+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Archibald Henville

Quote Originally Posted by Disturbed View Post
    I would have Osbourne as wing back instead of Hewitt, put Kellet alongside O'Brien and play Patching or Crawford in place of Vaughan. Now I believe that this midfield would be stronger than what we currently put out
    Based on what? Other than "it couldn't be any worse"... As it obviously could be worse than losing 2-0, we know this as we've lost by plenty more than that on a few occasions already this season.

Osbourne has scored a couple of goals playing on the wing for the U23's against fellow U23's, what makes you think he wouldn't be absolutely torn to shreds playing as a wing back? In the position that Hewitt played perfectly well enough against Cambridge and lost his man for a header at a set piece at Yeovil.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon the Pieman View Post
    Yeah I'll take that. I see Ardley states in the Post the players can't retain instructions. Heaven help us. It's online at the moment.
    He seems hell bent on still picking them instead of some good lads in u23's getting a chance

Quote Originally Posted by DelroyFacey22 View Post
    Based on what? Other than "it couldn't be any worse"... As it obviously could be worse than losing 2-0, we know this as we've lost by plenty more than that on a few occasions already this season.

Osbourne has scored a couple of goals playing on the wing for the U23's against fellow U23's, what makes you think he wouldn't be absolutely torn to shreds playing as a wing back? In the position that Hewitt played perfectly well enough against Cambridge and lost his man for a header at a set piece at Yeovil.
    Exactly. How can things get worse? I look at it in very simple terms. If it doesn't work, attempt to fix it as leaving it as is, it is still broken. So unless you try, you fail. And that is what Notts are doing in fantastic fashion.

Osbourne might have scored a few for the under 23's, but surely scoring, no matter at what level, gives you confidence, and that is what we need now, players with confidence, players with some fight, players with some get up and go.

So Hewitt played well against Cambridge. You really are having a laugh with that statement. Well, that means he should start every game now then until the end of the season. He was crap against Yeovil (like most of the season) and should be dropped. He lost his man like every game. And if you look at the second goal for Yeovil, it was Hewitts man that scored it. Yes, I blame Barclay for the header, but Hewitt really tried to get a tackle in on his man didn't he? It looked like he was running through treacle or just doesn't give a toss. Just look at the replay
    Last edited by Disturbed; 21-01-2019 at 05:43 PM.

Osbourne might have scored a few for the under 23's, but surely scoring, no matter at what level, gives you confidence, and that is what we need now, players with confidence, players with some fight, players with some get up and go.
    Nathan Thomas scores for fun in the U23's, does that give him enough confidence to be played out of position as a wing back in the first team or does it only count if you're under a certain age? Hollis scored the odd goal when he was here, shall we bring him back and give him a shot at playing as a wing back, he did play full back at least once too so he's arguably more qualified than Osbourne tbf.

So Hewitt played well against Cambridge. You really are having a laugh with that statement. Well, that means he should start every game now then until the end of the season.
    My point was that he did an adequate job playing there, they never really threatened us down his side which I'd say is the minimum requirement you'd hope for in a poor team. As for the second Yeovil goal, there's literally nothing Hewitt can do once Barclay has made that header, the only player with any chance is Duffy but it's still slim, that's why his immediate reaction once it's a goal is to go mad at Barclay. Watching the corner back, the setup in general is awful, I have no idea what Rob Milsom is meant to be doing, it looks like he's playing zonally and covering the near post area but he's too deep into the box to actually serve any purpose where he is, if the ball is going there the keeper should making an easy catch. It's a badly defended corner, Hewitt doesn't lose his man he just can't get to the ball ahead of him, there's a difference. That goal is also stopped by having a player on the back post, like I said, it's just an awful set up and no wonder we concede from them so often.

I don't think he should play there "till the end of the season", I would hope Tootle can stay fit for longer than 45 minutes and take his place back in the team or we'll sign someone, as a temporary stop gap Hewitt is probably the only choice Ardley has unless he tries Oxlade-Chamberlain again or plays one of the left backs there again, it's not like he's been persisting with Hewitt there for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by DelroyFacey22 View Post
    Nathan Thomas scores for fun in the U23's, does that give him enough confidence to be played out of position as a wing back in the first team or does it only count if you're under a certain age? Hollis scored the odd goal when he was here, shall we bring him back and give him a shot at playing as a wing back, he did play full back at least once too so he's arguably more qualified than Osbourne tbf.

It's a badly defended corner, Hewitt doesn't lose his man he just can't get to the ball ahead of him, there's a difference.

Yes, please bring Hollis back as he wasn't any worse than this current bunch.

Thomas is a waste of a shirt but he is in the safe knowledge that he can go back to Sheffield and wont care about Notts going down. however, Osbourne would be up for the fight, to prove that he is worth a start each week and that is what we need now, fight and passion. That is what will save Notts and not just experience alone.

Very true, but when Hewitt does this week in week out, then you must question his selection as the opposition know this and target it. Before you know it, a goal against, again. This will keep happening until you stop the cause, and sorry to say, Hewitt is the cause and not the remedy.
    Last edited by Disturbed; 21-01-2019 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon the Pieman View Post
    Any good? Any use to Notts?
    To return to the original question, this guy has played 40 league games in the past five seasons and only 4 games in the last two seasons at Exeter before being released last summer. He’s now 30.

Given all of those alarm bells, it’s clearly only a matter of time before we sign him.

Yes, please bring Hollis back as he wasn't any worse than this current bunch.

This will keep happening until you stop the cause, and sorry to say, Hewitt is the cause and not the remedy.
    The cause isn't one player though, the cause is not playing to your strengths, missing key players through injury, setting the team up poorly, setting the team up to defend set peices poorly, having a goalkeeper not worthy of the name etc.

Hewitt was 2nd behind Tootle for player of the season last year, the team was playing well and people were doing their jobs, he didn't become the worst player anyone has ever seen over one pre season, he also hasn't been targeted by anyone (surely you would have thought Cambridge would have done that the other week) and he doesn't give away goals week in week out. Sure he may play badly but at this point it's rarer to see someone playing well, we can rotate players as much as we like but if they're set up to fail they will fail more often than not.

Patching had his chance and was crap, same with ox, what do you do after dropping say six first teamers and filling in with kids and they end up getting tonked ?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123