+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: This is why we should scrap 'the plan'

This is why we should scrap 'the plan'

Potts was good for 1/2 a season. Mawson was good for 1/2 a season. Yiadom was good for one season.

Before 'the plan'...……

Hassell 9-10 brilliant seasons. Devaney 6-7 great seasons. Foster, Steele the list goes on. This is what we should strive for in every signing.

Stuff the profits that never get us anywhere. Stuff developing players for other clubs. Stuff setting out to be a stepping stone.

Whatever we do we're a top League 1 side and a lower Championship one. But lets give the fans some players to be proud of for years and years. Lads who go out give 100% and have a bit of passion.

That's all we need.

Quote Originally Posted by OnGoingCloud1887 View Post
    Potts was good for 1/2 a season. Mawson was good for 1/2 a season. Yiadom was good for one season.

Before 'the plan'...……

Hassell 9-10 brilliant seasons. Devaney 6-7 great seasons. Foster, Steele the list goes on. This is what we should strive for in every signing.

Stuff the profits that never get us anywhere. Stuff developing players for other clubs. Stuff setting out to be a stepping stone.

Whatever we do we're a top League 1 side and a lower Championship one. But lets give the fans some players to be proud of for years and years. Lads who go out give 100% and have a bit of passion.

That's all we need.
    The problem with that whilst I agree with your sentiment is that will only happen with a change of ownership .

This is the model that aroused their interest and it's unlikely they will move away from it whilst ever the club keeps on making profits on players .

The fans don't come in to it mate , OGC Nice are your reference .

The club is now the equivalent of Footballersrus with it's main core business to retail professional footballers .

Quote Originally Posted by OnGoingCloud1887 View Post

Before 'the plan'...……

That's all we need.
    That didn’t get us anywhere either and football has changed so much now with the have’s and have nots with the parachute payments.
    Plus footballers in general don’t hang about anywhere long not just us

Sometimes you've got to accept that certain players we sign will go on to bigger things and we can't provide a big enough stage. Whilst i agree Bobby Hassle, Disco and Foster were great servants to the club, they were never really gonna go on to owt bigger with all due respect.

When i see the likes of Mawson getting in the England squad and regular top flight football, Hourihane doing decent at villa, Stones at the very top I think to myself that you simply can't hold em back despite how much we'd love to keep them here. If we can find players of such ilk and help nurture them then we should be pleased they fulfilled their potential. Seeing John Stones score in the world cup nearly brought a tear to my eye. Barnsley lad done good.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Sometimes you've got to accept that certain players we sign will go on to bigger things and we can't provide a big enough stage. Whilst i agree Bobby Hassle, Disco and Foster were great servants to the club, they were never really gonna go on to owt bigger with all due respect.

When i see the likes of Mawson getting in the England squad and regular top flight football, Hourihane doing decent at villa, Stones at the very top I think to myself that you simply can't hold em back despite how much we'd love to keep them here. If we can find players of such ilk and help nurture them then we should be pleased they fulfilled their potential. Seeing John Stones score in the world cup nearly brought a tear to my eye. Barnsley lad done good.
    Not our own heroes.
    Just like Hammill... when he says he “WANTS TO SCORE” on Saturday.
    Heroes? When they are exceptional. Not average Like Mawson, Holgate. Hammil,
    I’ll tell you hero...
    Watch Barry Murphy walk out, ( with dodgy Legs, and MASSIVE PRIDE) every home game with the sponsors.
    Consent to Barnsley, 700+ games. Still here! And proud of it too.
    We honoured Norman too late. Let’s hope Barry Murphy won’t be.

Gov.co.uk Honours.

Quote Originally Posted by Jules88 View Post
    Not our own heroes.
    Just like Hammill... when he says he “WANTS TO SCORE” on Saturday.
    Heroes? When they are exceptional. Not average Like Mawson, Holgate. Hammil,
    I’ll tell you hero...
    Watch Barry Murphy walk out, ( with dodgy Legs, and MASSIVE PRIDE) every home game with the sponsors.
    Consent to Barnsley, 700+ games. Still here! And proud of it too.
    We honoured Norman too late. Let’s hope Barry Murphy won’t be.

Gov.co.uk Honours.

I don't have the players that I mentioned down as heroes Jules, i was just saying that sometimes they're destined for bigger things. Players like Redders are heroes to me because he's the greatest I've seen in my 30years . Too young for Glavin and Barry Murphy unfortunately but they get the utmost respect, guz wi art sayin.

I see Murphy regular in town and he always says hello and asks how I'm getting on and give his views on the club a true gentleman not like these back to front baseball cap footballers who don't even give an autograph or even look at you a sign of the times I guess