+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If yesterday is what a Neal Ardley team looks like...

If yesterday is what a Neal Ardley team looks like...

... then count me in, because they showed a hell of a lot more energy, aggression and guile than we saw from the team left by Kevin Nolan. Nolan made a great start but then seemed to 'unbuild' a team, whereas Ardley has had a rough start but now seems to be building one.

It's a hell of an ask for them to turn this around and avoid relegation, but at least the 'new' team - which of course is still only partly his - looks like they'll give it a go rather than meekly surrender like we did against Macclesfield and Cambridge (and various other teams).

I've said all along that we can't judge Ardley and Cox on their early results because they've been left with a very poor value squad and suffered injuries to the better players too, but now we're starting to see the type of player this manager wants to recruit, and on the evidence so far they're better choices than we've seen for a while.

If I've got a doubt, it was about Dennis leaving, but it sounds as if he wanted away if he wasn't guaranteed a first team place, which no manager should ever promise. I've not got much time for most of our overpaid, underperforming players this season, but I do make an exception - to a degree - for Dennis. When you look at his goal record it's very good, including in this league, and we maybe need to look at ourselves and ask why we're not getting the best out of him. A fit and firing Kristian Dennis would have been a big asset, but we'll have to hope that Stead, Mackail-Smith, Hemmings, Boldewijn and Gomis will be potent enough to take advantage now that the team behind them looks more solid and more capable of creating chances.

It's the hope that kills ya:

Name:  Capture3.jpg
Views: 1690
Size:  21.0 KB

Quite!

That was more or less the line from John Cleese's film Clockwise:

"It isn't the despair. I can stand the despair. It's the hope!"

Put it this way, if we continue to put in performances like yesterday but doesn't make it, then I still want to see this manager retained and allowed to continue putting a new side together.
    Last edited by jackal2; 03-02-2019 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post

She has a good teacher then sitting down.Fat Sam

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Quite!

Put it this way, if we continue to put in performances like yesterday but doesn't make it, then I still want to see this manager retained and allowed to continue putting a new side together.
    What a great film that is too

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Quite!

Me too. If we play like that and still get relegated, so be it - we'll pay our dues for the awful, gutless way we approached the majority of the season. But at least we'll go down fighting. If our midfield is going to be O'Brien and Doyle next season, we'll be fine whatever division we're in.

Amazing what a difference it makes starting on the front foot. We kicked off yesterday and didn’t hoof the ball out of play, like on so many other instances this season. Steady won the first header, we were on the attack and won the penalty in about 30 seconds, I think - during which time Lincoln touched the ball once. We had more efforts on goal, the better chances (other than their wonderfully inept penalty) and let them have the ball in places where they couldn’t do any harm (in their own half).

We have been here before, of course, when we drew with Bury when we should have won. The key is going to be building on this rather than it being a one-off - and somehow going on a winning run and catching up with Macclesfield, Morecambe, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    Amazing what a difference it makes starting on the front foot. We kicked off yesterday and didn’t hoof the ball out of play, like on so many other instances this season. Steady won the first header, we were on the attack and won the penalty in about 30 seconds, I think - during which time Lincoln touched the ball once. We had more efforts on goal, the better chances (other than their wonderfully inept penalty) and let them have the ball in places where they couldn’t do any harm (in their own half).

We have been here before, of course, when we drew with Bury when we should have won. The key is going to be building on this rather than it being a one-off - and somehow going on a winning run and catching up with Macclesfield, Morecambe, etc.
    It was also nice to see more balls played on the floor instead of continuous hoofball.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post

Her Dad wasn't too shabby either.

I thought I'd give the thread I started last week a bump back to the top, because it's even more true after yesterday's performance against Mansfield than it was last week. Energy, aggression and positivity for ninety minutes. We swarmed all over them!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast