+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Another win for Motherwell, five in a row

Another win for Motherwell, five in a row

Motherwell scrambled to a fifth consecutive league win with a 2-1 over St Mirren in Paisley. Fine goals from Jake Hastie and Allan Campbell got us over the line and we move up the table to seventh place. - External Link

Wonderful goals.

Five wins in a row is not to be sniffed at regardless of how or where they come.

Feet should be kept well on the ground given the nature of the run though, we're still very much at the start of the rebuilding.

A great result last night set up by two of our young guns, Hastie and Campbell. Hastie's goal in particualr was something special. The team showed durability and resilience in coming back quickly after the Buddies equalised. Five wins on the trot...who'd havethought it. We're still in with a shout of a top 6 place after a poor first half of the season.

It's a remarkable turnaround and though I think our chances of being in the top six are remote, it's nice to have some fun for a few weeks.

More importantly it's showing there's some hope for next season.

Top six is a big ask as we have a run of difficult games coming up. At least the winning streak will give us a bit of confidence going into those games. Being clear of the relegation zone will also take the fear factor out of our game.

Agree all the above but ask why has it taken Robinson until now to realise when had the players start of season ?
    Why did he sign Connor Sammon and waste a wage ? Why have we secured a fat & unfit McCormack ?
    What has changed his tactic from a long ball game ?
    I’m asked these same questions at work of fans other clubs .... No answer

Hastie probably wasn't ready in fairness, his spell at Alloa will definitely have helped him. Even Turnbull was - and still is - far from consistent.

Sammon was, is and always will be a total mystery signing to me, inexplicable.

McCormack, why not...he's supposedly not costing us much, if he gets fit he'll add something no one else in our squad has. If not it's no biggie.

What changed his tactics? Probably the fact they no longer worked, nothing more and nothing less. I was disappointed - I think we all were - that there was no attempt over summer to build on our style from last season. However, Robinson would have - not altogether unreasonably - pointed out that solid midtable and two cup finals suggested change was an unnecessary risk.

The first nine games showed him to be wrong, emphatically so - so he changed. Since then we have accumulated points at a rate which would normally see us fourth in the table over a season and no worse than fifth. Additionally from when the transfer window opened and he could bring in some pace on the wings, we have changed to a much more pleasing style.

Essentially you have to ask, had we sacked Robinson for our terrible start, would we have found a replacement that has done such a good job since the beginning of November? Mibbes aye, mibbes naw...but had we found that person who produced our current run since then and our refreshing new style, he would be heaped with praise.

Robinson will not get that ofc because he's correcting a lot of what was his own errors. We'll no doubt struggle in the coming fixtures because despite our winning streak against dross, we are still very limited...and there is still huge concern over his eye for attacking players. But we're safe by the second weekend in February which is never to be sniffed at and we're reaping the benefits of some excellent youth work - it's time to take a deep breath and enjoy the rest of the season. The chance for real negativity will no doubt return soon enough!
    Last edited by Handsome_Devil; 08-02-2019 at 10:11 AM.

The above a fair comment (note how not included as a quote my reply as irritates me .. why duplicate as already above)
    Last edited by dasdeid; 08-02-2019 at 05:33 PM.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)