+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Progress Update

Progress Update

I think it's about time for a look at the progress of the team. We've won 5 out of the last 7 but we could easily come down with a bump. We'd been on a bit of an early run last year when Carlisle came and spoiled the show.
    So....all the players are showing. Charlie and Ainley have stepped up although still with occasional disappearances. The best part of recent events has been the return of Green and Nolan, who have both steadied the ship. I feel Perry is playing better than ever. Porter is leading the line well. I believe Harry is having a little bit of a lull by his standards and Bowery is close to hitting the rocks.
    George is doing well but occasionally gets cocky (no change there) and Garratt is holding his own but not hitting the heights of his earlier career.
    The big question is about the management. Are we seeing signs of them beginning to gain sufficient experience to a decent job? It is clear that the team have learnt to come back from adversity. The team can play attractively AND grind a result.
    The big fear now is whether this team is going to be broken up in the next 6 months. Do we have any outstanding academy prospects?
    Any comments or reflections on this?

I think the manager and his sidekick deserve great credit for sticking with the younger lads while the senior pros have been out injured. The general level of performance of each and every one of them has been higher over the past 10 matches than the first 10, which has helped disguise Bowery’s slight decline of late; however, were it not for him we wouldn’t be where we are.

I’ve never been Porter’s biggest fan but I have to say that the slight change of formation to accommodate him has worked a treat, and may have something to do with Bowery’s slight downturn. However, like all 11 selected, he never stops giving of his best. I’m not too concerned when the younger players have off days as they’re still learning their trade, having said that those off days are fewer these days!

Not sure I agree about the keeper. I don’t think he’s declined, he just hasn’t fulfilled the promise he showed as an 18 year old by getting any better. Still a decent L2 keeper for me, although he is likely to come under greater pressure from Jaaskalinen in a year or twos time than he has from Trigger. For me the difference has been Nolan more than Green who, after all, has missed as many of the wins as played in them. He isn’t spectacular and doesn’t have great pace, but he reads the game and is solid with very few mistakes. He and George look a good pairing as Ray has more pace and height and can pass OK. He still likes a trick (lovely backheeled pass on Saturday) and nobody is more committed to winning for the Alex - an unlikely leader but I think he’s grown into a good one.

As for the rest of the season. Well, we can ignore the relegation battle and aim for the Top 7. No doubt on our day we are good enough and the consistency is coming. To be honest I’m not that worried if we don’t quite make it, but I can say that, thus far, it’s been an enjoyable season with good performances and it’s great to see some of our lads fulfilling their potential. Long may it continue and COYRs.

How satisfying to read the positive posts on this board at the moment, all that academy negativity was grinding me down. Lets hope our run of form continues. I suppose when we start to lose a couple of matches the desponds will have there day in the sun again, but until then keep playing as you are lads. Cream will always come to the top. COYRS

Quote Originally Posted by CroutonRouge View Post
    How satisfying to read the positive posts on this board at the moment, all that academy negativity was grinding me down. Lets hope our run of form continues. I suppose when we start to lose a couple of matches the desponds will have there day in the sun again, but until then keep playing as you are lads. Cream will always come to the top. COYRS
    We were looking so close to being good before Christmas, dominating games but not winning them. A bit of confidence is having a world of difference.

For me the most encouraging bits have been:

Perry is looking a top level full back, solid defending and dangerous going forward.
    Jones recapturing his form (even though this injury has been a pain)
    Ray is looking assured
    Nolan is looking confident at the back
    Kirk is getting consistent and is adding more goals to his game
    Ainley has done well in that midfield role, he's started to influence games a lot more