+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Charlie Slater

Charlie Slater

BBC local radio presenters usually lapse into unwitting Alan Partridge parodies, but has anyone noticed that he seems to be bucking that trend and going full urban?

I've noticed hints of it now and again in commentary but I've just watched a report he's done about Dexter Blackstock and it sounds like Ali G is doing the voice over.

Charlie's got that slightly 'cheeky chappie'/'jack the lad' style about him, but I'm okay with that because it brings a bit of humour and possibly appeals to a younger audience. Colin Slater was great, but his appeal was probably towards an older audience. It doesn't do any harm that his successor is a younger commentator who might connect with new, younger potential fans.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Charlie's got that slightly 'cheeky chappie'/'jack the lad' style about him, but I'm okay with that because it brings a bit of humour and possibly appeals to a younger audience. Colin Slater was great, but his appeal was probably towards an older audience. It doesn't do any harm that his successor is a younger commentator who might connect with new, younger potential fans.
    Agreed.

Colin Slater was the voice of Notts since I started supporting (over 46 years ago) so it's obvious that I wondered whether Charlie would easily take over. I think he has done a great job - brought a different style, is very entertaining, has a good partnership with Stall - would be a great shame if at the start of his Notts commentary we went out the league.

Yeah I like him too, he also doesn't bottle the awkward questions to managers.

Anyway it was just a whimsical aside about the way he speaks sometimes, but what do I know maybe he does grime battle raps when he's not commentating on Notts or doing the local weather?

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    Yeah I like him too, he also doesn't bottle the awkward questions to managers.

Anyway it was just a whimsical aside about the way he speaks sometimes, but what do I know maybe he does grime battle raps when he's not commentating on Notts or doing the local weather?
    He was on air a few days back discussing Notts and feeling up his own tattooed arms, so seems to fancy himself a bit. In fairness, he has kept himself in shape. I was like that once. Not for long mind.

I loved his Grimsby anecdote he told on the Facebook live following the announcement that the club was for sale about the police horse getting punched 'but the horse took it well, to be fair'
    Last edited by SwalePie; 06-02-2019 at 11:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    Agreed.

Colin Slater was the voice of Notts since I started supporting (over 46 years ago) so it's obvious that I wondered whether Charlie would easily take over. I think he has done a great job - brought a different style, is very entertaining, has a good partnership with Stall - would be a great shame if at the start of his Notts commentary we went out the league.
    I feel the same. Colin Slater is/was an absolute club legend, but Charlie Slater has brought his own style since he started. Him and Stall are an excellent commentary team. Just the right balance of fun, seriousness, and actual human emotion. I mean you really get just how awful things have been from them. Plus I know they're supposed to be impartial, but I love it when I hear Stall celebrating a Notts goal in the background.

I Only listen occasionally, due to living out of the reception area. I think Stallard and Charlie are excellent. However, if you're reading this, it's not"them players" it's those.

It's a really good partnership, a breath of fresh air. You can actually follow what's going on and there's none of the odd excitement when the opposition scored that Colin Slater used to display. Very entertaining and the FB videos afterwards are good to watch. Will Stall ever sing?

Just one criticism from me, I might be biased with Matlock Pie being a ref, but there are frequent references to refs 'bottling it' and 'evening things up' which irritate me. Just because a ref sees things differently, or makes a mistake (which is fine to point out of course), to infer that refs are making wrong decisions out of choice is a bit daft. It smacks of what you hear yelled from the stands as opposed to actual insight. Dons tin hat

Quote Originally Posted by Simon the Pieman View Post
    I Only listen occasionally, due to living out of the reception area. I think Stallard and Charlie are excellent. However, if you're reading this, it's not"them players" it's those.
    Agreed...and everything that gets discussed is not answered by 'well it's just one of them isn't it?'

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast