+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Go Ahead Eagles

Go Ahead Eagles

They deserve a thread to themselves. Best fans and the greatest local pride i have witnessed. One of my favourite trips i have had the pleasure of taking on

I just spent a very enjoyable day in Deventer in Holland. Once graced by Jimmy Calderwood in 2012 when he managed Go Ahead Eagles.

On the Eagles and the purpose of my visit, in all my days travelling to watch fitba i have not found a town to have so much time for their local team. Its Go Ahead Eagles or nobody.

When i got off the train i did the usual and had a get my bearings pint. The cafe i chose was excellent. The two girls working (both lovely i might add ) were excellent company and were very appreciative of me travelling from "Shcotland" to watch their team. They were speaking to the locals and telling them about this random daft scottish guy whos over to watch the Eagles and that led to random guys wishing me all the best and "Go Eagles'!". My third beer was on the house too. Doedel Cafe if you are ever in Deventer.The blonde one was beautiful

From there i did the sightseeing bit that accompanies all my trips. This inclusive of walking the bridge over the river Ijssel. The bridge used in "A Bridge Too Far" with Gene Hackman, Sean Connory and Michael Caine. The film was set in Arnhem but the bridge in Deventer was used.

After that i stopped for another beer. Again the staff were very appreciative of me heading over to watch their team. They were telling me if i am in B side i will love it. One of the girls was an avid hater of Ajax and pointed out that the people of Deventer support GAE and nobody else. Definatley seemed that way.

When i checked in to my hotel the reception girl was quizzing me on why i was in Deventer. Again chuffed to find out i was there for GAE. Same goes for the munchery i had my tea in where the chef came out to speak to me.

Once i got to De Adelaarhorsht i picked up my free ticket. Free as i explained on another thread as the guy i spoke to on the phone was amazed i was coming in from Aberdeen to see their "great little club". The lassie at the ticket office was asking about where i was from. When i said Scotland she was surprised and told me i was in B side and would "love it"

In the supporters bar i was wearing a Dons tourie so people kept questioning me. (i was safe as i was wearing a GAE scarf. F@cking baltic). So i got chatting and the usual. Why are you here etc was asked. Then after that it was football chat. Speaking to dudes there and the whole local pride thing seems to be very true. With one guy telling me "look on the shtreets and shport shops, theresh no f@cking Ajax, no f@cking Feyenoord, no f@cking PSHV and no f@cking Real Madrid. We like ush and nobody elsh". It was true i didnt see a single bit of garb from any team bar GAE all day. I was also told "Zwolle are c@nts". I neglected to mention im heading there in April.
    Every person i spoke to all day was decent and all loved GAE. Great to see. Especially with the country having three big teams

Name:  DSC_2866.jpg
Views: 961
Size:  85.5 KB

Go Ahead Eagles 2-1 Almere City

The game was decent. There was a fight in the first twenty seconds. Good start. Was quite a niggly afair for the whole 90. Almere took the lead through a terrible decision. Penalty for the equivalent of Cosgrove at Ibrox. The Almere boy booted the the GAE defender. The Eagles equalised just before the half. Second half there was only one winner and the home team took the three points deservedly and moved into third in the league. Top four is tight. A ****ing freezing cold night is my only complaint

I was in with the "ultras" in the B side. What an atmosphere they generate. Cracking fans. Flash bangs, confetti cannon(held up KO as the groundstaff to clear uo) . Bizarrely most of their songs are sung in English. They really back their team.

The supporters bar was a happy place after the game where the Dons tourie raised questions again and people were informed that not only Zwolle are c@nts sevco are too

Top city, top club, top people with immense local pride. One of my favourite trips i have done. Ill definatley look out for their results

Get yourself to De Adelaarhorsht. You may end up with a diddy team. I think i have
    Last edited by Pacman1903; 19-01-2019 at 07:10 AM.

We don't want to see pictures of you, you bam, it's the blonde we want to see.

I love the Dutch not sure about the Eagles though, that Calderwood connection would put me off.

Quality Pac. Though honestly it seems like every bar has that standard of barmaid in holland.

Deventer's also, for some reason, randomly got an annual Charles Dickens festival, which makes it also the dutch destination of choice for a certain poster on here. Amsterdam watch out!

Quote Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
    Quality Pac. Though honestly it seems like every bar has that standard of barmaid in holland.

Deventer's also, for some reason, randomly got an annual Charles Dickens festival, which makes it also the dutch destination of choice for a certain poster on here. Amsterdam watch out!
    It ok im back now safe. Away to rake oot my mittens for Pittodrie

The quality in women was exceptionally high.

Everything about Deventer was great.

Dutch barmaids

The things that stay in your memory.

She's probably a grunnie now mind, but there was this barmaid in Amsterdam (1979) with a tight yellow t-shirt and no bra.

Every time you smiled at her her nipples hardened to a very noticeable degree.

Young and stupid I didn't chance my luck, just smiled a lot and got pished.

40 years later I still remember that yellow t-shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    Dutch barmaids

The things that stay in your memory.

She's probably a grunnie now mind, but there was this barmaid in Amsterdam (1979) with a tight yellow t-shirt and no bra.

Every time you smiled at her her nipples hardened to a very noticeable degree.

Young and stupid I didn't chance my luck, just smiled a lot and got pished.

40 years later I still remember that yellow t-shirt.
    Was that the Banana Bar?

Not anywhere near the red light area.

Just a wee pub with good music and a gorgeous barmaid wearing a yellow t-shirt.

What an excellent post, cheers Pacman

That was a great read.

aye, good read man.

sounds ideal for a fitba jolly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast