+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Millers Memoirs - Leeds United

Millers Memoirs - Leeds United

If you think things are bad now, cast your mind back to the 04/05 season.
    It's the end of November and with Rotherham firmly rooted to the foot of the newly rebranded Championship table all season, and well adrift of safety, we wondered who could possibly be sh@t enough to lose against us and give us our first win of the season?

We've got Leeds at home on the 29th November, it's on telly, just a couple of years previous to this we were watching them on telly playing the likes of Barcelona and Inter Milan in the Champions League. This is going to be embarrassing.

Well, it certainly was embarrassing. But not for us.
    This was possibly the most drunken I've ever been at a football match, I got a bit carried away with the pre match pints and watched most of the game through one eye, otherwise there were two games going on. The same game but double. I'm sure we've all been there.

So through my one open eye, I watched Leeds absolutely tear us apart with wave after wave of attacks, they hit the woodwork three times in the first give minutes. This is going to be a long night methinks.
    Somehow we managed to get to half time 0-0.
    Leeds carried on in the second half as they did in the first half but to no avail.
    15 minutes to go, maybe we could get a credible 0-0 draw?

Then, somehow, with our first and only meaningful attempt at goal, Rotherham go 1-0 up! I can't remember if it was a header, a free kick or what. I have a very vague memory of someone hitting a daisy cutter which was going wide until legendary skipper Martin Macintosh deflected it in?
    Utter pandemonium!

Amazingly we held on to claim our first win of the season and what better team to do it against. We didn't deserve it but it did not matter.

It wasn't the great Leeds team of the 60s and 70s, or the more recent O'Leary era, but it was still a win against Leeds and one we could proudly boast about for a while.

We were still relegated that season and Leeds still haven't managed to get back into the top flight.

Don't know about you, but I'd take another win like that one this Saturday.

UTM

Here you go Hazza - a free kick, followed by a back heel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuoaaBxs0Ko

PS The quality of the video will probably recreate how you felt that evening watching through one drunken eye