+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: One for the money men.

One for the money men.

A number of people who usually talk sense seem to be suggesting that we’re ‘broke’.
    Certainly our reluctance to bring in players to strengthen in positions we all know we need would suggest there are ‘money worries’.
    On the other hand the recent acquisitions of Cole and King and the arrival last summer of Lampard, Morris and their subsequent six or seven signings would indicate that we’re not that impoverished and remain ambitious.
    So, for those who understand such things, what really is the financial situation and is there a remedy?
    Will the departure or likely departures of highly paid ‘misfits’ like Butterfield, Martin, Ledley, Thorne and possibly Bryson go a long way to resolving the problem or will we still be in the financial mire next summer?
    Assuming, as looks increasingly likely, we don’t reach the promised land of milk and honey (or weekly humiliation depending on your take) what happens next?
    Without having any sort of a go at Mel Morris, who has undoubtedly made mistakes but who I remain convinced has the club’s best interests at heart, is the only viable way forward for him to now start looking for alternative investment from those with deeper pockets or is the problem unsolvable?

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    A number of people who usually talk sense seem to be suggesting that we’re ‘broke’.
    Certainly our reluctance to bring in players to strengthen in positions we all know we need would suggest there are ‘money worries’.
    On the other hand the recent acquisitions of Cole and King and the arrival last summer of Lampard, Morris and their subsequent six or seven signings would indicate that we’re not that impoverished and remain ambitious.
    So, for those who understand such things, what really is the financial situation and is there a remedy?
    Will the departure or likely departures of highly paid ‘misfits’ like Butterfield, Martin, Ledley, Thorne and possibly Bryson go a long way to resolving the problem or will we still be in the financial mire next summer?
    Assuming, as looks increasingly likely, we don’t reach the promised land of milk and honey (or weekly humiliation depending on your take) what happens next?
    Without having any sort of a go at Mel Morris, who has undoubtedly made mistakes but who I remain convinced has the club’s best interests at heart, is the only viable way forward for him to now start looking for alternative investment from those with deeper pockets or is the problem unsolvable?
    RA I'm notITK and having problems juggling my pocket money so definitely not a financial expert But from what I can gather we were warned by the FL last summer we sailing very close on ffp hence the sake of Vydra and the snake fleeing So we've been watching the pennies our books have to be FL audited by March 31st 2019 Whether the players leaving in the summer will free anything up I wouldn't it will we must still owe a lot to other clubs in payments MM has made no secret he's looking for investors I would have thought with FL will be looking at certain financial assurances or he maybe considering his future Don't forget Thorne Anya and Martin still have 18mts left on their contracts Can't imagine for one minute Hull will sign Martin Tough days ahead but we stil have some good players

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    RA I'm notITK and having problems juggling my pocket money so definitely not a financial expert But from what I can gather we were warned by the FL last summer we sailing very close on ffp hence the sake of Vydra and the snake fleeing So we've been watching the pennies our books have to be FL audited by March 31st 2019 Whether the players leaving in the summer will free anything up I wouldn't it will we must still owe a lot to other clubs in payments MM has made no secret he's looking for investors I would have thought with FL will be looking at certain financial assurances or he maybe considering his future Don't forget Thorne Anya and Martin still have 18mts left on their contracts Can't imagine for one minute Hull will sign Martin Tough days ahead but we stil have some good players
    You’re more itk than me but it doesn’t sound good does it? Do well to make the playoffs this season and then it becomes a bit of a lottery, but assuming we don’t go up I’m not sure where we go from here.
    Didn’t realise that about Martin and I don’t understand the Anya situation...just seems barking mad to me.
    I respect Mel Morris and feel he’s full of good intentions as far as DCFC are concerned. There’s a lot about the club that must be very attractive to would be owners - ground, training facilities, fan base, history etc - but I do feel increasingly concerned.
    Think I’ve ‘caught’ your pessimism...or is it just realism?
    Last edited by ramAnag; 03-02-2019 at 12:59 PM.

[QUOTE=ramAnag;39137877]You’re more itk than me but it doesn’t sound good does it? Do well to make the playoffs this season and then it becomes a bit of a lottery, but assuming we don’t go up I’m not sure where we go from here.
    Didn’t realise that about Martin and I don’t understand the Anya situation...just seems barking mad to me.
    I respect Mel Morris and feel he’s full of good intentions as far as DCFC are concerned. There’s a lot about the club that must be very attractive to would be owners - ground, training facilities, fan base, history etc - but I do feel increasingly concerned.
    Think I’ve ‘caught’ your pessimism...or is it just realism?[/Q
    RA it's just realism I think we all know who is to blame on the financial side and it wasn't MM As for promotion forget it squad not good enough imo Yes the Anya situation is beyond a joke now Martin can come back in the summer and pick up another £1million so he won't be pushing to leave Thorne will come back from Luton probably not having played so we will be non the wiser about him Curtis Davies looks like his future is in punditary

The way I see it, once this season is over our financial position should become less critical. As we are judged on a 3 year rolling assessment, we should lose the disastrous figures of the 15/16 season and coupled with this we should also lose a number of the financial obligations of that season (ie Butterfield and Johnson's wages and transfer fees which probably amount to at least £7M per season). In addition there will be other savings which should enable us to compete in the transfer market once more.

Regards promotion Mista, I agree that the squad shouldn't be good enough, but play offs are definitely possible and this team have proved what is possible in one off cup games against 'superior' opposition.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    The way I see it, once this season is over our financial position should become less critical. As we are judged on a 3 year rolling assessment, we should lose the disastrous figures of the 15/16 season and coupled with this we should also lose a number of the financial obligations of that season (ie Butterfield and Johnson's wages and transfer fees which probably amount to at least £7M per season). In addition there will be other savings which should enable us to compete in the transfer market once more.

Regards promotion Mista, I agree that the squad shouldn't be good enough, but play offs are definitely possible and this team have proved what is possible in one off cup games against 'superior' opposition.
    Yes Ram i would think you have probably got somewhere near what might happen Pretty sure non of the out of contract played will. be with us next season maybe Huddleston As for playoffs can't see our squad being good enough You see what happens without Marriott struggled at Acrington and Preston you can't keep relying on worldies from Wilson the lads getting seriously marked now Sincerely hope I'm wrong would love another Wembley trip

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post

Well, we might disagree about politics (unless you’ve seen sense in your absence ) but that’s the most optimistic view of DCFC I’ve heard for a while so thanks...cheered me up!

Bryson, Butterfield, Johnson, Olsson, Nugent, Pearce and Roos all out of contract at the end of this season.
    Definitely be looking to give Roos a new contract and still don’t understand Pearce being allowed out on loan but I can’t see any of the others being retained which, as Ram59 suggests, should release a hell of a lot of money though presumably provide nothing in the way of incoming fees.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)