+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: The Lakeland Fells...

Is it a "Black" Labrador 59..?

Yes Alf. Six year old Tess.

My last dog was called Tess,she was a blue Merle..she passed away six years ago and I still miss her soooo much..

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    It looks very hairy from a distance Sinkov, but so do a lot of other routes which turn out to be straight forward.

It is classed as a rock climb though and I am not a rock climber. Plus we would inevitably have our labrador with us and she is barmy.
    Is it really 59, it never used to be, I've no idea why, Health and Safety in the fells now I presume. I've been up more difficult routes that were only classed as scrambles as well, one on Dow Crag in particular I would never go near again. You can trust me on this, unless some parts have eroded you'll get up without breaking sweat, although the only way you'll get Tess up is in your rucksack, and I presume she's too big for that.

Evening (morning!) Sinkov!

I hope the cruise is going swimmingly...well, not literally of course. I think France is my favorite country and you will be going through some beautiful and interesting countryside. Are you going on the train?

On your advise i have uncrossed Jacks's Rake off my list. But I'll do it on my own first without Mrs 59-60 and Tess.

Here is a photograph that I took.

Have a great trip!

Sinkov, we climbed Dow Crag last year by the normal path.

A few years ago my rock climbing mate (not JP) took me up one of the gullies of Dow Crag and it was pretty unpleasant. I have no idea which one we went up but it was very steep with loose rocks and scree. I presume that you went up a similar, if not the same, gully.

Picture we took of Dow Crag last year.

It was a route up the face of Dow Crag 59, amongst the real rock climbs, it had a name but I can't remember it now, I'll check in my guide book when I get back and let you know. Went on the steam train yesterday, it's a good 'un but we didn't do the full trip, sort of half-way up and then back again.

I'll check with my mate and see if he remembers which route up Dow Crag we used.

Yesterday we set off from Grasmere and went up the beautiful Easedale Valley on the pack horse route to Borrowdale. Near the head of the pass we turned right to climb Calf Crag. We then followed the ridge to Gibson Knott and Helm Crag. The views all day long were superlative. Our dinner stop was just below Calf Crag with a magnificent aerial view of the Easedale Valley and the surrounding fells. Brilliant. We had pasta and mackerel, Eccles cakes, biscuits, crisps and coffee.
    When we got to Helm Crag we opted for NOT attempting the summit rock, the Howitzer, but we claimed the top anyway.
    We descended to Grasmere on a lovely path with spectacular views over Grasmere and the nearby fells.
    We had our tea in Tweedy's bar which was a bit more expensive than usual but was very nice. I had chicken with a load of veg and poncy potatoes and some excellent OPA. Another great day. We are now up to 116 Wainwright peaks since we started in April 2017.

I hope your trip is going well - great wine in that area. I visited the caves of Chateauneuf du Pape and Le Hermitage on my bike trip.

It is going well thanks 59, the temp has been dropping all week from 36 to around 30 now, so it's much more tolerable. Just been talking to a taxi driver in Lyon, he knew all about United and City but had never heard of Burnley, I showed him my members card but even that didn't bring any recognition, sometimes I despair.

Surely he has heard of the legendary Jean-Louis Valois Sinkov?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)