+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a serious question for tacticians

a serious question for tacticians

I can't say I am an expert on football. I have an average understanding and put in my two pennorth every now and again but some of the finer points elude me.

There are a couple of geezers who sit near me who were semi-pro and done coaching badges etc and they know their onions. I wanted to ask them a couple of things after todays game but we got separated. So I thought I would ask you lot who are a knowledgeable bunch.

Why was there such a dramatic difference between the the two halfs of today's match?

What did Leeds do in the second half that they did not do in the first?

Or, what did Rotherham not do in the second half that they did in the first half?

We were so dominant first half and yet second half we got battered.

I don't understand.

Neither do I. Is it a confidence thing? We have to take the game to the opposition. In the last few m inutes today we could have got a point when we pressed them.Ipswich the other day hung on for their lives when we pressed them. We do need to take our chances though.

We got tired quicker than they did.

We had no quality on subs bench.

We brought on a league 1 forward (at best) to replace a right winger, however that sub who is right footed gave the ball away at the left back position and we conceded what turned out to be the winning goal.

Quote Originally Posted by the_idiotb_stardson View Post
    I can't say I am an expert on football. I have an average understanding and put in my two pennorth every now and again but some of the finer points elude me.

There are a couple of geezers who sit near me who were semi-pro and done coaching badges etc and they know their onions. I wanted to ask them a couple of things after todays game but we got separated. So I thought I would ask you lot who are a knowledgeable bunch.

Why was there such a dramatic difference between the the two halfs of today's match?

What did Leeds do in the second half that they did not do in the first?

Or, what did Rotherham not do in the second half that they did in the first half?

We were so dominant first half and yet second half we got battered.

I don't understand.
    That is a really interesting questin, but to be honest, it just doesn't happen to us. How many times at different levels have we been terrible first half but really good 2nd half? Over a lot of years of watching the millers , just like today, I've seen it times many both ways.
    It's not even exclusive to us, because on a regular basis of watching matches either with us or on telly, the amount of times a game changes at half time is staggwring.
    I know this doesn't really answer your question, but then again I don't really think there is a realistic answer to it as it happens at every level of football on a regular basis

Also why do most teams generally play better at home than away.
    There might be a tiredness, strange hotel bed issue sometimes but some trips aren't very far so that's not relevant in all instances
    It's still a rectangular piece of grass, with the same rules and players being watched by the general public week in week out.

You get momentum swings in just about every game in every sport. Teams have good periods (or sessions) and bad. Id say its more about emotional / phycological / mood changes than anything tactical.

I'd say it's about the maximum capacity a team has and the extent to which they play to it.

I would define 'capacity' as depth of talent and the ability to respond and adapt to the circumstances that prevail.

Leeds have more talent and more ability to respond and adapt and therefore their maximum capacity is greater than ours.

In the first half we played to our maximum capacity. Leeds didn't

In the second half they played at or close to their capacity and so did we.

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    I'd say it's about the maximum capacity a team has and the extent to which they play to it.

I would define 'capacity' as depth of talent and the ability to respond and adapt to the circumstances that prevail.

Leeds have more talent and more ability to respond and adapt and therefore their maximum capacity is greater than ours.

In the first half we played to our maximum capacity. Leeds didn't

In the second half they played at or close to their capacity and so did we.
    Very true. However, I thinks its about the trigger that swings a groups of players in or out of the maximum capacity zone.

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    Very true. However, I thinks its about the trigger that swings a groups of players in or out of the maximum capacity zone.
    As mentioned, can happen in most sports to differing extents, none more than basketball where one team can outscore another by 20pts in a 12 minute quarter and then in the next quarter, without a single change in personnel, the roles get reversed. If you can outscore them by 20pts in a quarter why can't you beat them by 80?

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    Also very true WCM. I would venture that the trigger has a lot do with the tactics and motivational skills employed by each teams manager and coaching staff before and during a game.

It's the decisions made about second guessing the opposition with the best combination of players and tactics before the match that are most likely to create maximum capacity - and to some extent what you say and how you say it to motivate the individuals and the team as a whole. If it's not working, then what is done to change players, tactics and motivation during the game and at half time.

It's huge generalisation, I know, and, to some extent stating the obvious. There's a whole host of other push and pull factors at play. The job of football managers and coaches is not an easy one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast