+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP Danny Williams

Quote Originally Posted by mikemiller View Post
    What younger fans may not know, is back in the days when Danny was Millers manager there were no replica kits and no club shop at Millmoor. If you wanted a football kit that was in the Millers colours, Danny's shop was the obvious place to go... and there was a fair chance that you would be served by the man himself, especially in the summer break. It was a good place for sports gear/games in general. Remember buying some cricket balls and Howzat cricket "hexagonal dice" there too.
    Still got my Howzat-used to have some great test matches-England(Yorkshire) v anyone and we always won!.

From a time when footballers were on low wages, came to games on the bus (or foot), no twitter accounts , matches lasted 90 minutes, midweek games started in the afternoon and no one sang "he's one of our own" because they all were.

i never saw Danny play in the first team but did when he turned out a few times for the reserves before he became club manager. My dad use to tell me the story, and I think its true, that apparently the Welsh selectors came down to watch him because they thought he was one of their own. Yes he came from a time when stereotyping was not a crime.

He produced a great team that finished 7th in the 2nd Division before losing Houghton and Butler to Hull. He left the club to achieve great success with Swindon.

A smashing, down to earth lad from Rotherham who was and always will be a Magic Miller.

Rest in Peace Danny and many condolences to his family.

A legend in the true sense of the word, and a gentleman also. My outstanding memory of Danny is when the Millers got thrashed by Brighton in the third FA replay at Highbury , ( early 60s) he had our best chance of scoring but hit the big clock behind the goals !!
    Condolences to him and his family

Quote Originally Posted by Lasterman View Post
    My dad worked with him at the pit and played with him a couple of times I think. Always spoke very highly of him. Shame, isn't it, that talk of statues etc always comes after the person has gone?
    I think you'll find Lasterman that I have raised the issue at least twice before on this site alone. I also wrote to the club but didn't even get a reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Indeed, but if you were the recipient you wouldn't want to see the pigeons ****ting on your head would you?

Anyway DW didn't fit into the usual ethnic profiles to warrant a statue
    No need for this kind of comment Grist.

Built a great team as Rotherham manager but the temptation to sell players could not be resisted,to me looking back we were on the verge of something great all ruined through selling.I read once that Joe Mercer said that if Danny had played for a bigger club he would have got International Honours and he was certainly good enough.RIP DANNY and thanks for some great memories.

As a kid I can remember Danny and Ken Waterhouse coming to our school for weekly sessions to pass on their skills and knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattylallacks2 View Post
    No need for this kind of comment Grist.
    Two points

1. Why not?

And

2. When was the vote for the election of you as arbiter of what is or isn’t needed?

Deep down you know I’m right.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Two points

1. Why not?

And

2. When was the vote for the election of you as arbiter of what is or isn’t needed?

Deep down you know I’m right.
    1. In a thread about one of RUFC's greatest servants you cannot resist trying to make a gratuitous political point. It was gratuitous because it was not only disrespectful in this context, but ludicrously lacking in any credibility. Travelling the country following the Millers over the years I have seen and admired outside football grounds statues of people like Tom Finney, Bobby Moore, Johnny Haynes, Matt Busby, George Best, Bobby Charlton, Billy Bremner, Alex Ferguson, Peter Osgood, Brian Clough and Bobby Robson. Perhaps you could tell us about their ethnic profile and give a similar list of names to validate your puerile comments.
    2. If you post a comment I and anyone else on here has the right to challenge it.
    Grow up a bit Grist ffs.

I would ask the question Why make a point like that Grist?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast