Get your very own personalised football gifts!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Derby to strengthen defence...maybe.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    4,534

    Derby to strengthen defence...maybe.

    Rumoured in the DT that we are interested in taking Efe Ambrose from Hibs.
    Former regular with Celtic who has recently activated a clause making him a free agent.
    Desperation time or shrewd move...any thoughts?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    2,657
    Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Rumoured in the DT that we are interested in taking Efe Ambrose from Hibs.
    Former regular with Celtic who has recently activated a clause making him a free agent.
    Desperation time or shrewd move...any thoughts?
    RA I've only seen him occasionally on tv but the Hibs fans rave about him He made a few defensive mistakes at Celtic that's why they let him go But he couldn't have been that bad he made over 100 appearances for them I Denver him playing for them when they beat Barcelona and he won MoM He played defensive midfield for Nigeria so that could be useful I think this could be a good signing just been watching him in Y/tube he's very strong great leap and a great goal celebrations Just a word of warning Blackburn tried to sign him but couldn't get international clearance Hope we've done our homework on that

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Down South Darlings
    Posts
    3,549
    Hopefully never see him in the 1st 11, but I don't have any issue with signing cover at low cost.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by AdiSalisbury View Post
    Hopefully never see him in the 1st 11, but I don't have any issue with signing cover at low cost.
    If he's not good enough to play in the first XI, Adi, why sign him

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Down South Darlings
    Posts
    3,549
    Glad I'm not the manager GP... I don't see the point in signing someone superb and expensive, to sit on the bench. Needs to be decent cover, but no more, so don't mind him not being 1st choice. Hopefully don't see him in the XI due to hoping for no injuries to Keogh / Tomori. Not to forget that Davies will hopefully be fit for next season, and Tomori going back after his loan, means we have to be careful with filling the CB position.

    I don't know - just doesn't excite me, but we do need someone capable.

  6. #6
    It is an enigma wrapped in a puzzle etc

    Who'd be a manger, eh? Second guessed by fans whatever he does and then takes flak.

    It is a position that does cause problems though, and so much depends on what division we play in next year. As is most likely it will be championship, then Keogh/Davies starting may be the objective, but if somehow we do manage to sneak up, what then. Both probably wouldn't start in PL although Tomori would if he either signed of did another 12m loan.

    We have to take the short term view though, as one injury to either Keogh or Tomori (or even a suspension) could destabilise our path to the playoffs, which is why letting Pearce go is so strange. He is bizarrely the sort of player we need right now, adequate cover but maybe not able to step up to PL. Presumably not as expensive as an international free agent, and also a known quantity: perhaps we could loan him back from Millwall !!

    So in the short term we need a stop gap, and in the long term we may or may not need to retool the CB position, depending on results over the next 3 months (which in turn depend on getting adequate CB cover!). i wouldnt be averse to an "overqualified" back up, but then I'm not paying his wages! At 30 he may be a decent shout

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    2,657
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    It is an enigma wrapped in a puzzle etc

    Who'd be a manger, eh? Second guessed by fans whatever he does and then takes flak.

    It is a position that does cause problems though, and so much depends on what division we play in next year. As is most likely it will be championship, then Keogh/Davies starting may be the objective, but if somehow we do manage to sneak up, what then. Both probably wouldn't start in PL although Tomori would if he either signed of did another 12m loan.

    We have to take the short term view though, as one injury to either Keogh or Tomori (or even a suspension) could destabilise our path to the playoffs, which is why letting Pearce go is so strange. He is bizarrely the sort of player we need right now, adequate cover but maybe not able to step up to PL. Presumably not as expensive as an international free agent, and also a known quantity: perhaps we could loan him back from Millwall !!

    So in the short term we need a stop gap, and in the long term we may or may not need to retool the CB position, depending on results over the next 3 months (which in turn depend on getting adequate CB cover!). i wouldnt be averse to an "overqualified" back up, but then I'm not paying his wages! At 30 he may be a decent shout
    Shouldn't imagine his wages would be high his previous contract at Hibs was in the second division before their promotion Yes he's probably a stopgap or he may deserve longer term contract wait and see He's been in demand and if Tony Mowbray wanted him that's good enough for me Can't understand people writing him off before he's even played maybe they thought we could afford to get John Stones. As for next season in not convinced Davies is a Lampard type player he's a great defender but distribution is shocking and FL game revolves around passing out from the back

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    2,657
    Quote Originally Posted by AdiSalisbury View Post
    Glad I'm not the manager GP... I don't see the point in signing someone superb and expensive, to sit on the bench. Needs to be decent cover, but no more, so don't mind him not being 1st choice. Hopefully don't see him in the XI due to hoping for no injuries to Keogh / Tomori. Not to forget that Davies will hopefully be fit for next season, and Tomori going back after his loan, means we have to be careful with filling the CB position.

