+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Derby to strengthen defence...maybe.

Derby to strengthen defence...maybe.

Rumoured in the DT that we are interested in taking Efe Ambrose from Hibs.
    Former regular with Celtic who has recently activated a clause making him a free agent.
    Desperation time or shrewd move...any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Rumoured in the DT that we are interested in taking Efe Ambrose from Hibs.
    Former regular with Celtic who has recently activated a clause making him a free agent.
    Desperation time or shrewd move...any thoughts?
    RA I've only seen him occasionally on tv but the Hibs fans rave about him He made a few defensive mistakes at Celtic that's why they let him go But he couldn't have been that bad he made over 100 appearances for them I Denver him playing for them when they beat Barcelona and he won MoM He played defensive midfield for Nigeria so that could be useful I think this could be a good signing just been watching him in Y/tube he's very strong great leap and a great goal celebrations Just a word of warning Blackburn tried to sign him but couldn't get international clearance Hope we've done our homework on that

Hopefully never see him in the 1st 11, but I don't have any issue with signing cover at low cost.

Quote Originally Posted by AdiSalisbury View Post
    Hopefully never see him in the 1st 11, but I don't have any issue with signing cover at low cost.
    If he's not good enough to play in the first XI, Adi, why sign him

Glad I'm not the manager GP... I don't see the point in signing someone superb and expensive, to sit on the bench. Needs to be decent cover, but no more, so don't mind him not being 1st choice. Hopefully don't see him in the XI due to hoping for no injuries to Keogh / Tomori. Not to forget that Davies will hopefully be fit for next season, and Tomori going back after his loan, means we have to be careful with filling the CB position.

I don't know - just doesn't excite me, but we do need someone capable.

It is an enigma wrapped in a puzzle etc

Who'd be a manger, eh? Second guessed by fans whatever he does and then takes flak.

It is a position that does cause problems though, and so much depends on what division we play in next year. As is most likely it will be championship, then Keogh/Davies starting may be the objective, but if somehow we do manage to sneak up, what then. Both probably wouldn't start in PL although Tomori would if he either signed of did another 12m loan.

We have to take the short term view though, as one injury to either Keogh or Tomori (or even a suspension) could destabilise our path to the playoffs, which is why letting Pearce go is so strange. He is bizarrely the sort of player we need right now, adequate cover but maybe not able to step up to PL. Presumably not as expensive as an international free agent, and also a known quantity: perhaps we could loan him back from Millwall !!

So in the short term we need a stop gap, and in the long term we may or may not need to retool the CB position, depending on results over the next 3 months (which in turn depend on getting adequate CB cover!). i wouldnt be averse to an "overqualified" back up, but then I'm not paying his wages! At 30 he may be a decent shout

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    It is an enigma wrapped in a puzzle etc

Who'd be a manger, eh? Second guessed by fans whatever he does and then takes flak.

It is a position that does cause problems though, and so much depends on what division we play in next year. As is most likely it will be championship, then Keogh/Davies starting may be the objective, but if somehow we do manage to sneak up, what then. Both probably wouldn't start in PL although Tomori would if he either signed of did another 12m loan.

We have to take the short term view though, as one injury to either Keogh or Tomori (or even a suspension) could destabilise our path to the playoffs, which is why letting Pearce go is so strange. He is bizarrely the sort of player we need right now, adequate cover but maybe not able to step up to PL. Presumably not as expensive as an international free agent, and also a known quantity: perhaps we could loan him back from Millwall !!

So in the short term we need a stop gap, and in the long term we may or may not need to retool the CB position, depending on results over the next 3 months (which in turn depend on getting adequate CB cover!). i wouldnt be averse to an "overqualified" back up, but then I'm not paying his wages! At 30 he may be a decent shout
    Shouldn't imagine his wages would be high his previous contract at Hibs was in the second division before their promotion Yes he's probably a stopgap or he may deserve longer term contract wait and see He's been in demand and if Tony Mowbray wanted him that's good enough for me Can't understand people writing him off before he's even played maybe they thought we could afford to get John Stones. As for next season in not convinced Davies is a Lampard type player he's a great defender but distribution is shocking and FL game revolves around passing out from the back

Glad I'm not the manager GP... I don't see the point in signing someone superb and expensive, to sit on the bench. Needs to be decent cover, but no more, so don't mind him not being 1st choice. Hopefully don't see him in the XI due to hoping for no injuries to Keogh / Tomori. Not to forget that Davies will hopefully be fit for next season, and Tomori going back after his loan, means we have to be careful with filling the CB position.

I don't know - just doesn't excite me, but we do need someone capable.
    Adi he's also a right back and played a lot of games for Nigeria in the defensive midfield role

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    Adi he's also a right back and played a lot of games for Nigeria in the defensive midfield role
    That all sounds great mista, ticks the boxes - so why isn't he being guarded by Hibs? At the age of 30, he should be in his prime, and it would be a crime to let someone like that leave on a free. Not adverse to the lad, could be just what we need, or could be another Ledley. If FL thinks he'll do the job for us short term like GP says, then that'll do me, but totally agree with the Pearce sentiment, can only suppose it's a personal thing for Pearce wanting 1st team football.

That all sounds great mista, ticks the boxes - so why isn't he being guarded by Hibs? At the age of 30, he should be in his prime, and it would be a crime to let someone like that leave on a free. Not adverse to the lad, could be just what we need, or could be another Ledley. If FL thinks he'll do the job for us short term like GP says, then that'll do me, but totally agree with the Pearce sentiment, can only suppose it's a personal thing for Pearce wanting 1st team football.
    Understand your concern Adi but the only thing he really has in common with Ledley is that, if he comes, he’ll be signed as an out of contract free agent.
    Younger and apparently fitter than Ledley. I think he kept his options open at Hibs because he always had an eye on trying to prove himself in England and at 6’3’’ with a reputation for versatility he could be a useful acquisition.
    Never heard of him before tbh, but then I’d never heard of Stimac or Wanchope either. Seems to be training with us so FL should get a good idea of his ability.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)