+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Charlie Slater

Whilst I’m sure ref’s like all professionals would believe they would act in a certain way. But they are after all human and human’s cannot control their subconscious actions.

Referee's aren't robots and a lot of decision's they make are down to their opinions of incidents I have no idea why he gave either of those penalties but it wouldn't be difficult for him to say someone was being held, which happens all the time and is down to each referee on whether they feel like giving a penalty for it. That's absolutely what Mr Brakespeare did.

You can't pretend that feeling some doubt/guilt about a decision you've made earlier in the game might affect a referee's judgement, even a tiny amount later on in the game when a similar decision has to be made.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Don_ORiordan View Post
    Whilst I’m sure ref’s like all professionals would believe they would act in a certain way. But they are after all human and human’s cannot control their subconscious actions.
    It's a really interesting debate isn't it. Subconscious actions are a long way from a conscious choice to even things up though.

If you think about it, a ref makes a decision that's based on what he believed to be right at the time. So to want to even things up, somehow he'd have to decide later that he had been wrong earlier on during the game, and then come up with a way to put it right.

Do any of you ref? It would be good to hear the thoughts of other refs. It works also be fascinating to hear what people think could be done to improve reffing standards. More and more are packing it in, and that could have a long term impact on the quality of officiating we see (and some might say it's bad enough already - looking at you Darren Deadman).

Comes across as a bit of a big time Charlie to me.

Quote Originally Posted by cher1 View Post
    It's a really interesting debate isn't it. Subconscious actions are a long way from a conscious choice to even things up though.

If you think about it, a ref makes a decision that's based on what he believed to be right at the time. So to want to even things up, somehow he'd have to decide later that he had been wrong earlier on during the game, and then come up with a way to put it right.

Do any of you ref? It would be good to hear the thoughts of other refs. It works also be fascinating to hear what people think could be done to improve reffing standards. More and more are packing it in, and that could have a long term impact on the quality of officiating we see (and some might say it's bad enough already - looking at you Darren Deadman).
    Thing is though, with that Breakspeare example, I'm fairly sure nobody in the crowd or on the pitch thought either were penalties. So for the referee to be the only one who thought they were, despite being the one person whose responsibility it is to get these things right, seems pretty mad.

Maybe getting one (i.e. the first one) horribly wrong would be understandable, but for it to happen twice in one match suggests it has to be evening things up. Otherwise the guy is so astonishingly incompetent that he's just seeing things that weren't there, to the point where the scoreline reflects things he has imagined rather than what actually happened. If that's the case, why is he refereeing professional football matches?

Actually, I seem to remember in this game Gary Liddle got poleaxed by a City player and had to be stretchered off. The ref totally ignored it and gave a goal kick. It was a shocking challenge - straight-red material. Simply bizarre.
    Last edited by slack_pie; 10-02-2019 at 05:20 AM.

Agree it’s interesting. But don’t see how the decision being influenced by a ref’s subconscious cannot be even-ing it up. Whether conscious or subconscious the person in charge has taken a decision that they would not have done in the isolation of say of another game.

As to reffing, not football at any reasonable level (because of the abuse), but have done rugby (which was ok) and cricket (which is starting unfortunately to go the way of football)

I would say in both (even though never a professional) you do your best to give the right decisions, and try to see each in isolation. But you’d have to be completely lacking in any human empathy and any self doubt at all for that to be the case 100% of the time.

No doubt some ref’s fit that bill.....

Very sad that the number of decent ref’s is falling. The professional game is just a reflection of what is happening to a greater degree further down the ladder unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Don_ORiordan View Post
    Very sad that the number of decent ref’s is falling. The professional game is just a reflection of what is happening to a greater degree further down the ladder unfortunately.
    Mmm. The more you see of what goes in in the lower levels, the easier it is to understand why the pool of decent refs is so small. Matlock is a really good ref/liner - obviously I'm biased, but he regularly gets great feedback from players and management. That said, he had a spell recently where within 3 weeks he was told 'I hope you crash your car', 'your jaw will be hanging' and a player shoved him, then took his shirt off and tried to attack him. Loads of people would walk away after one of those things, let alone all of them. There's a fundamental issue relating to respect within the game, and until the FA does something about that, there will be too few decent officials to go round. Who would want to take a load of abuse and 'work' 4 hours on a Saturday for £30?

a player shoved him, then took his shirt off and tried to attack him.
    Shoving is bad enough, but taking a ref's shirt off is unforgivable, especially in this weather.

I was roped into being a lino once, and I was hopeless. I was watching the game as a spectator rather than looking across the line to see who the last man was. I only realised this after the game, and have never been tempted to have another go.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Shoving is bad enough, but taking a ref's shirt off is unforgivable, especially in this weather.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123