+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Could we keep him (BPF) if he wanted out?

Could we keep him (BPF) if he wanted out?

Article captures at least some of what must be going through the lads mind;

https://thisisfutbol.com/2019/01/blo...ielsa-verdict/

He is in the 6th tier in 2017/18, comes in his own in the first team when we get rid of "Flapper", starts every match in the 2018/19 season at the back of a defence which is the 4th "meanest" in the league, in a team that is top of the Championship with less than 4 months of the regular season to go, and is replaced by a newcomer who (despite his experience at the higher levels of Spanish football), hasn't played for his previous club all season.

Take away all the guff about "learning his trade", and "keeping the first choice player honest" etc etc.......If anyone posting here was faced with the same situation, and someone came along and said "Bit harsh on you lad, how about you come to us as 1st choice keeper", you'd be brave enough to turn it down, and trust that your current club would get promotion AND that you would figure in their future?

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    Article captures at least some of what must be going through the lads mind;

https://thisisfutbol.com/2019/01/blo...ielsa-verdict/

He is in the 6th tier in 2017/18, comes in his own in the first team when we get rid of "Flapper", starts every match in the 2018/19 season at the back of a defence which is the 4th "meanest" in the league, in a team that is top of the Championship with less than 4 months of the regular season to go, and is replaced by a newcomer who (despite his experience at the higher levels of Spanish football), hasn't played for his previous club all season.
    Hardly fits the bill as a newcomer. You could look at it another way, noting the meanest defence also concedes the least shots on goal. Casilla is a good distributor with his feet and suited to a high pressing team. Will have to see if he can quickly adapt to over staying with his beloved Real and cope with the less protection a keeper gets in England. And as an organiser how well he talks to the back 4 and commands the box. Any improvement with helping on the communication throughout the team has to be a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by whitestomper45 View Post
    Hardly fits the bill as a newcomer. You could look at it another way, noting the meanest defence also concedes the least shots on goal. Casilla is a good distributor with his feet and suited to a high pressing team. Will have to see if he can quickly adapt to over staying with his beloved Real and cope with the less protection a keeper gets in England. And as an organiser how well he talks to the back 4 and commands the box. Any improvement with helping on the communication throughout the team has to be a bonus.
    Not exactly answering my question.

Whether I agree or disagree with the comments regarding Casilla, it's the perception and the emotions that this is likely to generate in a young guy who has come through the Academy, been loaned out, then given the opportunity to show his worth (which I would respectfully suggest he has done admirably for such a young keeper), only to be replaced (without any clear evidence that its necessary to do so, any more than evidence is available for any other position that such action is necessary), at a time when the team is a realistic challenger for promotion (and the comments from the club will hardly have helped ("better in training than in the game" etc). This latter issue I'm a tad surprised at, since similar statements haven't been made about outfield player who have, let's put it kindly, performed less than optimally.

Good question.

However, 2 ways to look at it. he'll likely never get better training by any keep coach that he will with real world competition and mentoring from Kiko. If he beats him out as he's done several other keepers then you know he's the real deal. In the end he could still be a keep at a prem team in 2-3 years.

Going to another club comes with no guarantees and he could end up astray or a lower level keep for years. Not uncommon.

Depends on if he's a half full/ half empty type of guy.

I think well keep him unless someone comes in offering stupid money

Going to preface this with I hope BPF stays here for years and develops into a good goalkeeper.

That said I think currently he is average at best, he makes some good saves but he doesnt save a lot of shots that he really should be doing better with. I think he has been blessed with the lack of ability of his predecessor in Wiedwald who was so useless that anyone would have been an improvement. There is a reason York didn't want to keep hold of him on loan and we are seeing it, theres a reason Blackman was about to replace him as well.

If he realistically wanted to leave he isn't going to get interest from anyone near or above us so his only options would be likes of say Blackburn etc and even then those teams have good experienced keepers who I don't see him going there and immediately replacing.

Hes a young kid with flaw in his game and an attitude problem that could hold him back, he has potential to be good but he needs work. I hope he sorts it out and eventually becomes our new Nigel Martyn.

Quote Originally Posted by joellufcprice View Post
    Going to preface this with I hope BPF stays here for years and develops into a good goalkeeper.

That said I think currently he is average at best, he makes some good saves but he doesnt save a lot of shots that he really should be doing better with. I think he has been blessed with the lack of ability of his predecessor in Wiedwald who was so useless that anyone would have been an improvement. There is a reason York didn't want to keep hold of him on loan and we are seeing it, theres a reason Blackman was about to replace him as well.

If he realistically wanted to leave he isn't going to get interest from anyone near or above us so his only options would be likes of say Blackburn etc and even then those teams have good experienced keepers who I don't see him going there and immediately replacing.

Hes a young kid with flaw in his game and an attitude problem that could hold him back, he has potential to be good but he needs work. I hope he sorts it out and eventually becomes our new Nigel Martyn.
    I suspect he’ll be watching the new old boy with as much interest as us. Hopefully he doesn’t male a cock up on his debut as we need three points and nothing less from Rham

Quote Originally Posted by joellufcprice View Post

I think we all would agree that he isn't flawless, but "attitude problem"? Given his youth, and the nature of his being thrown in at the deep end when Flapper was disposed of, I suspect he has had some growing up to do, so occasionally his immaturity will show, but "attitude"? If anything, I'd say he's shown more maturity than many of our outfield (and those who are probably taking home a bigger wadge to boot, such as my favourite player, Mr Harrison).

In goalkeeping years, he is only a baby. If he sits tight, has patience and learns, he'll do all right.

He's still very young and because of our circumstances has probably been playing more first team matches that he could reasonably have expected for his age. Look he's got every prospect of being with us in the Prem next season and he"s got one of the top five Spanish keepers to learn from. If he keeps his head down in a couple of seasons time he could be first choice by right for us and be in the Prem. Surely that must be better than jumping ship now to play lower league first team or to sit on the bench of a higher league club with perhaps less prospect of ever breaking through to the first team.

not really good enough at the momment, can say its his age, what he eats for breakfast or whatever, does he need the snowflake treatment, do we care if his nose is out of joint? no.its called competition. No club operates with just 1 keeper, and to suggest we should, and a baby one at that, just to massage his ego, well that would be daft, wouldnt it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)