+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scottish Cup draws (last 15 years)

Scottish Cup draws (last 15 years)

In all draws prior to the semi final stage we have been drawn at home 11 times and away from home 27 times

Of the 11 home draws all have been against top flight opposition (while we were in the top flight) apart from two (Ross County 2011 who were a string 2nd tier side and Sevco 2013)

Never got any easy home draws in that time, clubs like hibs, hearts and even the fun get them regular over the years, the latter it didn't really help though but still.... And you only have to look at how many home draws Sevco have had since they were formed in 2012.... Suppose it makes our record in that time of 3 finals and 5 semi finals look better right enough

Interesting stats. But just coincidence.

I think in the cup, you've just got to accept that sometimes you get drawn away from home.

We always muster a decent following 'away' in the cup. And the away support appear to give the team much more vocal backing than they get at home. So, it's not all bad.

I know but if there is luck of the draw we don't get it much in this competition

Think more than decent for us in the big cup away from home though, some legendary away followings in terms of atmosphere and numbers

The weekends aren't working out for me, couldn't make Saturday and this one is a potential miss, we'll see, but yea should be a very vocal away support that day, imagine it won't be on TV so will be a sat 3pm

A nice away day to Paisley.
    We can do this. C'mon United!

Agree shedka.

I tell you though, I'm a wee bit wary of StM. I've been there (Love St, not their new ground) and seen us on the wrong end of a surprise result a few times.

This time they are the ones that are under pressure to live up to the 'favourites' tag in front of their own support. But I have a feeling our newly bolstered squad will revel in the 'underdogs' tag and be well up for causing an upset.

I am so looking forward to this. Although we're underdogs being the championship side, I fancy us to either win or take the tie back to a reply at Tannadice.

Bottom line is that frankly I really couldn't give a schit whether we get through or not. It may not sound very loyal but it's true. We have bigger and more important fish to fry and it is all about promotion. If we win, great, if we don't, well, so what. I genuinely have a fear of getting through and getting one of the horrible two away in Glasgow and being exposed to a level we're simply not able for currently, and taking a fearsome hiding which would do our confidence no good. Four years of watching complete pish does that to you.

We have had a bit of luck in the Scottish Cup,in 2010 it was Ayr in the semi's and the miracle of Ross County in the final,they managed to defeat Celtic which in my opinion we would not have managed.We were also fortunate to get Glasgow Rangers RIP and knock them out 5 times on the spin,however had we got Celtic we would more than likely lost every game instead.
    I cant fathom out why even when Glasgow Rangers RIP were Scotland's top team we always gave them a game i.e. the 1994 final when we became the first team to take silverware off them in 3 years but we could never replicate this versus pure shyte Celtic teams in the 80's.
    Lets be honest here we should have won the Scottish Cup 4 times in the 80's and its amazing that we are tied 5-5 with the FUN in major honours when we had a ten year period of being in the top echelon of Scottish football.

Nah made our own luck in 2010, navigated a tricky away tie at thistle, then an all SPL tie at St Johnstone, then away to the champions Rangers who hadn't lost a cup tie under Walter second time round and were going for the treble, we come back from 3-1 down at ibrox (the only game in the run we conceded in) after they were given two very soft pens, then put them out with a very late winner in the replay at a rocking Tannadice, we then beat raith on the Sunday at Hampden (who had put out the fun and Aberdeen) despite knowing before hand the pressure of favourites being transferred to us the day before with County beating Celtic (we would never have lived it down had we not gone on to kiss silver) and despite all that pressure we did the business in the final in front of 28500 United fans... That was while cruising to 3rd at the exact same time, being only 5pts from 2nd with 4 games remaining

Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    We have had a bit of luck in the Scottish Cup,in 2010 it was Ayr in the semi's and the miracle of Ross County in the final,they managed to defeat Celtic which in my opinion we would not have managed.We were also fortunate to get Glasgow Rangers RIP and knock them out 5 times on the spin,however had we got Celtic we would more than likely lost every game instead.
    I cant fathom out why even when Glasgow Rangers RIP were Scotland's top team we always gave them a game i.e. the 1994 final when we became the first team to take silverware off them in 3 years but we could never replicate this versus pure shyte Celtic teams in the 80's.
    Lets be honest here we should have won the Scottish Cup 4 times in the 80's and its amazing that we are tied 5-5 with the FUN in major honours when we had a ten year period of being in the top echelon of Scottish football.

Over the years the Shed have thrown away more cup finals than they actually lost to better teams on the day. Our trophy haul should be at least twice what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    Nah made our own luck in 2010, navigated a tricky away tie at thistle, then an all SPL tie at St Johnstone, then away to the champions Rangers who hadn't lost a cup tie under Walter second time round and were going for the treble, we come back from 3-1 down at ibrox (the only game in the run we conceded in) after they were given two very soft pens, then put them out with a very late winner in the replay at a rocking Tannadice, we then beat raith on the Sunday at Hampden (who had put out the fun and Aberdeen) despite knowing before hand the pressure of favourites being transferred to us the day before with County beating Celtic (we would never have lived it down had we not gone on to kiss silver) and despite all that pressure we did the business in the final in front of 28500 United fans... That was while cruising to 3rd at the exact same time, being only 5pts from 2nd with 4 games remaining
    We were still lucky to avoid Celtic in 2010 cause we would have lost,FACT.I witnessed United teams in the 80's blowing loads of finals with better teams than the 2010 one,we would never have won the cup in 2010 if we had to play Celtic in either the semi or the final,sorry for being truthful on the board tonight i will revert to type tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)