+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any point signing new players?

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    Wow , you were quick Disturbed. No problem being picked as long as I can still have my half time cheesy chips.
    You sure can. Take your time and have a Bovril as well. Bring them out for the start of the second half and have them whilst playing and even then you would still be faster than our current midfield

The constant focus on signing new players is symptomatic of the short-term, quick-fix mentality which has been in place at Notts for almost as long as I can remember.

Every time we get a new manager, the strategy seems to be to tread water until the next transfer window, at which point (we are told) the new manager will use his unparalleled array of industry contacts to bring in four, five or six brilliant new players, and we will start winning.

This never happens. What actually happens is that the new players are generally no better than the ones already on the books, and we simply end up with an even bigger squad of mediocre players, because understandably we struggle to offload the previous regime's brilliant new signings (who we now recognise as indistinguishable from the underperforming dross brought in by the regime prior to that).

Repeat this every six months for twenty years and see where you end up. It's often said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result...

Whatever happened to the idea that a manager's job is to motivate, organise and perhaps even improve an existing set of players?

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    I would like to think we have talent and fight, I don't think we have either mate.
    Well our supporters certainly have navypie, they were fighting amongst themselves towards the end of the yeovil game. It's just a pity that those gutless tosspots on the pitch hadn't the same desire...

Quote Originally Posted by IlkestonMagpie View Post
    I do wonder if you attend matches as if you do you will know we (except the home game against Bury) have looked second best to nearly every team we play.
    According to all reports, Notts were by far the better team v Yeovil

Loan signings seem to make the most sense, given that any decent player will probably have better options. The problem is we are still so weak in so many positions - ball winner in midfield; strong and pacy target man; two mobile full backs; a commanding centre half - that it’s impossible to fill them all.

We are also meant to be shipping players out this month, but can’t see any queues forming for anyone. Indeed, who are we trying to get rid of? A month ago I’d have said Duffy, yet he’s somehow back in the team as a regular again. Who else? Ward? Oxlade-Chamberlain? Hewitt?

Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPie View Post
    According to all reports, Notts were by far the better team v Yeovil
    Can’t believe everything you read. Between the two penalty boxes we were the better team for 70 minutes, but only created two decent chances and gave a dreadful goal away. We were never in it for the last 20 minutes, after we reshuffled the pack and lost our shape and way.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    Can’t believe everything you read. Between the two penalty boxes we were the better team for 70 minutes, but only created two decent chances and gave a dreadful goal away. We were never in it for the last 20 minutes, after we reshuffled the pack and lost our shape and way.
    At this stage of the season it's no good looking at how well (or not) we played, possession etc.

Just one thing matters: Goals conceded - 2, goals scored - 0, points - 0

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    At this stage of the season it's no good looking at how well (or not) we played, possession etc.

100% correct

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post

Spot on - 100% correct. Playing well, dominating possession & being unlucky count for nothing. We need goals & points - desperately,

Quote Originally Posted by Pies4u View Post
    Spot on - 100% correct. Playing well, dominating possession & being unlucky count for nothing. We need goals & points - desperately,
    But we didn't play well, and anyone who says otherwise needs glasses... As for possession, we couldn't get out of our own half for the last 15 minutes..

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast