+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How easy is it to get back?

Quote Originally Posted by Apotheosis View Post
    As a suffering Chesterfield supporter, I’ll be honest with you and say the National league isn’t an easy league to get out of. You need to put every effort into staying up as the reality of Non league will soon hit hard if you do fall through the trap door. Alot of the teams in this league are well funded and all of them are difficult to beat. You will come up against some part time teams, but there is nothing amateur about their physicality, work ethic and organisation.

After overcoming the pain of relegation, you will start to feel optimistic about seeing new teams and visiting new grounds. Arrogantly, you'll think you are a big fish in a little pond, but it will soon become apparent that you are just the same as the rest (tin pot). I thought it couldn’t get much worse than getting relegated but losing easily at home to the likes of Maidstone and Gateshead and getting truly thrashed by Solihull Moors (4-0) is about as bad as it gets.

Oh and the standard of refereeing is truly abysmal.
    Interesting post. I guess it stands to reason that the refereeing standard is even worse one level down, but that is a very scary thought. Physicality, work ethic and organisation are three traits we conspicuously lack, so we could “do a Chesterfield” ourselves next season - although I’m pretty sure that won’t extend to rehiring John Sheridan.

Quote Originally Posted by karl wheatly View Post
    Many Notts fans aren't aware that if we get relegated to National North we face losing Meadow Lane. The council have an option to redevelop the site and relocate us to a new, small community stadium at Holme Pierrepoint !
    That is my biggest fear, in fact it makes me sick to my stomach just thinking about it.

I wish the players had the same passion us fans do

Quote Originally Posted by karl wheatly View Post
    Many Notts fans aren't aware that if we get relegated to National North we face losing Meadow Lane. The council have an option to redevelop the site and relocate us to a new, small community stadium at Holme Pierrepoint !
    Have you seen that written anywhere? I remember some stories to this effect but can’t find anything online to corroborate it.

This might be sacrilege, but the real Meadow Lane died for me when the ground was redeveloped in the early 90s anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    Have you seen that written anywhere? I remember some stories to this effect but can’t find anything online to corroborate it.

This might be sacrilege, but the real Meadow Lane died for me when the ground was redeveloped in the early 90s anyway.
    Can't find anything in writing, but as I understand it the lease on the ground is held by the family of Haydn Green, and includes a clause that we have the right to play there as long as we do not drop below Tier 5 (The National League).

Quote Originally Posted by Apotheosis View Post
    As a suffering Chesterfield supporter, I’ll be honest with you and say the National league isn’t an easy league to get out of. You need to put every effort into staying up as the reality of Non league will soon hit hard if you do fall through the trap door. Alot of the teams in this league are well funded and all of them are difficult to beat. You will come up against some part time teams, but there is nothing amateur about their physicality, work ethic and organisation.

After overcoming the pain of relegation, you will start to feel optimistic about seeing new teams and visiting new grounds. Arrogantly, you'll think you are a big fish in a little pond, but it will soon become apparent that you are just the same as the rest (tin pot). I thought it couldn’t get much worse than getting relegated but losing easily at home to the likes of Maidstone and Gateshead and getting truly thrashed by Solihull Moors (4-0) is about as bad as it gets.

Oh and the standard of refereeing is truly abysmal.
    Chesterfield should be in the Championship don't you know? Instead they are 4th from bottom of the conference, staring regional football in the face.

There is a lot to be learnt from the fall of chesterfield. Their owner has pumped in millions and continues to do so by appointing and sacking managers, back room staff and plaayers on a bi-annual basis.

Not sure all spireites have grasped how low they have sunk yet. The fans have just silently watched it happen and done nothing to stop the trend. They need stabilization before they can think about getting back up, like Orient did/are doing. Not likely to be next season either I shouldn't think.

The only reason Cambridge got out of the conference was because of Richard Money. He signed free transfers of sufficient standard. One of them, Tom Champion was an absolute diamond, he couldnt pass the ball ten yards, but was incredibly mobile, fast, and could tackle, read the game etc. He was a defensive midfielder. Thats what the conference is like, you will have too FIGHT.

Having football league standard players is a start, but if they dont roll up their sleeeves, they will be useless. Quality will win you the league, even one quality player makes a big difference. You wont sign quality if your in the conference, unless you pay over the odds. Getting kicked at Dorchester or wherever is not attractive. Hanging on to your quality players may work. Maybe not.

As someone has said, the refereeing is awful, the football dire. Muscle plus ability will get you out. Shirkers need not apply.

I would agree with what he says about Physicality, work ethic and organisation. It's crude, but it's about points at the end of the day. Our promotion from that league was based on the physicality of our spine, spearheaded by Matt Green. The ball spent a lot of time in the air in 12/13.

Quote Originally Posted by StagManStan View Post
    Chesterfield should be in the Championship don't you know? Instead they are 4th from bottom of the conference, staring regional football in the face.

There is a lot to be learnt from the fall of chesterfield. Their owner has pumped in millions and continues to do so by appointing and sacking managers, back room staff and plaayers on a bi-annual basis.

Not sure all spireites have grasped how low they have sunk yet. The fans have just silently watched it happen and done nothing to stop the trend. They need stabilization before they can think about getting back up, like Orient did/are doing. Not likely to be next season either I shouldn't think.
    There isn’t a lot supporters can do to prevent your team getting relegated as you will know!!

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Scarborough? The very club from which Notts bought its 2nd most successful manager. Hopefully National League North next year then playing Notts the year after if Notts remain Conferenced.
    I didn’t mention Scarborough in the original post because they were relegated in 1999, before my starting point of 2002/3 season. So it’s now 20 seasons since they were in the League.

It’s good to hear that they are making progress again, although I believe that, as with Rushden and Darlington, it’s not strictly speaking the same club.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    Interesting post. I guess it stands to reason that the refereeing standard is even worse one level down, but that is a very scary thought. Physicality, work ethic and organisation are three traits we conspicuously lack, so we could “do a Chesterfield” ourselves next season - although I’m pretty sure that won’t extend to rehiring John Sheridan.
    It takes time to adapt to this league. Orient suffered last season and have managed to kick on. We’ve struggled badly although we are starting to get to grips with what is required.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast