+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Morton

Quote Originally Posted by Arabdownsouth View Post
    Are you forgetting that we have just shelled out transfer fees for 3 of the new signings? Not to mention the amount spent getting rid of some of that dross.Then there's the money spent totally restructuring the set up, you'd have to be daft to think that Robbie hasn't got it much much easier than his predecessors.
    Not really mckinnon and the clown got a summer to build their own squads. He has been given backing without lumbering with dross he wants rid off. Imagine we gave the clown that money!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shedboy1971 View Post
    Not really mckinnon and the clown got a summer to build their own squads. He has been given backing without lumbering with dross he wants rid off. Imagine we gave the clown that money!!
    Our success will be mostly dependent on the quality of the players we sign. That's pretty much how football works these days. Robbie is fishing in a better pond with a bigger net, that's really the only point I'm making. Not in anyway saying that I'd rather have the other two back, but we are still playing the same formation we have for the last few seasons, Saturday showed it works better with better players.

Are you forgetting that we have just shelled out transfer fees for 3 of the new signings? Not to mention the amount spent getting rid of some of that dross.Then there's the money spent totally restructuring the set up, you'd have to be daft to think that Robbie hasn't got it much much easier than his predecessors.
    I’ve no idea what transfer fees came to. The accounts will tell us in time wether we shelled out or not.

The money spent getting rid of dross and youth set up etc doesn’t come into my point. It’s obvious the overall level of investment is much higher now but I’m not convinced that what Neilson has spent on his 11 players is a great deal higher than what previous 2 had to play with. Imagine once we trim the fat of inherited players the player wage to turnover ratio will remain at a similar level to what it’s been in previous seasons. Not a sustainable model otherwise.

I also don’t believe Neilson’s job to be easier at all. In last 2 summers McKinnon and Laszlo had blank canvases and biggest budget in league to assemble their squads. I’m sure Neilson would’ve loved opportunity to be able to build his own 20 man squad when the pool of available players was much higher and have 36 games to win league.

I find it hard to believe we would have had the budget to sign Sow and Pawlett to contracts for example.

I reckon before Ogren they would simply have been out of our reach.

Quote Originally Posted by PortugueseFrank View Post
    I find it hard to believe we would have had the budget to sign Sow and Pawlett to contracts for example.

I reckon before Ogren they would simply have been out of our reach.
    Without knowing the figures I'd have to agree with this Frank. I think we have really changed it up here.

You both could right or it might be a simple case of using the money more wisely and instead of signing 4-5 squad players on £1k per week, signing 2 better players on £2-£2.5k a week.

One thing we can be sure is neither player would be near Tannadice if McKinnon or Laszlo was the manager.

Our success will be mostly dependent on the quality of the players we sign. That's pretty much how football works these days. Robbie is fishing in a better pond with a bigger net, that's really the only point I'm making. Not in anyway saying that I'd rather have the other two back, but we are still playing the same formation we have for the last few seasons, Saturday showed it works better with better players.
    Agree on system and players

Quote Originally Posted by Daly9 View Post
    You both could right or it might be a simple case of using the money more wisely and instead of signing 4-5 squad players on £1k per week, signing 2 better players on £2-£2.5k a week.

One thing we can be sure is neither player would be near Tannadice if McKinnon or Laszlo was the manager.
    Agree with this as well. Been saying for quite a while now that we could work with fewer players but much better quality. Hopefully that's what we're seeing now

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    Agree with this as well. Been saying for quite a while now that we could work with fewer players but much better quality. Hopefully that's what we're seeing now
    It's clearly NOT this that is happening at the moment. The new owner is spending big to get us promoted all areas and there is no way it's sustainable at our level without him funding it.
    Last edited by TerryTheTerror; 05-02-2019 at 06:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    It's clearly NOT this that is happening at the moment. The new owner is spending big to get us promoted all areas and there is no way it's sustainable at our level without him funding it.
    My thoughts are that he was convinced we are flogging a dead horse just now so invest now to reap later. I think this is positive as its not just expensive loan deals or short term contracts but good quality and there is a clear structure developing ground up. I dont think he is in this for short term. Get us up, get us in top 6, maybe get some bids and younger players through. The most intriguing aspect os Brian Grants new role to develop 18-23 years olds. Thats where money can be made.

Of course he is funding it and the risk we all see is if in 2 years we arent up when will he get fed up? We will be up by then with RN though in my view. I actually think we are going up this season if we can limit injuries.

You know im looking at this positively. He has been a saviour so far. Yes that can all turn sour but we shouldnt live our lives fearing the future either.

SRYB

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)