+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ross County report

Ross County report

Congratulations to Ross County for their deserved victory at Fir Park. They were the better team from start to finish. A late consolation from Jake Hastie was not enough to counter Brian Graham's second have double as the visitors ran out 2-1 winners. - External Link

Not hard to beat a team totally clueless in their approach to the game and tactics. Just hope 21 points keeps us up as on today’s display I don’t see where our next point is coming from

I left as soon as County scored their first goal and I make no apology for it. It was coming since early on in the game and it was so infuriatingly predictable from us I just couldn't be @rsed sitting watch us amble about aimlessly and cluelessly in our pitiful attempts to get back in the game, I've seen that movie too many times this season and I know how it ends.

The bottom line is we are just an awful, awful side. We are absolutely turgid to watch and we offer nothing in terms of entertainment or good football. We and Robinson got away with things big time last season because of two cup runs all the way to both finals, but as good as they felt at the time, they clearly did little more than paper over massive cracks. Just think of the luck we carried in last season's Scottish Cup. Accies score a ridiculous own goal and gift us a penalty; Dundee score an own goal; Hearts chucked us a goal; Aberdeen played as bad as they possibly could have played and gift us all three goals and the first one we were lucky to get away with a handball in the build up. And of course we were never at the races in both finals so getting to both wasn't that great an achievement when you look back.

We need a change and fast as we are going nowhere with this squad and manager except downwards and we could yet whimper into the bottom two this season and face serious disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by LawSteelman View Post
    And of course we were never at the races in both finals so getting to both wasn't that great an achievement when you look back.
    That's just ridiculous.

Robinson clearly has certain skills as a manager which served us very well both in keeping us up and then last season which was - in the league as well despite the problems - much better than anyone expected when we started.

However, his failings are just as clear and while the first part puts some credit in the bank it's far from limitless. Indeed, I'm not even especially angry at this season being a write-off as all clubs go through that periodically - you have to ask though, is it a write off season because we're transitioning to something better or do you generally trust the manager's philosophy so that it's just part of a natural cycle? And tbh I'd be amazed right now if anyone can answer anything other than a resounding 'no' there.

As Jim McLean used to say, you should never make decisions in football on a Saturday night. The club can argue the decision was made to keep him for the transfer window and he then needs time from that point - not matter how bad one result. This would be fine except it keeps happening - he's already on about this third or fourth 'crucial job saving/costing' run of games and if you keep on ending up in that situation well essentially the decision has already been made...

As for this season, I still seriously doubt we'll actually go down (though there could be some hairy moments) but a club needs to have some hint of ambition about it. I expressed doubt Luton would actually want him but if they do it would be a serious win for all parties.

Robinson is still a relatively young and inexperienced manager who is still learning so yes, he'll make mistakes. However, thats starting to wear a bit thin now. Is he learning from his mistakes? Its not clear to me that he is. You would expect to see some progression but its more a case of one step forward and two back. Overnight I've tried to fathom out his reasoning for the team line up and tactics but just can't see where he was coming from. The players too seemed confused and bemused by his tactics.

Well he certainly tried something different yesterday. Though what possessed himl after months of caution verging on paranoia, to suddenly think McHugh and Turnbull would work alone in the middle is beyond me.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)