+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Simeos signs

Patrick Cryne said in summer 2016 that Winnall and Hourihane weren't offered new contracts because the club knew they wouldn't sign them. However, they would be staying until the end of the season no matter what. They'd earn't the right to free transfers due to their service to the club. Just sit back and enjoy them.

He then joked at a supporters club meeting that Conor wouldn't be going anywhere. Later in the season it emerged that both Hourihane and Winnall had refused new deals and were annoyed the club hadn't offered them deals sooner.

When Conor Hourihane left for Aston Villa. He stated that it wasn't about money as Barnsley had offered him the highest deal in their history to stay.

Some conflict in statements there. Especially since the club was twice alleged not to have offered players new deals. It later emerged that Scowen was offered less terms when he entered negotiations and left due to feeling undervalued.

People faced with this information and statements are bound to form opinions of the previous regime.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy501 View Post
    No offence to him but as you brought it up, believe it was under Mr.Cryne’s stewardship that the “Big Fire Sale” occurred.
    Also the squad may have not been ready for the Championship but you can’t put half a team of players on the pitch that have never played together before and expect them to perform.
    We are two years down the line now and if our squad isn’t ready for The Championship(apart from not having strength in depth), then no team in league 1 is.

Another classic statement "we didn't know how good he was". Maybe that happened in 2016 as well in the clubs defence. Edging their bets after promotion proved more costly though. Hindsight's a wonderful thing. However, I can see why fans are concerned the same thing might be about to happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by bill46 View Post
    Accept my apologise I thought we were debating the new owners contribution not Patricks.
    There aren't any rules as to what we debate
    Perhaps you'd like to introduce a PC criticism free zone but comparisons are bound to be made

Also the squad may have not been ready for the Championship but you can’t put half a team of players on the pitch that have never played together before and expect them to perform.
    We are two years down the line now and if our squad isn’t ready for The Championship(apart from not having strength in depth), then no team in league 1 is.
    In my opinion this squad would struggle in the Championship in a similar way to Rotherham this season after they went straight back up. I would say only Woodrow, Pinnock and maybe Mowatt and Moore would be comfortable in the Championship. Looking at the teams up there we could possibly give Ipswich, Bolton, Millwall and Rotherham a game and some of them are coming darn but we would struggle against the other 19 teams

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    In my opinion this squad would struggle in the Championship in a similar way to Rotherham this season after they went straight back up. I would say only Woodrow, Pinnock and maybe Mowatt and Moore would be comfortable in the Championship. Looking at the teams up there we could possibly give Ipswich, Bolton, Millwall and Rotherham a game and some of them are coming darn but we would struggle against the other 19 teams
    Nothing that couldn't be cured with a good transfer window and our billionaire owners throwing some money at the Championship as opposed to being more pragmatic in league 1

If we keep this squad together and get promotion there'll be a momentum and 2 years experience together to fall back on. I think we'd be ok in the championship. However, We know deep darn that the better laikers in the squad will be sold and we'd be back to square one and relegated

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    If we keep this squad together and get promotion there'll be a momentum and 2 years experience together to fall back on. I think we'd be ok in the championship. However, We know deep darn that the better laikers in the squad will be sold and we'd be back to square one and relegated
    Agree & disagree pass. Think if we could get promotion the better players would want to stay and see how things go.

Agree & disagree pass. Think if we could get promotion the better players would want to stay and see how things go.

I hope you're right Jonny, its seldom it happens if bigger clubs with bigger wages are interested. There's cases like Hammill where he stopped on after promotion despite other offers but he'd matured a bit and listened to his heart, the players in our squad are all young and have ambitions, they have agents in their ears too so we're always up against it in that respect.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    I hope you're right Jonny, its seldom it happens if bigger clubs with bigger wages are interested. There's cases like Hammill where he stopped on after promotion despite other offers but he'd matured a bit and listened to his heart, the players in our squad are all young and have ambitions, they have agents in their ears too so we're always up against it in that respect.
    And just look how Hammill's loyalty was treated. Shameful

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast