+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: The Lakeland Fells...

There are many in Burnley never heard of Jean-Luis Valois 59, some of them have even seen him play.

That's true!

But the bloke was actually born in Lyon.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    It is going well thanks 59, the temp has been dropping all week from 36 to around 30 now, so it's much more tolerable. Just been talking to a taxi driver in Lyon, he knew all about United and City but had never heard of Burnley, I showed him my members card but even that didn't bring any recognition, sometimes I despair.
    He won't be making a takeover bid for the club then sinkov? I just can't understand it!

Our latest mission this week was Dollywagon Pike and Nethermost Pike.

We parked at Dunmail Raise (a big historic pile of rocks north of Grasmere) and climbed up Raise Beck to Grisedale Tarn which is a magnificent setting in a bowl surrounded by large hills (Fairfield, St Sunday's Crag, Dollywagon Pike and others).
    From there the ascent of Dollywagon was steep but the path was excellent and we were soon at the top. The day had started out murky and wet but we got some terrific mountain views of the crags and cliffs beneath us all the way to our next destination of Nethermost Pike.
    From here the view over to Helvellyn, Striding Edge and Catsycam was amazing.
    We had our dinner in a wind shelter on top. Ham and cheese butties, Eccles cakes, crisps, a Kit Kat and coffee were on the menu.
    Having already ticked off Helvellyn we decided against the short stroll to the top (which kept going in and out of the drifting mist) and we descended using the Wythburn track. The weather improved and we got some fantastic views of Thirlmere and the surrounding fells.
    We made our first visit to the Travellers Rest hotel, just North of Grasmere, for our tea and it was excellent. i had chicken and chips in a basket and some brilliant Jennings ale.

It was another great day.

This week we braved the hot and sticky conditions and headed for the Langdale Valley.
    Parking at the Old Dungeon Ghyll car park we set off up Mickleden and started the gruelling ascent of Rossett Gill. by gum, it wer hot!
    The views in retrospect were amazing and we stopped to enjoy the scenery many times.
    Finally we crested the top of the gill and descended to the marvelous Angle Tarn (I'll have to put a photograph up) where we cooled off a bit.
    Continuing to ascend the views opened out even more as we made our way to Esk Hause. This is one of my favorite spots in the Lakes, a piece of flattish land at high altitude with great views in every direction.
    Here we dinnered on ham sandwiches, Kit Kats, cakes and coffee.
    We toiled up the final bit of Esk Pike on very rough ground and had a good rest. Even though we were over 2900 foot it was still very warm but there was a strongish wind which made it bearable.
    It was tricky underfoot as we dropped down to Ore Gap(where the earth is bright red due to the iron content) and then climbed the last 450 foot to Bowfell on even rockier ground. the last bit was a real boulder field.
    The viewpoint from this top is like an eagle's lair with steep drops and fantastic scenery.
    Finally we began the unpleasant steep and rocky descent to the "three tarns", and this time there really were three tarns. Usually I have only seen one or two. On the way we passed the spectacular Great Slab which, as it sounds, is a massive sheet of rock at an unusual angle.
    We finished the descent by dropping down via The Band to the valley floor and then a short stroll to the car park.
    For the last hour of the walk we had seen spectacular electrical storms a few miles away and it started to rain on the final stage of the descent.
    As soon as we got to the car the heavens opened and it was torrential.
    We tried the Wainwright Bar in Chapel stile and enjoyed steak and ale pie with the trimmings washed down by Cumberland ale (by heck, it tasted good!)
    A very tough but enjoyable day.

This week we got absolutely dumped on while climbing Hart Side near Ullswater.
    The weather forecast was not good but we set off anyway and made our way to the Aira Force car park on Ullswater. The weather was good so we decided to go for it. And it was a brilliant walk with superb views of Ullswater. Then, about 700 feet from the top the heavens opened. We made the final ascent and descent in torrential rain with very poor visibility. I can't wax lyrical about the views from the top because there wasn't one.
    As we descended the rain stopped and the views returned but we were wet through by now. We had our dinner stop (ham butties, Eccles cakes, biscuits and coffee) at a lovely spot with magnificent views of the lake and surrounding fells.
    For the second week running we just made it back to the car when a torrential thunderstorm broke round our earholes.
    We made our way to the excellent White Lion in Patterdale for a superb curry and Wainwrights ale where we exchanged tales of our walk with other, equally damp, walkers.
    We actually enjoyed the day in a masochistic sort of way.
    We have now completed 120 of the 214 Wainwright peaks.

Alfi : For you Kingfishers

Pied Kingfisher

White throated Kingfisher

nearest shell gasoline station

and the Common Kingfisher:

free photo hosting sites

Evening All.

We have been in the Lakes and stayed at the Bridge Hotel in Santon Bridge - which hosts the "Biggest Liar in the World" competition every November. It was brilliant. Great atmosphere, decent food and brilliant ale.

I finally made it up to the top of Scafell (not Scafell Pike) which I had never done before. On the way down we took in Slight Side which was our 126th Wainwright peak (out of 214).
    The day was bright and dry but with a very strong wind which was gale force on top. It was a tricky walk with most of the way being over moorland and rocky surfaces with little sign of a path. The views were incredible all day, especially from the top where we could see the hoardes of walkers on top of Scafell Pike, while we had the top of Scafell (48 feet lower) all to ourselves. We sheltered here for around 30 minutes and enjoyed a dinner of mackerel pasta, biscuits, Chorley cakes, crisps and coffee.
    As we descended the wind dropped and it was a glorious evening with superb views of W&s****er and the surrounding high fells. These included Great Gable, the Scafells, Kirk Fell, Pillar etc.
    We had an awesome meal of steak and ale pie, chips and salad washed down by some excellent Cumberland ale.
    It made a nice change in not having to drive home and after a few more beers we enjoyed a peaceful nights kip.
    Next morning it was chucking it down but we enjoyed our time in this most dramatic place.

I haven't given an update for a few weeks but we have been knocking the hills off regularly.

Yesterday we set off from Thirlmere and made the steep ascent of the Sticks Pass. The weather was surprisingly good and the views were superlative over the lake and to Keswick and beyond.
    Reaching the top of the pass we then turned left to ascend our first target, Stybarrow Dodd. Not many people about, they were obviously worried about the weather, but it continued to be good all day apart from one short shower and a twenty minute spell when the mist came down.
    Next up was Watsons Dodd as we made our way northwards in the direction of Blencathra. We reached our highest point of the day on Great Dodd which gave us amazing views towards Ullswater and the Pennines in the distance.
    We then descended towards Clough Head, dinnering on the way on chicken pasta, Eccles cakesm buscuits, crisps and coffee.
    It was a very pleasant gradual climb to Clough Head where we were rewarded with a brilliant view of Blencathra.
    We descended to the Old Coach Road which for centuries had taken passengers by stagecoach between Keswick and Ullswater.
    For tea we used the brilliant Horse and Farrier in Threlkeld and I had a superb ploughmans lunch with an absolutely marvellous Sharp Edge bitter.
    W have completed 137 Wainwright now - 77 to go.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)