+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Our Squad

Quote Originally Posted by champs95 View Post
    The perfect scenario this window would be to get Gallagher in on loan to bolster up front and help Danny out. And really go out and try sign Reed. Give them £7/8m if they want that. He's perfect for us as a player and as a person.
    Real Madrid then come in for Gladwin with a £35m offer. 5 mins before deadline and we just manage to get it all done before they can back out.
    We could keep Dack then ......
    A strange side-line, Champs. I sometimes look at Transfermarkt, because that site keeps a very accurate record of player statistics and other things.
    However, I'm often puzzled by their valuations. This is a case in point. According to them, Reed is worth less than a million. I think we might snap Southampton's arm off at that price! On January 31st, desperate managers would pay that sum for MY services!

.....to continue the above Aucks & Despair,
    I also do see what your saying and Auks, like you say, when you watch a game in isolation, you remark on how he performs during those 90mins. And I get that completely, what else can you comment on? so if you say Armstrong had a poor game the other night (which he did, but I felt we let him down badly by not getting him in the game!! He had no supply line) you aren't saying he's suddenly rubbish overall. Or Raya with his mistake. Again, I totally get all that.
    I do tend to look at games in small blocks rather than individual games? Which probs wont make any sense? Raya could be the match winner tomorrow for example. Bell could have an off day tomorrow, but be outstanding in the next 2.
    I'm not even sure Brerton can play in this team right now? Hence he's put on the right. Simply to do a job. I don't believe that's his long term position. Mowbray could very well be looking at another formation in the coming season once we have a foothold in this division. And may be after strengthening certain positions and upgrading players, we could say swap this 2 holding midfielders and have the emphasis on attack more. That's maybe where Ben comes in. In time. Over the next season or 2. Like Travis has. Like the other young players we've introduced. His fee is merely because Mowbray saw real potential in a lad, who was way above all the other 18 year olds. And had already not only played for Forest, but had an impact on games. Much more than say Nutall has for us this season. Time, patience and we have a good player on our books. Who, like Travis can hit the 1st team, and command a place. Right now, he's gaining experience. I hope DG is with him every day in training, showing him how to play in that position. How to back in, hold the ball. When to lay, which runs to make & crucially, when. At 19 DG was not as good as Brereton. So hopefully he can show him what he's learnt.
    Having watched our four "midfielders" the other night (Bennett, Reed, Travis, Smallwood), I must admit I got frustrated with Armstrong. You're right that he didn't get great service, but I think he (and Rothwell) could learn something by watching those four. All of them gave so much effort. Bennett ran about 80 metres in pursuit of the ball in the last few minutes when the cause was already lost.
    Armstrong and Rothwell both have far more skill than Bennett (and the others), but you can't always wait for the perfect pass. I accept that not every player does the same job, but I would be quite happy for Armstrong to put in a few 6.5 performances, instead of swinging between 8 and 5! That's probably not fair, because the nature of the opposition and the way a game develops are both going to have a major impact, but I still think there is some requirement for a player to try and be proactive. Rothwell has loads of skill, and that inevitably catches some fans' eyes, but he has mainly run up blind alleys so far.
    As you say, though, next season might see a different formation, and we might be in a position, in some games, to be able to "carry" a non-worker like Rothwell, as long as he provides a creative spark.
    I think one of Mowbray's greatest strengths (which some fans see as a weakness!) is that he encourages players to be versatile. He didn't inherit - and we haven't been able to afford, so far - a Tugay, and he has shown excellent ability to think outside the box in getting round that.
    I honestly believe that a midfield of Reed, Travis and Smallwood/Evans (either/or), with Bennett roaming - as he does! - can really do well for the rest of the season.
    I almost think we don't need to worry about having a wide player hugging the flanks at all for the time being. Reed and Travis can drive from midfield with the selected one of that "holding" duo (Evans or Smallwood) guarding the defence, so that Bennett (or Armstrong) can be used more creatively. In addition, TM is clearly encouraging the full-backs to overlap more, which gives another option out wide.
    I have not been able to get any of the usual suspects on the Telegraph site to admit it yet, but I thought Smallwood was excellent on Tuesday. Not only did he do his usual job well; he also displayed a good range of passing and seemed to have an intuitive understanding with Travis. He played just as well against Sheffield Wednesday (which has been conveniently forgotten), and he is certainly not the D.1 donkey that some seem to want to portray him as. The times he struggles a little are when there are two pacy central midfielders in the opposition team.
    Last edited by AucklandRover; 18-01-2019 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by robinrover View Post
    I will add,Travis and nuttall have given Mowbray a smile I am sure
    Both have made sure he probably has no need to shop in January.
    Shop smart in August when players contacts expire,and who knows.
    We currently have a good team that lacks in depth,no need to panic yet.
    I feel exactly the same, Robin. I don't know if TM is entirely convinced yet, but their performances must have taken some of the pressure off.

Quote Originally Posted by robinrover View Post
    I will add,Travis and nuttall have given Mowbray a smile I am sure
    Both have made sure he probably has no need to shop in January.
    Shop smart in August when players contacts expire,and who knows.
    We currently have a good team that lacks in depth,no need to panic yet.
    I feel exactly the same, Robin. I don't know if TM is entirely convinced yet, but their performances must have taken some of the pressure off the search.

Auks notice Grayson has gone out on loan to Grimsby. We have recalled quite a few aswell. They weren't getting games. Wharton has barley featured for Lincoln so I think he will be recalled and sent elsewhere. I think a few of the others may go out? Maybe let Butterworth out and let's see what he can do.
    I hadn't seen that about Grayson. I watched Grimsby for a season and a half when I lived there temporarily, many years ago. It's my wife's home town (well, Cleethorpes, actually). It really does live up to the first syllable of its name, but the people are very friendly. It would be nice to think Grayson could help them to a play-off place.
    Damien Johnson must be getting a bit worried about his U-23 team being depleted, but he often says his job is to to move players upwards instead of focusing solely on results.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)