+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our Squad

Our Squad

A lot of supporters, in various places, seem to think we desperately need additions. I was glad to see TM saying he is quite relaxed, and will only bring players in who are clearly ahead of the current-squad members in particular positions.
    As we all know, that is pretty difficult in January - especially at sensible prices. The PL clubs seem to get most of the big business done quite early. For the rest of us it often comes down to the final day, when we pick at the scraps, or - in the case of desperate managers - spend silly money on moderate players.
    Here is a run-down of those who could conceivably get in the match-day squad at the moment. Some are mentioned more than once, because of versatility.
    GK: Raya, Leutwiler, Fisher.
    RB: Nyambe, Travis, Bennett, Reed.
    LB: Bell, Williams, (Jack Doyle).
    CB: Lenihan, Mulgrew, Rodwell, Williams, Downing, Wharton, Grayson, (Platt, Magloire).
    RM/RW: Bennett, Reed, Brereton, Rothwell, Conway.
    LM/LW: Conway, Bennett, Rothwell, Gladwin, Armstrong.
    CM(Defensive): Reed, Travis, Smallwood, Evans, Bennett, Davenport, Rodwell.
    CM(Creative/Attacking): Rothwell, (Lyons).
    No.10s: Dack, Armstrong, Brereton, Samuel, Butterworth.
    No. 9s: Graham, Nuttall.

Earlier in the season, I was in favour of bringing in someone like Chapman, and I still think an out-and-out winger would be useful in the last half-hour. However, most of our attacks are set up by different routes, and TM has found ways round that problem.
    Same thing with my previous call for back-up for Graham. Could Nuttall be the answer after all? I'm still not completely convinced, but I was quite impressed by his last two performances.
    On the face of it, we could desperately do with a Tugay in the attacking midfield role, but - realistically - are we going to pick up someone decent in a January window? And again, Mowbray has fashioned a method of doing without such a player. He has used two holding midfielders (and we are especially strong in that position), employing various combinations of Armstrong, Bennett, Reed, Conway, Nuttall, Brereton, Rothwell (and Samuel) to then support our excellent front-two pairing of Dack and Graham.
    Some fans don't like TM playing people "out of position", but I think it is more a question of him demanding versatility, given that Dack and Graham have nailed their spots.

A squad can always be improved, but are we "desperate" anywhere? I don't think so, although I wouldn't like to see Graham get injured. I never expected a challenge for promotion this year, anyway, and I can't see much realistic prospect of us finding another Dack or Reed in the next couple of weeks.
    Has anyone else noticed that TM does not seem half as interested as most of our recent managers in looking abroad for players?

Perhaps I'm being under-ambitious. What does everyone else think?
    Last edited by AucklandRover; 18-01-2019 at 02:15 AM.

Brilliant insight aucks
    My answer is pretty short
    The left hand side is pretty awful,and maybe not in January,but if we wish to push for the play off places next season we really need to address this side of the pitch.
    We are relying on an aging Conway or a indifferent Armstrong and at left back a poor to average bell or a indifferent Williams.

I will add,Travis and nuttall have given Mowbray a smile I am sure
    Both have made sure he probably has no need to shop in January.
    Shop smart in August when players contacts expire,and who knows.
    We currently have a good team that lacks in depth,no need to panic yet.

Without delving into the weeds of this, my thoughts (and wishes) are very simple :
    Every effort should be made on giving all of our academy talent a chance, which I’m quite happy with, going off TM’s management.
    Of course this has to be be tempered by the delicate balance of the first team squad in not over cooking it with ‘inexperience’.
    It gives a great deal of pleasure for the support to see homegrown talent emerge and kick on from the ranks, which is something I’ve gained great enjoyment of ever since the creation of the academy.
    It’s my thoughts that TM appears quite happy (maybe also his paymasters) to be positionally at top 6 ‘fringes’ at end of season.
    Having said that is he possibly considering that, given a real go, a sneaking in (at this earlier than expected time?) is a vague possibility.
    He is again commenting upon the camaraderie of the squad that is proving a potent weapon in our armoury, that may be surprising even him. This is something that he will know he has to handle very carefully.

You'd almost think we are doing quite well? ....almost ......

