Get your very own personalised Stand Free Forum gifts!
Page 3 of 90 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 1788

Thread: The Summer Transfer Window

  1. #41
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    607
    Quote Originally Posted by RED_JOHN View Post
    Unless we change our manager we will get more of the same with whatever players we sign in the summer. Defensive players doing attacking work and sh!tebag tactics.
    We had 51%possession and 12 shots v 7 against newco last night. How can you describe that as sh!tebag tactics?

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    422
    McKenna HAS lost form.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    12,491
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridieeater View Post
    We had 51%possession and 12 shots v 7 against newco last night. How can you describe that as sh!tebag tactics?
    I’d say the starting X1 & the way we let SEVCO dominate (maybe an exaggeration) the first half was partly down to DM’s set up?
    It was only after we were 3-1 down we went for it.
    And after Harvey Price was sent off, SEVCO we’re happy to sit in.

    In short, DM shouldn’t have d1cked about with the formation & team.

    For once, have a go at them right from the start.

    Die trying?

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,161
    Quote Originally Posted by rico94 View Post
    The lack of ambition from the board is the main one.

    The cheeks strengthened again last month and we are being told we should be pleased because we managed to keep our key players.

    Obviously we can’t compete with their budgets but we aren’t even looking like we are making an effort.

    We might manage to finish above the Huns again this season if we are lucky but it really is just putting off the inevitable.The cheeks will keep getting stronger and we will keep filling our squad with loan players.
    I have said this before; it would be quite easy for AFC to spunk a lot of extra cash for no significant improvement in the team. There are some total fantasists on here who think that the reason we didn't win the league when Deila was managing Celtic is that we didn't sign a couple of players in the winter transfer window. We all want the club to show some ambition but you can't say that the board hasn't backed McInnes in signing the likes of McLean, May and GMS over the years. Players don't grow on trees and the truth is that we sometimes have to rely on loans because there simply isn't much out there within our budget that will improve our current squad. Occasionally we'll unearth a gem who has fallen out of favour elsewhere or a sign a promising youngster but if we are trying to sign a quality player it's likely that we'll have competition and have to work hard for his signature.

    The board could hand McInnes £1M to spend on transfers and it wouldn't significantly increase or improve the pool of players available to us. Just look at the current Rangers team (or even Celtic for that matter) for how little you get for a significant increase on our budget.

    We have fared much better this season than most of the gloom merchants on here were predicting early on and McInnes the team gets very little credit for that. All the talk of how Hearts and Hibs had a much better transfer window than us has died down now, funnily enough. For some an assessment of our performance begins and ends with matches against Celtic and Rangers.

    I'm not happy with everything. We all want to see improvement and are frustrated when there is a lack of progress or when we fail to win a key game. But on balance I don't think that the club is doing badly whereas if you took most of the stuff on here at face value you would be forgiven for thinking we're in a perpetual state of mismanagement and crisis.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,913
    Quote Originally Posted by Feck_the_Huns View Post
    As well as out of contract players and loans coming to an end, some under contract players comeing to the end of their usefullness (McGinn/Logan)
    And Considine.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,913
    Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    I have said this before; it would be quite easy for AFC to spunk a lot of extra cash for no significant improvement in the team. There are some total fantasists on here who think that the reason we didn't win the league when Deila was managing Celtic is that we didn't sign a couple of players in the winter transfer window. We all want the club to show some ambition but you can't say that the board hasn't backed McInnes in signing the likes of McLean, May and GMS over the years. Players don't grow on trees and the truth is that we sometimes have to rely on loans because there simply isn't much out there within our budget that will improve our current squad. Occasionally we'll unearth a gem who has fallen out of favour elsewhere or a sign a promising youngster but if we are trying to sign a quality player it's likely that we'll have competition and have to work hard for his signature.

    The board could hand McInnes £1M to spend on transfers and it wouldn't significantly increase or improve the pool of players available to us. Just look at the current Rangers team (or even Celtic for that matter) for how little you get for a significant increase on our budget.

    We have fared much better this season than most of the gloom merchants on here were predicting early on and McInnes the team gets very little credit for that. All the talk of how Hearts and Hibs had a much better transfer window than us has died down now, funnily enough. For some an assessment of our performance begins and ends with matches against Celtic and Rangers.

    I'm not happy with everything. We all want to see improvement and are frustrated when there is a lack of progress or when we fail to win a key game. But on balance I don't think that the club is doing badly whereas if you took most of the stuff on here at face value you would be forgiven for thinking we're in a perpetual state of mismanagement and crisis.
    As you say it depends what you want.

    If you want us to be competing with the cheeks like a lot of people on here do then more money will have to be spent,but like some one said it doesn’t guarantee success so it’s a gamble.

    If you are happy enough for us to compete with the other clubs for 3rd place then what we are doing might be enough.

