+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Corners

Corners

Every time we give away a corner I always think here comes a goal. We bring 10 or eleven players back and the opposition throw about 9 forward. If by some miracle we do clear it there is no outlet and the ball comes straight back.
    What if we left 3 players with pace up field this would mean they would have to leave players back to mark them.
    The penalty area would be less crowded because we seem to get in each other's way and don't mark anybody.
    The thought of someone like Enzio one one one with their defender is quite exciting.
    What are your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    Every time we give away a corner I always think here comes a goal. We bring 10 or eleven players back and the opposition throw about 9 forward. If by some miracle we do clear it there is no outlet and the ball comes straight back.
    What if we left 3 players with pace up field this would mean they would have to leave players back to mark them.
    The penalty area would be less crowded because we seem to get in each other's way and don't mark anybody.
    The thought of someone like Enzio one one one with their defender is quite exciting.
    What are your thoughts?
    Warnock with Bartlett, used to leave him on the halfway line & teams would leave 2 players marking him due to his pace.
    If you have pace teams are weary of you

Quote Originally Posted by irishpete View Post
    Warnock with Bartlett, used to leave him on the halfway line & teams would leave 2 players marking him due to his pace.
    If you have pace teams are weary of you
    I agree Irish..

Quote Originally Posted by The-Mac pie View Post
    I agree Irish..
    Too right

Enzio is actually quite tall and our team lacks height so he's not the player I'd use to counter but we often have shorter players back in the box doing nothing so I'd use one of them. The issue with us defending corners is the way we set up with some players defending zonally and some going man to man and the players that are zonal are in the wrong places to actually do anything, we'd be better off having one of them on the post than marking the space at the front post and not standing in the right position.

Quote Originally Posted by DelroyFacey22 View Post
    Enzio is actually quite tall and our team lacks height so he's not the player I'd use to counter but we often have shorter players back in the box doing nothing so I'd use one of them. The issue with us defending corners is the way we set up with some players defending zonally and some going man to man and the players that are zonal are in the wrong places to actually do anything, we'd be better off having one of them on the post than marking the space at the front post and not standing in the right position.
    Being tall helps but you have to be aware and if you can't defend (Enzio) or can't jump (Duffy) it is not much good.
    Enzio is our most potent attacker with pace and skill, personally I wouldn't want him anywhere near the box.
    But it is all about opinions.

Hope Ardley reads this thread

Been saying this all season (well pointed out 1961) as we seem to play Vaughan every week why not shove him up front for the corners, as he does s*d all else all match.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    Being tall helps but you have to be aware and if you can't defend (Enzio) or can't jump (Duffy) it is not much good.
    Enzio is our most potent attacker with pace and skill, personally I wouldn't want him anywhere near the box.
    But it is all about opinions.
    He doesn't need to be able to defend, he just needs to give us a better chance of winning the first ball at a corner, something he is much more likely to do than a lot of the other players in our team due to his height advantage when compared to others.