+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP Danny Williams

Some Swindon fans have asked for a statue. Coincidentally I was only reading about him yesterday and his league cup success as a manager.

A loyal RUFC player!!

My dad worked with him at the pit and played with him a couple of times I think. Always spoke very highly of him. Shame, isn't it, that talk of statues etc always comes after the person has gone?

Way before my time, but the name Danny Williams is one that every Rotherham supporter will be familiar with, even without knowing that much about him, which is true to me. I never saw him play or manage and I don't think I ever went in his shop, but he is still spoken about today and held in high regard.

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Lasterman View Post
    My dad worked with him at the pit and played with him a couple of times I think. Always spoke very highly of him. Shame, isn't it, that talk of statues etc always comes after the person has gone?
    Indeed, but if you were the recipient you wouldn't want to see the pigeons ****ting on your head would you?

Anyway DW didn't fit into the usual ethnic profiles to warrant a statue

I think he was the last of the 1955 squad, which got us the nearest to the top division. Although Paul Hurst has the record number of appearances for the Millers, I think Danny made the most starts to matches. He was still working at Silverwood pit, whilst playing for us; sometimes coming off a Saturday morning shift!

I read somewhere Hursty didn't quite make the record Brassgnat.

However, Danny was a true legend both as a player and a manager. A bit before my time but arguably the greatest Miller we have ever had.

RIP Danny.

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    I read somewhere Hursty didn't quite make the record Brassgnat.

However, Danny was a true legend both as a player and a manager. A bit before my time but arguably the greatest Miller we have ever had.

RIP Danny.
    I think that the status of some of the wartime football games (Regional FA Cup games?) was changed by the FA, which gave Danny some addition "official club appearances", which meant he overtook Hursty, from what I remember

Blimey Mike, I’d totally forgotten about the hexagonal dice. Nice one.

Saw Danny play quite a few times before he retired in early 60s, one of the best wing halfs in the country, heard a few older supporters say they didnt know how he never played for England. U.T.M. R.I.P. Danny.

RIP Mr Williams. Only knew him as a manager and very good one too. As everyone else has said, loved his shop it was the first place you went to when in town as a lad. My dad always told me he would have been a shoe in for an England cap had he played for a more fashionable team than us. And yes a perfect choice for a statue.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast