+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: That Day, We Beat Stockport County at Wembley .

Please can I agree too ---or is this a private appreciation society?

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    Please can I agree too ---or is this a private appreciation society?
    It's private, BOGOFF!

Accrington Pals me and Sub, we go back a long way, you'll not drive a wedge between us two.

Yes, I would like to apply for this self appreciation society as well please.

I remember many things about that day at Wembley.

Stockport had a big gormless lump up front. Every time he touched the ball our fans started a rendition of "The Adams Family" because he reminded us of Lurch.

Who was he?

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Accrington Pals me and Sub, we go back a long way, you'll not drive a wedge between us two.
    Amazingly ---it is 61 and a half years since we walked into that place of education ---and we are still learning!

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    Yes, I would like to apply for this self appreciation society as well please.

I remember many things about that day at Wembley.

Stockport had a big gormless lump up front. Every time he touched the ball our fans started a rendition of "The Adams Family" because he reminded us of Lurch.

Who was he?
    Without doubt that had to be the 6ft 7ins tall Kevin Francis who scored a lot of goals for Stockport but did not really make much of a mark anywhere else.

Aye, thanks Super.

Kevin Francis it was.

Quote Originally Posted by bfcjon View Post
    ...Had we have lost,..We Could be in Stockport Countys shoes Now!!..(
    I recall going there after already half-cut from an all night party in Reading - jeez I was sick by the following day!
    My somewhat clouded recollection of the match was of Stockport committing Hari-Kari rather than we being good; it was a great day out, but I don't believe it had any long term ramifications. As I recall we were a long way last of the four play-off teams on points, had been soundly beaten once, (perhaps twice?) by Stockport during that season and were certainly not ready/good enough for promotion, hence our subsequent relegation, despite spending more than we could afford and hence our struggling the following year(s) too. Winning probably actually set us back a few years and we'd have done better coming up a season or so later and being able to hold our own; perhaps where we are now but with Jimmy Mullen still at the helm?

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    Without doubt that had to be the 6ft 7ins tall Kevin Francis who scored a lot of goals for Stockport but did not really make much of a mark anywhere else.
    Don't know if my memory is playing tricks but I have this idea that we were interested in signing him once, not sure if this was before or after Wembley. I can also remember feeling a bit sorry for him after the game, he was sporting enough to applaud our fans as he was walking off, and all he got for his trouble was a barrage of abuse.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)