+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Jordan Jones/ GMS and the transfer window - a contrast

Jordan Jones/ GMS and the transfer window - a contrast

Steve Clarke has show brilliant man management over the Jordan Jones pre contract. Clarke knows that keeping Jones is one of the keys to maintaining their season having lost their other top performer Greg Stewart. Fans obviously not happy and his embarrassing tweet made things worse. Clarke decides to publicly state he is a Killie player and if the fans boo him they are booing Clarke. So he gets the fans on board and Jones has to show he wont let his boss down. Scores the winner against newco. It was telling that when he scored he immediately ran towards Steve Clarke.

Contrast this with the Armstrong/ GMS saga. Armstrong went for reasonable money but GMS was a pre contract and I maintain keeping one of these players would have prevented the meteoric collapse we had that season ending in relegation. ST invents some story about GMS demanding to be away (he was under contract) to get a few extra pounds, which in fact was dwarfed by the cost of relegation. And it should be said many of the fans also said feck GMS and wanted him out. The point though is leadership. If it had been shown at United in the way Killie handled it we could have limited the damage of that transfer window. The rest is history.

We didn’t get relegated the season he left halfway through....it was the season after

Have Sevco offered any money now to Killie for Jones? If not it's not an analogous situation at all.

I reckon if Killie got a quarter of a million pounds offer for him now he'd be off.

Quote Originally Posted by Sande_Man View Post
    We didn’t get relegated the season he left halfway through....it was the season after

Of course. My memory playing tricks. It was the start of the collapse. We were pretty much level pegging with Aberdeen at the time and just beat them in the cup semi.
    Last edited by psych; 24-01-2019 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    Have Sevco offered any money now to Killie for Jones? If not it's not an analogous situation at all.

I reckon if Killie got a quarter of a million pounds offer for him now he'd be off.

I am not claiming it is a direct analogy but there are some similarities. Steve Clarke has handled it superbly and has made it clear that he wants Jones at the club. ST couldn't wait to offload GMS blaming the player and signalling to Celtic come and get him.

That may be the case but I doubt it. A simpler explanation is Celtic put an offer in right at the death and ST couldn't resist. All the noise he had been making before that was he wasn't selling. As I understand it he even texted the chairman of the Fed saying so earlier that evening.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    That may be the case but I doubt it. A simpler explanation is Celtic put an offer in right at the death and ST couldn't resist. All the noise he had been making before that was he wasn't selling. As I understand it he even texted the chairman of the Fed saying so earlier that evening.
    What that ‘man’ did that night can never be forgiven. Ever. It wasn’t just the deceit nor the greed. Selling when he did and most importantly to who he did cut to the very essence of being not just a United supporter but indeed being a supporter of any smaller club in comparison to the big sides. You basically keep going up every week, supporting your team and at times enduring, particularly just now, some utter rubbish. But the point is is that you keep doing that in the hope that it all comes good and that you have the chance to enjoy some payback and see good football and/or trophies. What he did that night was sell more than just two players; he also ripped apart our hearts and existence as United supporters and left us asking the very basic questions such as ‘Well what’s the point?’ and ‘Why are we bothering with this in the first place?’. As, if you’re not following your team in an effort to see them eventually win something, then what is the point indeed?
    Last edited by JamesMcClean; 24-01-2019 at 05:35 PM.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)