    I don't know - just doesn't excite me, but we do need someone capable.
    Adi he's also a right back and played a lot of games for Nigeria in the defensive midfield role

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Down South Darlings
    Posts
    3,549
    Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    Adi he's also a right back and played a lot of games for Nigeria in the defensive midfield role
    That all sounds great mista, ticks the boxes - so why isn't he being guarded by Hibs? At the age of 30, he should be in his prime, and it would be a crime to let someone like that leave on a free. Not adverse to the lad, could be just what we need, or could be another Ledley. If FL thinks he'll do the job for us short term like GP says, then that'll do me, but totally agree with the Pearce sentiment, can only suppose it's a personal thing for Pearce wanting 1st team football.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    4,534
    Quote Originally Posted by AdiSalisbury View Post
    That all sounds great mista, ticks the boxes - so why isn't he being guarded by Hibs? At the age of 30, he should be in his prime, and it would be a crime to let someone like that leave on a free. Not adverse to the lad, could be just what we need, or could be another Ledley. If FL thinks he'll do the job for us short term like GP says, then that'll do me, but totally agree with the Pearce sentiment, can only suppose it's a personal thing for Pearce wanting 1st team football.
    Understand your concern Adi but the only thing he really has in common with Ledley is that, if he comes, he’ll be signed as an out of contract free agent.
    Younger and apparently fitter than Ledley. I think he kept his options open at Hibs because he always had an eye on trying to prove himself in England and at 6’3’’ with a reputation for versatility he could be a useful acquisition.
    Never heard of him before tbh, but then I’d never heard of Stimac or Wanchope either. Seems to be training with us so FL should get a good idea of his ability.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    2,657
    Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Understand your concern Adi but the only thing he really has in common with Ledley is that, if he comes, he’ll be signed as an out of contract free agent.
    Younger and apparently fitter than Ledley. I think he kept his options open at Hibs because he always had an eye on trying to prove himself in England and at 6’3’’ with a reputation for versatility he could be a useful acquisition.
    Never heard of him before tbh, but then I’d never heard of Stimac or Wanchope either. Seems to be training with us so FL should get a good idea of his ability.
    RA I heard yesterday it was Ledley who told Lampard to get him They were team mates at Celtic

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    4,534
    Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    RA I heard yesterday it was Ledley who told Lampard to get him They were team mates at Celtic
    That’s a worry.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    2,657
    Quote Originally Posted by AdiSalisbury View Post
    That all sounds great mista, ticks the boxes - so why isn't he being guarded by Hibs? At the age of 30, he should be in his prime, and it would be a crime to let someone like that leave on a free. Not adverse to the lad, could be just what we need, or could be another Ledley. If FL thinks he'll do the job for us short term like GP says, then that'll do me, but totally agree with the Pearce sentiment, can only suppose it's a personal thing for Pearce wanting 1st team football.
    Adi it was his choice to leave Hibs they wanted him to stay I don't know if he will be any good or not But to rely on just two centre halves for the rest of the season would be a massive gamble

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    4,534
    Close to completion apparently.

  15. #15
    The vinegar strokes?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,691
    All done bar the SHOUTING it would seem

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    4,534
    Well there’s a first...I’ve never heard a football signing being likened to orgasmic delight before...not even by you two...not even when we signed Dean Saunders...

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    387
    Quote Originally Posted by AdiSalisbury View Post
    That all sounds great mista, ticks the boxes - so why isn't he being guarded by Hibs? At the age of 30, he should be in his prime, and it would be a crime to let someone like that leave on a free. Not adverse to the lad, could be just what we need, or could be another Ledley. If FL thinks he'll do the job for us short term like GP says, then that'll do me, but totally agree with the Pearce sentiment, can only suppose it's a personal thing for Pearce wanting 1st team football.
    I'm sure Pearce wanted a loan move to get some game time too Adi. but he's not getting a look in at Millwall just warming the bench. Might as well stayed.

  19. #19
    Scotch press confirm he has signed, although club has not yet! They always were ahead of themselves

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,691
    DET reports that Efe has said he's joined till the end of the season. I also saw a photo of him in a Rams shirt posted on FB this morning but can't find it again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •