+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: The Lakeland Fells...

I'm in Norfolk at the moment 59/60.. The contrast between the lakes and down here couldn't be much different,with not a hill in sight..Done many a mile cycling in the glorious sunshine..

A funny tale to tell now.. We cycled to a place called How Hill ne'er Ludham and parked up the bikes and had a walk around.. Went down to the broad and a boat was just mooring up after taking an elderly lady and her daughter(i think) for a short trip.. They got off the boat and the old lady was taking a picture of the guy who had steered the boat and she suddenly stepped backwards to get him in view and fell straight of the edge of the platform into the water (about three foot deep and went straight under lol her daughter jumped in to help her and me and the missus rushed to lift them out ..She was dripping wet and still had hold of her phone as we dragged them out.. Luckily no damage done only a soaking..We helped them on their way to the car then walked off and both of us just fell about laughing our heads off.. I know we shouldn't ,but it was so funny..Wish I had caught it on camera..lol

Well done Alf - your good deed for the day.

I love Norfolk. Totally different to anywhere else but it has an old world charm about it.

I have been told that there are two main industries down there.

Those who make ale and those who sup it.

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    I'm in Norfolk at the moment 59/60.. The contrast between the lakes and down here couldn't be much different,with not a hill in sight..Done many a mile cycling in the glorious sunshine..

A funny tale to tell now.. We cycled to a place called How Hill ne'er Ludham and parked up the bikes and had a walk around.. Went down to the broad and a boat was just mooring up after taking an elderly lady and her daughter(i think) for a short trip.. They got off the boat and the old lady was taking a picture of the guy who had steered the boat and she suddenly stepped backwards to get him in view and fell straight of the edge of the platform into the water (about three foot deep and went straight under lol her daughter jumped in to help her and me and the missus rushed to lift them out ..She was dripping wet and still had hold of her phone as we dragged them out.. Luckily no damage done only a soaking..We helped them on their way to the car then walked off and both of us just fell about laughing our heads off.. I know we shouldn't ,but it was so funny..Wish I had caught it on camera..lol
    Nice area Alf, we used to moor up at Neatishead Staithe regularly and walk to the Barton Angler for something to eat, sadly that's a private house now but the White Horse at Neatishead was a decent replacement last time we were there. Busy though, you might need to book, unless the missus is doing all the cooking. On holiday mine won't.

Only been once but loved it. Most memorable recollection: a local was catching crayfish, he sold us a dozen for about a tenner. The ex-wife boiled them (she would!), I then chucked them on the barbie to brown them off, OMG delicious!

We were woke up this morning about 5 ish with a loud bang on the side of our Motorhome,this is what I found when I went and had a look.. Absolutely gutted as I love kingfishers ..Should have gone to Specsavers ..

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  17.4 KB

Just back from our latest escapade. We had a superb day doing a round of the Langdale Pikes.

Setting off from Dungeon Ghyll we ascended through fantastic landscapes to the magnificent Stickle Tarn with the impressive face of Pavey Ark as a backdrop. We considered climbing Pavey Ark by Jack's Rake for about half a second before opting for the East ridge route.
    It was tough going but eventually we reached the top which had an incredible view of Stickle Tarn vertically below us and magnificent views of half of the Lakeland Fells and quite a view lakes.
    We then meandered over to Thunacar Knott which was a bit meh.
    Before we attempted our next target Pike O'Stickle we had a very agreeable dinner stop which consisted of Sausage and ham butties, Eccles cakes, biscuits, crisps and coffee.
    Pike O'Stickle proved to be a short but very difficult climb on very craggy terrain but we finally worked out a do-able route and found ourselves on top. Once again the views were stunning.
    Next up was Loft Crag which, whilst it looked like Pike O'Stickle, proved to be an easier summit to reach. We were rewarded with our best viewpoint of the day which took in the entire Langdale Valley, the Scafell range in the distance, the Glaramara range , the Band leading up to Bowfell and loads of other peaks.
    Our final peak of the day was Harrison Stickle where we had to drag our tiring bodies up a pretty long ascent. If you haven't experienced the feeling and views from one of these hills then you are missing out.
    We started to decend to Stickle Tarn when we witnessed real drama. Three rock climbers were out on the near vertical face of Pavey Ark. When we looked through the binoculars we discovered that they were attempting a very perilous rescue of a sheep that had got stuck on a very narrow ledge 600 feet above tarn. They had managed somehow to get a harness on the sheep and were attempting to lift it to safety. We could hear the frenetic shouting from our viewpount - maybe 600 yards away. Finally the sheep was saved and the climbers ascended to the top. Very impressive indeed.
    We finally decamped into the amazing Old Dungeon Ghyll Hotel which brought back very fond memories from the 60's and 70's for me. It has hardly changed since then.
    I enjoyed a marvellous burger, chips and salad and some beautiful Loweswater Gold.
    God is in his heaven and all's well with the world.

I can remember the first time we climbed Jack's Rake 59, must be 35 years ago now. We eventually climbed out onto the top of Pavey Ark feeling quite pleased with ourselves, then we noticed stood there looking at us was an oldish couple, ordinary clothes on, ordinary everyday shoes, and no rucksack or anything, just a plastic Asda shopping bag. I couldn't believe it, they looked for all the world like the local bus had just dropped them off, and they were looking at us as if to say 'there's nowt to climbing hills like this, what are you wallies doing with all that gear on'. It really took all the sense of achievement away.

I'm impressed Sinkov. I have never done Jack's Rack and I doubt I ever will. Striding Edge and Sharp Edge are my limit - I don't enjoy the feeling of exposure with a big drop inches away.
    I must admit that I used to climb the fells in ordinary clothes back in the day. I was too tight to buy the gear.
    On one notable occasion me and my Dad climbed Helvellyn via Striding Edge with my Dad wearing carpet slippers. He forgot to put his shoes on when we left the tent.
    And you do see some very odd sights. One wet and windy day on Haystacks we saw a couple about half way up. The lady was looking very miserable trying to keep her umbrella from blowing inside out.

If anyone on here would like to see the Lakes from a good viewpoint then there are lots of fairly easy options.
    Latrigg (near Keswick) has magnificent views and you can start the short, easy walk from most of the way up. details at this link.
    https://www.sallyscottages.co.uk/blog/easy-walk-latrigg

Another one is Orrest Head in Windermere. This short walk was the inspiration for Wainwright to do his thing. Last time I was up I was chatting to a ninety odd year old chap who had moved to Windermere 40 years previously. He walks up Orrest Head every day.
    https://www.lakeswalks.co.uk/walks/o...om_windermere/

There are plenty more routes which are also accessible for people with limited mobility.

I think you should try Jack's Rake 59, seriously it isn't that difficult or exposed, just don't look down too often. I'm no climber, never have been, but I'd say Jack's Rake is no more than an average scramble, even the missus has been up it, and she is certainly not one for taking risks. It's probably 25 years since the last time I climbed it, so I've no idea what condition it's in nowadays, it could be more dangerous than it used to be, I don't know.

It looks very hairy from a distance Sinkov, but so do a lot of other routes which turn out to be straight forward.

It is classed as a rock climb though and I am not a rock climber. Plus we would inevitably have our labrador with us and she is barmy.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)