+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Lakeland Fells...

Picture of our wild camp in Ennerdale Forest (I'm the one with the arse).

As you can see, we were practically on the track, hence our fear of being flattened by a truck.

Can we make this thread a Sticky please BT ? It could run for many a year

And please lads if you tackle those mountains, fells, pikes etc please take photos!

One here from the top of Great Gable with Was****er and Wasdale in the background.

It is me and my beloved Mrs 59-60.

Where is that like button when you need it ?

''And did those feet in ancient time,
    Walk upon Englands mountains green:
    and t'was our lad who met his queen
    On Englands pleasant mountains seen!''

My walk yesterday afternoon gave me a few shots ( sorry no fells and majestic mountains. )

how do i print screen

We set off on our latest expedition yesterday to Steel Fell, just north of Grasmere.

There was a shedload of snow and it was below zero. It was very misty when we set off but as we started the ascent the mist rolled away producing some breathtaking effects. Then the views in the bright sunshine of the snow covered fells was amazing.

We were climbing in about 8 inches of virgin snow (no path visible at all - we were the first visitors since the snowfall) and it was hard graft.

Near the top we were confronted by a steep looking crag and we couldn't find a safe way through. We could probably have scrambled up but it looked like it would be very dodgy coming down again. We didn't have crampons and the path was buried in the snow.

So we made the decision to abort and had a brilliant lunch stop just below the crag. (Ham and mustard butties, Eccles cakes , biscuits and coffee).

Some of the scenery was absolutely spectacular, including a view of just the very top of Helm Crag appearing through the mist as if it were levitating high in the sky.

We had a pint in Tweedies Bar in Grasmere and then a good chicken madras in the Watermill in Ings (in between Kendal and Windermere)

A superb day - photographs to follow.

Superb photos Balan ..

We finally climbed Steel Fell on Monday.

There was still plenty of snow about but we were able to pick a way through the crags that halted us last Wednesday in the deep snow.

There were some spectacular views with good visibility.

Our lunch stop consisted of chicken and salad butties, biscuits and coffee.

And yes, we called in the Golden Rule in Ambleside on the way back

Mrs 59-60 takes a break in a snow drift

Me and Mrs 59-60 on top. Thirlmere in the distance

Here is the crag that defeated us last Wednesday

Last Wednesday again. A view of Helm Crag with the howitzer which just appeared through the mist and looked very surreal. It seemed to be hanging in the sky with the mist all around.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)