+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Millers Memoirs - Brentford FC

Millers Memoirs - Brentford FC

Can't think of any games of any note against Brentford worth mentioning.

Oh, hang on!

No, not THAT one, as memorable as THAT day was, it's been well documented and is too obvious, although if anyone would like to talk about THAT match, you're more than welcome.

The one I'm going for is a more recent meeting at the NYS. A League 1 encounter in March 2014. Brentford were chasing automatic promotion and were renowned as the best footballing team in the division. Rotherham were finding some form and establishing themselves as solid play off contenders.

Unfortunately I can't remember the goals but I do remember Rotherham playing some sublime, slick attacking football and dominating the game from start to finish, running out 3-0 victors in the end, and in truth it could have been double that.
    It was significant because it was perhaps the point in the season when everyone really started to believe. To this day I'd say it still stands as one of our best performances at the NYS, certainly high up in the top ten.

Finally, a match v Brentford at Millmoor in the early 90s. It's not the game that springs to mind, but the programme. Apparently we were playing a team called Brentford United! I still have that programme somewhere, wonder if it's worth anything due to the printing mistake on the front of it?!

Didn't get to the 'Alan Lee' match which secured promotion, but have watched the highlights about 7 million times.

Remember an away game in the 90s when Shaun Goater was sub, I think we lost 2-4.

Quote Originally Posted by PerigordMiller View Post

Remember an away game in the 90s when Shaun Goater was sub, I think we lost 2-4.
    That was Jan 6th 1990 - Brentford 4 Millers 2 (scorers: Goater and o.g.)
    Team : Mercer, Barnsley, Robinson, , Grealish, Russell, M. Scott, Pepper, Goodwin, Williamson, S. Evans, Hazel, Subs: Johnson, Goater

Was at the game the next season too (02/02/91) when we undeservedly won 2-1 with a couple of late goals from Cullen (a winger who we had on loan from Sunderland) and Dempsey
    Last edited by mikemiller; 18-01-2019 at 08:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemiller View Post
    That was Jan 6th 1990 - Brentford 4 Millers 2 (scorers: Goater and o.g.)
    Team : Mercer, Barnsley, Robinson, , Grealish, Russell, M. Scott, Pepper, Goodwin, Williamson, S. Evans, Hazel, Subs: Johnson, Goater

Was at the game the next season too (02/02/91) when we undeservedly won 2-1 with a couple of late goals from Cullen (a winger who we had on loan from Sunderland) and Dempsey
    Was Dempsey's goal a freekick from just outside the area by any chance? Can't remember the game but seem to remember him scoring a few like that!!

25 April 1980-81. We clinched promotion a week earlier at Carlisle. We were then going for the title but only managed a draw v Hull, midweek at Millmoor. I had missed the Carlisle game due to my daughter arriving 6 weeks premature (bloody kids!) so I set off for Brentford, with thousands of others, hoping for a giant step towards the title. I remember a lacklustre performance and a 2 - 1 defeat. Most memorable for me though was Ian Porterfield's miserable demeanour - not acknowledging the Millers fans etc. With hindsight I wonder if his defection to the blunts was already pencilled in. A defeat at Oakwell took the title race to the wire but the magnificent Rodney Fern clinched it for us in the final game v Plymouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Shark27 View Post
    Was Dempsey's goal a freekick from just outside the area by any chance? Can't remember the game but seem to remember him scoring a few like that!!
    Think both goals came from Cullen runs down the wing. We suddenly burst into life in the last few minutes after Brentford had gone ahead and had then battered us, but they missed lots of easy chances.

Quote Originally Posted by wrinkly View Post
    25 April 1980-81. We clinched promotion a week earlier at Carlisle. We were then going for the title but only managed a draw v Hull, midweek at Millmoor. I had missed the Carlisle game due to my daughter arriving 6 weeks premature (bloody kids!) so I set off for Brentford, with thousands of others, hoping for a giant step towards the title. I remember a lacklustre performance and a 2 - 1 defeat. Most memorable for me though was Ian Porterfield's miserable demeanour - not acknowledging the Millers fans etc. With hindsight I wonder if his defection to the blunts was already pencilled in.
    Yes - a disappointing game after the euphoria of Carlisle, but we already knew that we had achieved promotion.
    Ronnie Moore scored the Millers goal at Brentford
    Team - Mountford, Forrest, Breckin, Rhodes, Stancliffe, Mullen, Towner, Seasman, Moore, Fern, Gooding
    Last edited by mikemiller; 18-01-2019 at 09:42 AM.