Champs , so far so good 😏 .
    Nothing though is ‘achieved’ until the closure of the season .
    We are in a decent position , but there’s still a lot to do , just as there is for every team.
    I put my marker down as 14th and I’ll stick with it. Purely because that is my way ie stand by what you think and don’t sway backward and forward with the proceedings as it’s so easy that way.
    Having said that, do I now think that we could achieve top 10 ish ? Certainly, yes.
    And I therefore commend you in your optimism, belief and foresight in your own prediction, if that ultimately proves the case.
    You more than anyone (doing the miles) would deserve it so.

Quote Originally Posted by Despair View Post
    Champs , so far so good �� .
    Nothing though is ‘achieved’ until the closure of the season .
    We are in a decent position , but there’s still a lot to do , just as there is for every team.
    I put my marker down as 14th and I’ll stick with it. Purely because that is my way ie stand by what you think and don’t sway backward and forward with the proceedings as it’s so easy that way.
    Having said that, do I now think that we could achieve top 10 ish ? Certainly, yes.
    And I therefore commend you in your optimism, belief and foresight in your own prediction, if that ultimately proves the case.
    You more than anyone (doing the miles) would deserve it so.

Admittedly I am ultra optimistic to the point where I realise I am annoying.
    It stems from pride at my own club. I've missed 3 games this season (all away) and the only game I've seen this season where we did not give a good account of ourselves was Sheff Utd at home. We where soundly beaten.
    Millwall last sat was a poor game, but that's what they do to every side they play.
    Every game I watch I am entertained. We stand toe to toe with established Champ sides, and sides who have spent millions upon millions more than us. And we give a good account of ourselves.
    We have come a long way in a short time. And I have a side to be proud of. A manager with integrity who I look up to and admire. In an industry where almost nobody has integrity. And a club mending the past mistakes.
    Its a long process, which takes time. We are repairing so9me real damage, both on and off the pitch. And I feel we are doing really well.
    I am excited going to games. I get nervous. I enjoy football again. And I personally feel a huge association with TM and the rest of the lads, who aren't the greatest players on earth, but are a hard working, passionate bunch, who are willing to learn, and fight. That will do for me.

.....to continue the above Aucks & Despair,
    I also do see what your saying and Auks, like you say, when you watch a game in isolation, you remark on how he performs during those 90mins. And I get that completely, what else can you comment on? so if you say Armstrong had a poor game the other night (which he did, but I felt we let him down badly by not getting him in the game!! He had no supply line) you aren't saying he's suddenly rubbish overall. Or Raya with his mistake. Again, I totally get all that.
    I do tend to look at games in small blocks rather than individual games? Which probs wont make any sense? Raya could be the match winner tomorrow for example. Bell could have an off day tomorrow, but be outstanding in the next 2.
    I'm not even sure Brerton can play in this team right now? Hence he's put on the right. Simply to do a job. I don't believe that's his long term position. Mowbray could very well be looking at another formation in the coming season once we have a foothold in this division. And may be after strengthening certain positions and upgrading players, we could say swap this 2 holding midfielders and have the emphasis on attack more. That's maybe where Ben comes in. In time. Over the next season or 2. Like Travis has. Like the other young players we've introduced. His fee is merely because Mowbray saw real potential in a lad, who was way above all the other 18 year olds. And had already not only played for Forest, but had an impact on games. Much more than say Nutall has for us this season. Time, patience and we have a good player on our books. Who, like Travis can hit the 1st team, and command a place. Right now, he's gaining experience. I hope DG is with him every day in training, showing him how to play in that position. How to back in, hold the ball. When to lay, which runs to make & crucially, when. At 19 DG was not as good as Brereton. So hopefully he can show him what he's learnt.

Auks notice Grayson has gone out on loan to Grimsby. We have recalled quite a few aswell. They weren't getting games. Wharton has barley featured for Lincoln so I think he will be recalled and sent elsewhere. I think a few of the others may go out? Maybe let Butterworth out and let's see what he can do.

The perfect scenario this window would be to get Gallagher in on loan to bolster up front and help Danny out. And really go out and try sign Reed. Give them £7/8m if they want that. He's perfect for us as a player and as a person.
    Real Madrid then come in for Gladwin with a £35m offer. 5 mins before deadline and we just manage to get it all done before they can back out.
    We could keep Dack then ......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)