    Personally I think we need to be doing a bit more either way,we are losing key players every season now and are not really replacing them properly. If we lose GMS,Shinnie and McKenna this summer then they will have to be replaced with quality signings,not quick fix loan players or English lower league players no one has ever heard of.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,164
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridieeater View Post
    We had 51%possession and 12 shots v 7 against newco last night. How can you describe that as sh!tebag tactics?
    We were 1-3 down at half time thanks to McInnes and his sh!tebag tactics. Dress it up anyway you want, at the end of the day he lost us the match from the start of game by being so negative.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,161
    Quote Originally Posted by rico94 View Post
    As you say it depends what you want.

    If you want us to be competing with the cheeks like a lot of people on here do then more money will have to be spent,but like some one said it doesn’t guarantee success so it’s a gamble.

    If you are happy enough for us to compete with the other clubs for 3rd place then what we are doing might be enough.

    Personally I think we need to be doing a bit more either way,we are losing key players every season now and are not really replacing them properly. If we lose GMS,Shinnie and McKenna this summer then they will have to be replaced with quality signings,not quick fix loan players or English lower league players no one has ever heard of.
    The reality is that we need to take a long term view. We’re not going to finish above the h*ns every season given the financial disparity. Sometimes we might need to ‘settle’ for third or even lower if we’re going through a transitional period. But the naysayers have been predicting a downturn for a while now and it hasn’t really materialised. The important thing is that we don’t end up back where we were as perennial strugglers. Every club goes through cycles. It might not be the kind of talk that inflames the passions but shallower troughs are important; not because we should settle for mediocrity but because for a club like AFC, consistency over the long term gives us a much better chance of enjoying spells of real success.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    23,669
    I agree with the bit about ensuring that the troph doesn’t turn into the period we endured between 97 and 2003. Trophs shouldn’t really see us finish below sixth.

    For me, I’m realistic to know theLeague Championship is out with our reach unless a ‘perfect storm’ happens where the cheeks implode similar to what happened in England the season Leicester won.

    I’d love us to win the Scottish Cup but the closer we get to the Final and Celtic are still in the comp, it’s harder to catch them on an ‘off day’

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,164
    No word from Joe Shaughnessy about his contract offer....my money is on he stays at St.Johnstone.

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    23,669
    Quote Originally Posted by afc1903mad View Post
    We do have Gleeson, but I'm not counting him yet as a first team player due to his fleeting usage.
    I wouldn’t count him as he is absolutely mince. Did we honestly pey £200k for him?

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,161
    Quote Originally Posted by xtrmntr75 View Post
    I wouldn’t count him as he is absolutely mince. Did we honestly pey £200k for him?
    He was a free transfer. You are thinking of Forrester.

    Gleeson is probably a decent player but clearly not fit when he signed. I just don’t think he’s a player we need.

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    5,643
    Quote Originally Posted by xtrmntr75 View Post
    I wouldn’t count him as he is absolutely mince. Did we honestly pey £200k for him?
    You been on holiday min.
    That comment was from three weeks ago.

    I think there is a decent player in Gleeson from the fleeting views weve had of him.
    He's not a dynamic, creative player, but can do a decent role recirculating the ball.
    Not as good as the rat in that regards though, but decent enough as a back up

    P.S. He was a free transfer

  14. #54
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,636
    Player expected to be signed this week according to Mcinnes press conference

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    803
    Apparently we are looking to sign scott pitman,midfielder from livi,DM tried to sign him in january but wouldnt pay the 175K livi wanted

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    9,529
    Quote Originally Posted by nice1simmy View Post
    Apparently we are looking to sign scott pitman,midfielder from livi,DM tried to sign him in january but wouldnt pay the 175K livi wanted
    Stories in the sun and daily Record. Thought they always print a lot of pish?

    No idea what he's like to be honest, never registered but oddly enough he played for my mates old team.

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    803
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1983 View Post
    Stories in the sun and daily Record. Thought they always print a lot of pish?

    No idea what he's like to be honest, never registered but oddly enough he played for my mates old team.
    If its in both papers id say there's truth in it,like you i've no idea what he's like,he doesnt seem to have stuck out anytime i've watched livi and certainly never at the weekend

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,164
    Must be fake news. Scott Pittman ffs!

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,649
    Quote Originally Posted by RED_JOHN View Post
    Must be fake news. Scott Pittman ffs!
    Sounds like the next Greg Tansey

  20. #60
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Don_Corleone View Post
    Sounds like the next Greg Tansey
    Sounds like he could be worse than the next Greg Tansey,
    If thats the sort of sh1t our illustrious leader comes up with after working two windows in advance then we really should just pack it all in.
    Here's a good question..... who do you think we will "almost sign" in the up and coming summer transfer window?

    SF

Page 3 of 90 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •