+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One that got away

One that got away

There's been so many players over the years who we 'almost' signed, and left us regretting not raising our bid by 20 grand or offering the player that extra 50 quid.
    One that sticks in the memory is Liam Lawrence, in the Ronnie era.
    We were publicly interested, the player publicly stated he wanted to join us from Mansfield, we bid something like £400k which would have been our record transfer at the time, and I believe it was more than the asking price.

Then Stoke City swiped him from under our noses and Lawrence gave them the quality to push on and be competitive at this level while we languished and inevitably went down the following season.

Jamie Vardy is the obvious one

Davis seaman. Maybe

[QUOTE=Hazza Has A Gazza;39117530]There's been so many players over the years who we 'almost' signed, and left us regretting not raising our bid by 20 grand or offering the player that extra 50 quid.
    One that sticks in the memory is Liam Lawrence, in the Ronnie era.
    We were publicly interested, the player publicly stated he wanted to join us from Mansfield, we bid something like £400k which would have been our record transfer at the time, and I believe it was more than the asking price.

Then Stoke City swiped him from under our noses and Lawrence gave them the quality to push on and be competitive at this level while we languished and inevitably went down the following season.[/QUOTE

Around that time I was on talking terms with Carl Lucock , who was on the board at Rotherham and he told me that the scout who had been watching Lawrence had told Ken Booth that Lawrence wasn't worth the asking price . ( if I remember rightly Mansfield wanted £20.000 more than we had offered )

Billy Sharp - on our books as a youth player. Ok, he's no international, but more than adequate for what we needed.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemiller View Post
    Billy Sharp - on our books as a youth player. Ok, he's no international, but more than adequate for what we needed.
    I never knew that,just goes to show,what might have been.

I believe that nice Mr. Chiropodist got him from us for next to nowt

Freddy Lunberg when we had our season in the PL .

Fee agreed with his club and set to sign on his return from playing for Sweden .

Unfortunately the Swedes were playing England and Freddy had a blinder .

Arsenal nipped in and signed him instead .

The rest as they say is history .

That would have been some signing, animal!
    I thought you were going to remind us about KM!

Quote Originally Posted by Hazza Has A Gazza View Post
    That would have been some signing, animal!
    I thought you were going to remind us about KM!
    No not at all Hazza , not really missed him have you in all fairness .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast