+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Memories of Sir Jimmy...

Memories of Sir Jimmy...

For no other reason than a sudden fit of nostalgia, probably due to what would have been his 97th birthday just passing, I was reading some of the stuff from our better times and then moved on to tributes and obituaries to Sir Jimmy. This piece by Dave McVay seemed worth sharing for those perhaps too young to have known the man's times at Meadow Lane.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...-Football.html

The esteem in which our greatest manager was held was illustrated at his funeral. This is from the BBC report...

"Many big names were there to pay tribute.

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson said: "He meant a lot to me. When I was a young coach in '72 he gave me great advice way back then and was always available for advice.

"And particularly when I wasn't doing well, he'd always give you a phone call and he'd come across to a game and sit with you for hours.

"He took care in people, and time. I think that's what my lasting memory will be of the man. Fantastic."

Former football manager Lawrie McNenemy said: "Jimmy was a long-standing friend of everybody in the game, certainly of my age and when I was managing early on, Jimmy was around at Notts County."

Dave Mackay, a former player for Nottingham Forest and Derby County, said: "He was a great football manager and he'll be remembered by everybody."

Former Spurs and Leicester manager David Pleat said: "He never sought the high life, he was wonderfully dedicated. He was quirky, very funny at times, but he was totally devoted to football."

More from 'The Scotsman' here...

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/notts...s-86-1-1134751

__________________________________________________ _________________________________________________
    If you're a young 'un and wonder why everyone goes on about this old bloke from the olden days, have a Google and you'll soon find plenty of great stuff that'll explain.

Last edited by SwalePie; 03-02-2019 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    For no other reason than a sudden fit of nostalgia, probably due to what would have been his 97th birthday just passing, I was reading some of the stuff from our better times and then moved on to tributes and obituaries to Sir Jimmy. This piece by Dave McVay seemed worth sharing for those perhaps too young to have known the man's times at Meadow Lane.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...-Football.html

The esteem in which our greatest manager was held was illustrated at his funeral. This is from the BBC report...

"Many big names were there to pay tribute.

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson said: "He meant a lot to me. When I was a young coach in '72 he gave me great advice way back then and was always available for advice.

"And particularly when I wasn't doing well, he'd always give you a phone call and he'd come across to a game and sit with you for hours.

"He took care in people, and time. I think that's what my lasting memory will be of the man. Fantastic."

Former football manager Lawrie McNenemy said: "Jimmy was a long-standing friend of everybody in the game, certainly of my age and when I was managing early on, Jimmy was around at Notts County."

Dave Mackay, a former player for Nottingham Forest and Derby County, said: "He was a great football manager and he'll be remembered by everybody."

Former Spurs and Leicester manager David Pleat said: "He never sought the high life, he was wonderfully dedicated. He was quirky, very funny at times, but he was totally devoted to football."

More from 'The Scotsman' here...

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/notts...s-86-1-1134751

__________________________________________________ _________________________________________________
    If you're a young 'un and wonder why everyone goes on about this old bloke from the olden days, have a Google and you'll soon find plenty of great stuff that'll explain.

I was lucky like a few on here to have seen Jimmy at our club from day 1.He will never ever be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by JoePass View Post
    I was lucky like a few on here to have seen Jimmy at our club from day 1.He will never ever be forgotten.
    True. There aren't many advantages of being old, but probably the best one is that you can say "I saw Jimmy Sirrel's teams".

I, if yer canna say anything good about somebody, yer say nothing at all.

The Master. Simply one of the best football managers that the FL has seen in any generation. The greatest at this Club, certainly in living memory.

Great to hear his name chanted yesterday - (and to see the names of Stubbs & O'Brien on a team sheet) - soared memories of his famous on pitch speech prior to that critical last game the last find we were on the verge of relegation.

As long as Sir Jimmy's spirit prevails I just fancy we wil find a way to survive. There is only 1 Jimmy Sirrel, full stop, the end.

My abiding memory of Sir Jimmy was an interview he gave with Star Soccer (or whatever followed it on Central) when he was asked his ambitions for the season and he responded: “My ambition is that when I go to sleep at night, I wake up the next morning.” One of a kind, just happy I got to see some of his great teams.

This is one thread where we will all agree. There will never be another Jimmy Sirrel. Fantastic memories, can't ever remember thinking his teams had given anything less than 100%.

Also part of one of the greatest partnerships in football - Sirrel & Wheeler.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridg4d_Pie_ View Post
    I, if yer canna say anything good about somebody, yer say nothing at all.
    Yeah dinnea score, you canna win.

Any more?

I once asked him whilst sharing a pint who his favourite ever signing was, but he found it very difficult and unfair to pick out one individual, he rolled off several names but then said “You see I’ve always believed, why bother spending a million pound on one good player when you can buy ten good players for a 100 grand each” 💕

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Yeah dinnea score, you canna win.

Any more?
    Yeah,right there Laddie.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast