+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Charlie Slater

One CS comment from Saturdays game i though was amusing - "the inflatables are laying limply by the side of the pitch"...

Quote Originally Posted by Pie1862 View Post
    One CS comment from Saturdays game i though was amusing - "the inflatables are laying limply by the side of the pitch"...
    Yes that was amusing but I think it was only by flaccident.

Quote Originally Posted by cher1 View Post
    It's a really good partnership, a breath of fresh air. You can actually follow what's going on and there's none of the odd excitement when the opposition scored that Colin Slater used to display. Very entertaining and the FB videos afterwards are good to watch. Will Stall ever sing?

Just one criticism from me, I might be biased with Matlock Pie being a ref, but there are frequent references to refs 'bottling it' and 'evening things up' which irritate me. Just because a ref sees things differently, or makes a mistake (which is fine to point out of course), to infer that refs are making wrong decisions out of choice is a bit daft. It smacks of what you hear yelled from the stands as opposed to actual insight. Dons tin hat
    I have zero refereeing experience, but it seems pretty clear to me that refs do even it up. It usually happens when they realise that they messed up, so they look for any excuse to give a penalty or send someone off. It can also happen when they haven't messed up but one set of supporters thinks they have. I've seen too many bad decisions that follow this pattern to believe it's just an honest mistake.

In fact it happened the other day down at Colchester. They had a shot cleared off the line that their fans thought was a goal. The ref gave a dubious penalty shortly after, but he pretty much had his whistle in his mouth before their player went down.

They don't Slackeh, they really don't.

Quote Originally Posted by cher1 View Post
    They don't Slackeh, they really don't.
    What, never? So if a ref has realised he’s dropped a clanger in a match there’s no circumstances in which he might say, give a marginal penalty that he wouldn’t ordinarily have given to even up the mistake he made earlier on? A lot of big decisions aren’t really that clear cut. Both penalties last week for instance.

I think refs generally get a lot of undeserved stick, but they are human after all.

Quote Originally Posted by tied_up_in_notts View Post
    This was the exact game I was thinking of! Charles Brakespeare, wasn't it? He's a horrendous referee. If this wasn't evening things up, I don't know what it is.

Yes it was Breakspear, and the Notts penalty was given in the 89th minute, just as the ref realised that the dodgy penalty he gave City in the first half was going to decide the game. I wouldn't offer this as proof that referees always try to even things up, but nobody will ever convince me that Breakspear didn't do it in this game.

All of the officials are observed by an assessor at every game at Notts' level. There's then a lengthy debrief post match followed by a written report submitted on their performance. There isn't much room for evening things up. There's always room for errors unfortunately, and as more and more refs pack in because of abuse,actual assaults and minimal rewards, the pool gets smaller, and standard don't improve sadly. Guess we're all looking at this from different viewpoints and I suppose mine will be different from everyone else's on here after hearing things from 'the other side'.

Well, maybe not everyone's Cher.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast