+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cynical Cowley brothers

Cynical Cowley brothers

Is it just me?

Whilst rightly heralded for all they've done at Lincoln and the intelligence they portray when interviewed, these two are the most cynical managers I've seen at Meadow Lane in many a year.
    Last season They encouraged their players to go down and stay down on several occasions, immediately gathering the remaining players in for instructions. Last year as yesterday, they were a persistent tag team, taking it in turns to get in the 4th officials ear from the first whistle. The amount of time they stepped outside the technical area was ridiculous. Even after being booked Nicky Cowley was on the touchline when they took a throw in.

Quote Originally Posted by LesBradd4England View Post
    Is it just me?

Whilst rightly heralded for all they've done at Lincoln and the intelligence they portray when interviewed, these two are the most cynical managers I've seen at Meadow Lane in many a year.
    Last season They encouraged their players to go down and stay down on several occasions, immediately gathering the remaining players in for instructions. Last year as yesterday, they were a persistent tag team, taking it in turns to get in the 4th officials ear from the first whistle. The amount of time they stepped outside the technical area was ridiculous. Even after being booked Nicky Cowley was on the touchline when they took a throw in.
    Yes you're absolutely correct.

Is it just me?

They certainly are cynical, as are their players. Moaning at the ref constantly throughout the game and going down at the slightest contact. Luckily, we showed an equal amount of 'chithousery', did you see Popeye Doyle digging at the pen spot before Lincoln took their pen? I also think Toots and O'Connor had words whilst O'Connor was taking a corner and Toots was warming up. 'Chithousery' seems to be the new buzz word @ Tw@tter and Face4k.

We sit in front of the Balcony in the Pavis Members Block, where it is said we fall asleep & snore & drink from flasks etc.

Some wit sat close by christened them Jedward and when you watch them performing in the Technical area its a good fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridg4d_Pie_ View Post
    We sit in front of the Balcony in the Pavis Members Block, where it is said we fall asleep & snore & drink from flasks etc.

Some wit sat close by christened them Jedward and when you watch them performing in the Technical area its a good fit.
    Love it

Charlie Slater pointed out in the commentary the difference between their reputations within football circles and in public. He said something along the lines of them being well thought of by the public, but disliked within football. Matlock Pie is a ref, and they are renowned - not in a good way - in the refereeing world.

Quote Originally Posted by cher1 View Post
    Charlie Slater pointed out in the commentary the difference between their reputations within football circles and in public. He said something along the lines of them being well thought of by the public, but disliked within football. Matlock Pie is a ref, and they are renowned - not in a good way - in the refereeing world.
    Not surprised, total '****housery' in the technical area, well sometimes in it anyway.

The Cowley brothers are cynical, but so was Neil Warnock and look how many games he wins by having a little bit of an edge and getting his teams to sneak every little advantage they can. It's often said that games at this level are decided by fine margins, so it's worth trying anything that edges you over the line and bends the rules without breaking them. I thought the same over the recent fuss about Bielsa at Leeds.

As someone's just said about Doyle in another thread, you hate these cynical, savvy types if you're a fan of the opposing team, but you love them if they're managing or playing for you. Good luck to them, it's a hard, professional sport where you don't take prisoners and their approach obviously works over 46 games. We shouldn't moan about it, we should learn from it.

Is it just me?

It's quite simple really...refs just need to clamp down on their tactics

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    The Cowley brothers are cynical, but so was Neil Warnock and look how many games he wins by having a little bit of an edge and getting his teams to sneak every little advantage they can. It's often said that games at this level are decided by fine margins, so it's worth trying anything that edges you over the line and bends the rules without breaking them. I thought the same over the recent fuss about Bielsa at Leeds.

As someone's just said about Doyle in another thread, you hate these cynical, savvy types if you're a fan of the opposing team, but you love them if they're managing or playing for you. Good luck to them, it's a hard, professional sport where you don't take prisoners and their approach obviously works over 46 games. We shouldn't moan about it, we should learn from it.
    Correct. The biggest difference I saw in our team yesterday was that we played like 11 men rather than 11 fannies. Lincoln play like that every week.

Unless you wouldn’t have them at Notts as our management team, it’s a bit difficult to criticise.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast