+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1982

Thirty seven, yes thirty seven years ago this week we were in a worse position than we are now. Then, as has been mentioned on other threads came the inspirational signing of Gerry Gow. Driven on by a player who just 9 months earlier had featured large in the Centenary Cup Final for Manchester City and by a manager who had won just about everything you could win in the game we went on a run of form that for me, and probably many others my age following RUFC it was the most exciting time we have experienced. Sadly, a couple of missed penalties against Newcastle (Towner) and Luton (Gow) were what would ultimately cost us the 4 points that prevented us making it to the promised land and the rest as they say is history. Before 12 months were up Emlyn would be sacked, we would be relegated and Gerry Gow moved on.

So what has happened in those 37 years when we have played at Division 2/Championship level? It's not particularly a story of success. Yes, we've had the odd highlights in among many lowlights but basically in the 8 full seasons we've spent in the 2nd tier since then we have been relegated 3 times (twice embarrassingly in a distant last place), we have finished one place above relegation 3 times and only on 2 occasions have we enjoyed the comfort of 'success' with 15th and 17th place finishes under Ronnie in '03 and '04. In those 8 seasons we have never had a positive goal difference, the best being 0 in the season we started off by thumping Millwall 6-0.

So is it any surprise that we find ourselves where we are today? It's a struggle, it's always been a struggle for us to survive. Does that make it any easier on the fans? Of course it doesn't. But all we can do is support the team best we can (unless someone has a spare 10M in their back pocket), enjoy what we have, and hope that the spirit of a crazy horse and a tough tackling Scotsman can somehow pass through NYS and give us all even a little bit of what we experienced in 1982.

PS

Couple of things I noticed when researching.

The Centenary Cup Final ended after extra time on Saturday around 5:30pm and the replay kicked off the following Wednesday at 7:30pm. No mean feat to print, distribute and sell 92,000 tickets in just 4 days. All without the luxury of the internet and online payments of course. Also could never work out why Wembley capacity was 92,000 for night games and 100,000 for days games. Are people 10% fatter at night? OK, I know it's something to do with security but why?

The only major trophy Emlyn Hughes never won was The World Cup. He never even played in the finals but maybe if he did we would have won a 2nd World Cup? He was in the squad in Mexico in 1970 and I saw it stated that if Sir Alf had used him to replace an exhausted and sick Terry Cooper in the fateful quarter final defeat to West Germany (lost 3-2 AET after being 2-0 up) the outcome might have been different. Food for thought!

That as been a great read,thank you,the Gerry Gow era,was a fabulous time to be a Miller,you went to the game knowing that whoever we played,we had a fantastic chance of winning,them lads who were in that team,made you feel ten feet tall,such wonderful memories,it saddens me to say it,but i don't think we will ever see the like of it again,i would love to be wrong,and get ready for the match on a Saturday,and be thinking to myself,you guys better get ready,the Millers are coming for you.

Good read that CA. Can see poor old Emlyn now with his tie ups hanging out of the top of his socks.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post

The only major trophy Emlyn Hughes never won was The World Cup. He never even played in the finals but maybe if he did we would have won a 2nd World Cup? He was in the squad in Mexico in 1970 and I saw it stated that if Sir Alf had used him to replace an exhausted and sick Terry Cooper in the fateful quarter final defeat to West Germany (lost 3-2 AET after being 2-0 up) the outcome might have been different. Food for thought!
    Didn't win the Euros either.

He did play in both legs of the 1972 quarter final which we lost 3-1 on aggregate to West Germany, always them.

Did quite well though to say he wasn't a naturally talented player and had to work at it.
    Last edited by great_fire; 24-01-2019 at 09:51 PM.

Emlyn Hughes - what a hero

Crazy Horse without a doubt

One of Rotherham’s finest moments, sacking him and replacing him with George Kerr

I seem to remember we missed a few penalties that season, Towner missed one at Derby and Hughes missed one at home to Wednesday but scored the rebound. Can anyone think of any others?

For a moment Cam I thought you'd discovered a George Orwell prequel !

I really enjoyed that, CAM, thank you. Girds up the loins for Saturday’s difficult encounter...

A lot of sentimental tosh about Hughes i am afraid.

Don't get me wrong the record winning run in February 82 was amazing. I was fortunate to go to every game.

However, speak to a few pro's from that team about Hughes and you will get a more balanced picture.

Let's also remember he was responsible for breaking up one of our greatest centre back pairings, Stancliffe and Mullen,(he dropped Mullen)...just so Hughes could play himself.

He had enthusiasm and commitment as a player ( very Warne like) but to say he would have made the difference against Gerd Muller's Germany is laughable. Maybe He would have made a difference but not a positive one.

He was well past his best when he played for the Millers , witness his shambolic display against QPR away. He did score one good goal against Shrewsbury and that was it.

He gave the club a profile for a while but unfortunately his massive ego sabotaged one of our best ever squads.

Which pros from that team did you speak to IBS?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast