+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Lakeland Fells...

The Lakeland Fells...

Can we please put all of our comments on the walks, visits and memories of the Lakeland Fells on one thread?

I am really interested to read all of your comments because I have personally visited not all, but a lot of them.

Supersub's comment about getting off our arses to get fit for the current relegation battle inspired me and a mate who lives up in Cumbria to tackle Dollywagon Pike and Helvellyn next week. Probably kill me but WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post

Supersub's comment about getting off our arses to get fit for the current relegation battle inspired me and a mate who lives up in Cumbria to tackle Dollywagon Pike and Helvellyn next week. Probably kill me but WTF?
    Try going up Helvellyn by Striding Edge or Swirral Edge in ice and snow BT, and it very well might.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Try going up Helvellyn by Striding Edge or Swirral Edge in ice and snow BT, and it very well might.
    In the younger days sinkov I might have been tempted, but the plan now is for a proper weather watch and ascend via Grisedale Tarn and then loop the loop.

I'm a bit meh about Helvellyn BT, going up Striding Edge and down Swirral Edge were the only worthwhile bits I thought. The rest of it I found a tedious trek, so if those two ridges are out because of the conditions I'd go somewhere else. But that's just me, others love the place, it's their favourite climb.

Great news BT! You won't believe the benefits you will get once you get a few miles in your legs.

But I agree with Sinkov. That walk is a long 'un and there is loads of snow on the tops.

That snow has now turned to ice and is treacherous on steep slopes. I wouldn't even consider Striding Edge or Swirral Edge when they are iced up. Well, not until you have done a bit more walking anyway.

We are limiting our trips to the smaller, shorter ones at this time of year because of the weather and short days.

I would advise that you tackle Loughrigg Fell, Helm Crag, Silver Howe or similar. Even then I would advise taking walking poles with you - there will still be ice on these tops next week.

Sorry if this comes across as teaching your granny to suck eggs, but it is easy to get in trouble at this time of year.

And don't forget to find time for a visit to a local hostelry afterwards!

This is me and my brother in law on top of Helvellyn. It was 7AM - we set off very early because it was in the middle of last years heatwave.

Perhaps we can organise a trip from this board later in the year?

Last edited by 1959_60; 24-01-2019 at 10:06 AM.

I shall alert the various Lake District Mountain Rescue Teams in advance!!

Seriously though, good luck to you all in whatever you do.

Tell you what 59, you've more chance of getting me to vote LibDem than getting me on top of Helvellyn at 7am !!!

I've conquered Helvelyn and I wouldn't recommend anyone doing it in adverse weather.. Fantastic on a hot summers day though well worth the trip.. One of my favourite hikes..

Aye Alf.

Other things to take into consideration when climbing high, especially in winter, are...

It's MUCH colder up there.

It's likely to be a lot windier - add on the cold and it cut's through you like a knife.

Make sure the visibility is going to be OK up there. It can be very disorienting wandering around in mist with poor visibility.

Make sure you allow yourself plenty of time. It can be very tempting to try to make a dash for the top and end up trying to find your way back in the dark. Always take a torch.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Tell you what 59, you've more chance of getting me to vote LibDem than getting me on top of Helvellyn at 7am !!!
    Normally I would agree Sinkov (in fact, reading what you said, of course I would agree!!) but this was during the heatwave. It was a very pleasant ascent at that time of morning. We also did Raise and Whiteside. On the way down we passed many people toiling up in temperatures of 30 degrees. But we didn't laugh at them. Well, not until they were out of earshot.

We did a similar jaunt when we did Pillar, Steeple and Scoat Fell shortly afterwards - we camped out in Ennerdale Forest near a loggers track for this one. We were just drifting off around midnight when there was an almighty noise that seemed to be coming straight towards us. We feared it may be a timber truck but we could see no light. The noise became deafening and we thought that we, and our tent, were about to become mangled. It was obviously a very low flying transport plane, possibly an RAF Hercules, which was on a night time low altitude training exercise.
    This was repeated twice more in the next 90 minutes and we never got any sleep at all.
    All's well that ends well and we had a memorable day up there.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)