+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Harper and Field

Harper and Field

Last night our team and formation lacked creativity. But without Phillips and Barnes this was to be expected.
    Our two young lads are still finding their way and naturally played with caution. First and foremost not to give the ball away by attempting ambitious passes, but instead to utilise their youth and enthusiasm. This is something we have been lacking for a few season, energy in the middle of the park.

Brunt is often criticised on this forum but we have to remember he is often the one that can produce the defence splitting pass forwards thrive on. Morrison is another who can. But let’s face it along with Barry they are not box to box , in fact sometimes their limits are centre circle only. The tipping point is close for me with those guys in terms of what they actually produce when we are in possession of the ball balanced against their effectiveness when we have to chase down the opposition.

Hopefully the confidence of our two young lads will improve. I believe that Field has excellent passing range, and he demonstrated some of this in last nights. But its his goal that impressed me. Not since Mulumbo have we seen anyone with the energy to burst through from midfield and score.

Harper is a kid and has huge potential. At this point I’d say that he’s the best we’ve produced for some time.

Personally I would have hooked Kanu and put Hoolahan just behind Gayle and Rodriguez. It would have helped our middle three and he is a creative player. Also Rodriguez was having to drop too deep to help out and hence limited our options when looking to attack.

I’m actually optimistic with a glass half full
    Last edited by wbaliquidator; 22-01-2019 at 01:11 PM.

Field took his goal well but up untill about 2 mins before he scored you wouldn't even know he was on the pitch , we give the ball away to many times all over the park we are to sloppy alot of the time & we looked flat to me , & hrk what a load of cr*p that man is .

It was a horrible game to watch and I would imagine even worse from the look of the weather conditions....as well as the brutal atmosphere at the half empty stadium...
    With all the at said...it was a great 3 points considering how badly we played...but I have seen us play much better and lose.....So I'll take last night's result with all the moaning that goes with it....

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny on the spot 1 View Post
    Field took his goal well but up untill about 2 mins before he scored you wouldn't even know he was on the pitch , we give the ball away to many times all over the park we are to sloppy alot of the time & we looked flat to me , & hrk what a load of cr*p that man is .

Totally Agree! Love Harper and Field goes missing too much but credit for bursting through and taking his goal well!

HRK is the biggest pile of dog ****e, I have ever seen - he does not even look like a footballer! Again another poor decision from Big Dave - as Leko would trouble any defense more than this useless prick. We looked poor last night against a shockingly poor Bolton side and we had zero creativity once again!

Don't get me started on Giles Barnes and if he signs, whose the next mate signing for Big Dave!!!

In those conditions last night ( torrential rain and freezing cold ) would a trip to country with minus zero temperature been more appropriate than the heat of Dubai!

Quote Originally Posted by wbaliquidator View Post
    Last night our team and formation lacked creativity. But without Phillips and Barnes this was to be expected.
    Our two young lads are still finding their way and naturally played with caution. First and foremost not to give the ball away by attempting ambitious passes, but instead to utilise their youth and enthusiasm. This is something we have been lacking for a few season, energy in the middle of the park.

Brunt is often criticised on this forum but we have to remember he is often the one that can produce the defence splitting pass forwards thrive on. Morrison is another who can. But let’s face it along with Barry they are not box to box , in fact sometimes their limits are centre circle only. The tipping point is close for me with those guys in terms of what they actually produce when we are in possession of the ball balanced against their effectiveness when we have to chase down the opposition.

Hopefully the confidence of our two young lads will improve. I believe that Field has excellent passing range, and he demonstrated some of this in last nights. But its his goal that impressed me. Not since Mulumbo have we seen anyone with the energy to burst through from midfield and score.

Harper is a kid and has huge potential. At this point I’d say that he’s the best we’ve produced for some time.

Personally I would have hooked Kanu and put Hoolahan just behind Gayle and Rodriguez. It would have helped our middle three and he is a creative player. Also Rodriguez was having to drop too deep to help out and hence limited our options when looking to attack.

I’m actually optimistic with a glass half full
    I'm optimistic too - which is unusual on this board!

I think Field needs - and deserves - a good run of games in CM. He's never let us down in that position and he's been treated unfairly in my opinion by being dropped and not being sent out on loan to get minutes under his belt.

Barry, Morrison and Brunt are all coming to the end of their careers now and Field and Harper are the next generation, so I would blood them.

Our back 4 are pleasing me, I think we look really solid at the back if we keep them all fit. That's why I can't get my head around the Mings signing.

And fully agree on the HRK, I just don't think he has any attribute other than workrate that can trouble a defender. I'd like to see Phillips replace him. First XI looks pretty good then as long as they all stay fit for the rest of the season because our squad strength is weak.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)