+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ram track record with old fellah defender signings

Ram track record with old fellah defender signings

So Ashley Cole is a Ram, not gone down well with the female Fabers but hey ho

I'm more bothered about what he can add on the pitch, jury's out for me as a 38 year old

I don't go back any further than the majestic Dave MacKay and I'd rate him as the best over-30 defender we ever bought, close runner up for the short period he was here goes to Paul McGrath. Some haven't worked so well though, Mick ****** Coop, that pair from Newcastle, David Webb, it could go all pear shaped if his obvious class isn't matched by decent pace or immac positional sense to make up for it (Mackay and McGrath's greatest assets)

Anyone?

Mackay a great captain and leader, apart from being a great player he organised everyone around him. Never saw him panic in his life.

McGrath was a sensation when he came here, we all know about his demons and glass knees, couldn't train but he put in 100% performances from the day he arrived until the day he left. He kept us up that first season back. One of the greatest players ever.
    Both nice blokes too!

'Class will out' they say and Mackay and McGrath oozed it in bucketfuls!!
    Both could have come for a last payday but as well as class they had pride, pride in their performance and pride in representing the team who were paying their stipend! Legends forever.

Gareth Roberts was a very decent purchase considering our predicament at the time.

Experience is great, but they need the intelligence and leadership to go with it, something our current experienced players lack.

I don't see Cole as any more than a nothing to lose type signing. I'd keep Malone in for now but switch it up during the season if needed. Cole should be more useful on the training ground if he's pushing others for their spot. Who knows regarding his ability to coach, but he definitely has the talent so will have something to offer in that category.

Not old enough to see Mackay and McGrath but in my era think it has to be Stimac and Taribo West

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    Not old enough to see Mackay and McGrath but in my era think it has to be Stimac and Taribo West
    Stop trying to kid us all about you being a youngster, mista. Might work with Leeds’ fans but not the rest of us...
    We all know 50 beckons and anyway...Stimac was signed before McGrath wasn’t he?

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Stop trying to kid us all about you being a youngster, mista. Might work with Leeds’ fans but not the rest of us...
    We all know 50 beckons and anyway...Stimac was signed before McGrath wasn’t he?
    Yes. Stimac 95-99 and McGrath 96-97.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)