
    Last edited by slack_pie; 17-01-2019 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LesBradd4England View Post
    The National League is a tough league. History tells us teams do not generally bounce straight back. What you have to consider is the ultimate fate of those teams.
    For some their is the acceptance of why they are relegated and the fierce determination to regain league status. fans and communities rally round, attendances can increase and clubs and their true supporters become stronger. Think of Lincoln, Luton, Tranmere and even Mansfield, who eventually returned. The likes of Wrexham, Leyton Orient continue to enjoy stronger support than they did in later league days and winning if not promotion seasons.
    Even further falls into Conference North and South has served to galvanise clubs like Stockport and Torquay with no massive reduction in spectators.
    I'd rather my money be spent on a 20 man squad earning their £800-£1000 per week which is about average for the National League than pay an bloated squad of 38, most of who never kick a competitive ball all week
    Do not be mislead by the term "league football" there is little difference in quality. This is just snobbery.
    Whilst it would be devastating to be relegated, it is how we approach it that would be of most importance.
    The one thing I know about Notts County, is the fan base is sound for around 3,500 irrespective of relegation. A winning team no matter what standard draws casual supporters. I am confident a winning (not necessarily) a promotion winning team would average 4500-5000. Spend the income wisely, employ a manager comfortable in those surroundings (we have one) and we can begin to look upwards not down.
    True, the National League is tough. The quality isn't noticeably different to L2 really. I mean most National League clubs would hammer Notts on current form. As for our fan base, it depends on many things. If Forest make it to the Prem, which is bound to happen eventually, they'll be 5 divisions above us, and entertaining world superstars each week. It will be very difficult to persuade new fans to come and watch Notts in that case. I reckon if we were up the top of the table, with a decent manager that everyone liked (like Ardley) and some decent, honest players, we'd get around 4000 average. But if we end up struggling, or just kicking about in mid-table for a few years, and Forest continue to be a decent Championship side or, god forbid, a Prem side, we'll surely see crowds dwindle.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    I was thinking today, we would surely be one of the only clubs to drop from the top division to non-league. I can only think of Luton who have managed it so far, at least in my lifetime. Yaaay for us.
    I'm pretty sure Carlisle have also done it.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I'm pretty sure Carlisle have also done it.
    Have Oxford been in all 5 divisions as well ?

Weren't Carlisle actually top for a week near the start of the season in 1974? Oxford were definitely a top-flight team for a while in the 1980s. And Northampton should have been another in the 5-divisions club, but were spared relegation from the league in the early 90s because Kidderminster Harriers' ground wasn't good enough.

Maybe the EFL should start being a bit more stringent about grounds this season - you must have a stadium at least as good as the team you are replacing, for example...

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    It all comes down to the players we bring in this month. If I remember correctly, we brought in Jeff Whitley in 2002 and he made a big difference. In 2007, Michael Johnson returned and was largely responsible for shoring up our defence. Then in the Derry season, we had McGregor and Grealish to get us over the line.

To be fair, a fit Enzio, Hemmings and Tootle would be as good as three new signings.

Add Carlisle.

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    Never saw that.
    I saw an assurance we would get an update on Monday, but all we got was an announcement that Milsom had signed.

Quote Originally Posted by irishpete View Post
    It could also have the opposite effect.They could see it as a chance to become a hero? Hard I know,but it's there to grasp,especially if it is on loan
    Any players joining us now are either:

(1) Suicide cases boarding the Titanic

(2) Good players who fancy themselves as saviours / heroes / etc.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast