+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The England Cricket team

Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post
    These guys must be super fit in their own way. As a batsman one mistake and it's all over. Concentration levels to bat for hours must be phenominal. As a batsman does your lad get any help on how to concentrate?
    And the wear and tear for bowlers with all those repetitive actions has got to be tough.
    As for wicketkeepers how do they do it?

Saw a test where they fitted cameras to the helmuts of a top batsman and a No.11 and followed where they looking as they hurled down 85mph deliveries at them. The batsman was looking in front of the ball before it bounced and the bowler was looking just behind it.
    I thought it was interesting.
    A lot of the concentration technique comes naturally as if you go to sleep you are soon woken up with a rib tickler, but they do coach it too.
    I haven't seen that video of the batsmen wearing a camera, do you know where I can find it?

Quote Originally Posted by goodlordmurphy View Post
    A lot of the concentration technique comes naturally as if you go to sleep you are soon woken up with a rib tickler, but they do coach it too.
    I haven't seen that video of the batsmen wearing a camera, do you know where I can find it?
    It was a few years ago and may have been on Sky during an interval. Can't be of anymore help I'm afraid

It was a few years ago and may have been on Sky during an interval. Can't be of anymore help I'm afraid
    Just found this. It isn't what I saw but confirms the findings

https://www.sportskeeda.com/cricket/...tch-ball-90mph

Top order batsmen’s brains are so “groooved/trained” by repetition that they play the ball from the bowler’s hand position from what I remember.

There isn’t enough reaction time between the ball release and it reaching the bat to actually play the ball exactly on its own merits......they anticipate where the ball will end up so this is the reason their eyes are ahead of the ball flight.

The reason a tail end batsman gets hit in the nads is because they are making the mistake of following the ball which leaves them too little reaction time.

Nice one 9 2 3

When facing a pace bowler the batter should learn the bowlers rhythm right from the first step build up with him and learn to watch the ball from the hand, then maybe it is possible to see the trajectory at the earliest moment, it becomes a bit easier to do all this when you play against the same bowlers a lot.

Fascinating stuff from 9Goals and Murphy.

One thing I've wondered is how do batsmen practise how to face 90 mph balls on a grass wicket. (Practising bowlers will never reach the extra 10 mph that they give in a real match, and the nets are on astroturf).

Quote Originally Posted by talkSAFT View Post
    Fascinating stuff from 9Goals and Murphy.

One thing I've wondered is how do batsmen practise how to face 90 mph balls on a grass wicket. (Practising bowlers will never reach the extra 10 mph that they give in a real match, and the nets are on astroturf).
    I have no experience anything above village cricket but I assume the counties use bowling machines to deliver the 90mph stuff.

As regards seeing the ball yes it can be taught but can it be learned? Presumably the No.11 county bastsman had been taught how to do it but lacked the natural ability to take it in.

I’ve faced 90+ mph bowling at an indoor place in Chesterfield with Work mates a few times.

We used to set up the machine and then stand back and clock where the ball was pitching and the height of the bounce.

After a few balls and fully protected we’d then face up.

From release point to it pitching is about .35 of a second at 90 mph.

In truth you hardly see it but knowing where it’ll pitch allows you to make contact......often quite sweetly.

Most top order batsmen basically play a line within certain parameters I think and train their brain to pull out or play in the last .10 of a second.

Without the prior knowledge I might as well have been playing blind cricket.

What's your grandson's name GLM as a mate of mine is the scorer for Leicestershire 2nd X1? I'll ask him to keep his eyes out for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    What's your grandson's name GLM as a mate of mine is the scorer for Leicestershire 2nd X1? I'll ask him to keep his eyes out for him.
    Hello LB the grandson's name is Nicholas Green, or Nick, or Greeny. Go in the book as N J Green.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)